Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Traverse LT. I have had all of the common problems (Stabilitrak, Throttle Body, A/C issues, ect.) I recently let a REAL mechanic look at the car and he determined that it was the main engine FUSE BOX that generates all of the major problems with the traverse. He replaced the entire main fuse box and I havent had any electrical problems or random codes in over 6 months! He said that that is a common problem with Traverse, Impala, and Camaro.

Quit chasing problems. Buy a new fuse box.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Traverse is in the shop at the Dealer again for this issue. Last time, they replaced the computer. Now, they say it's the "underhood fuse block assembly" - I hate to look stupid but is that what you are recommending they replace? They're saying it's not covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty or the extended warranty and should cost about $525+tax. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
If you have an early 2012 or older, the non-V92 fuse and relay box is $104.85. The V92 fuse and relay box is $144.60. The non-V92 box doesn't have contacts for the trailering fuses and relays.

https://gmpartsdepartment.com/parts...iteid=214533&vehicleid=313437&diagram=GM09160

If you have a later 2012 or newer, the fuse and relay box is identical for V92 or non-V92, but the non-V92 doesn't come with trailer fuses and relays, I'm told.

The non-V92 is $142.98 and the V92 is $144.85.

https://gmpartsdepartment.com/parts...cleid=417554&diagram=GM09160&diagramCallOut=1

·
Registered
3 Posts
We are having the exact same issues with our 2013 traverse. Reduced engine power, traction control off and stabilitrak. We have currently replaced the throttle body, high pressure fuel pump and pedal. None of them resolved the issue.
Is this fuse box the one under the hood or inside the car?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Wonder what fails on a fuse box. Bad mechanical ground ?
There really shouldn't be a ground on the fuse box. All the fuses and relays are on the positive side of the circuit. I guess some of the relays may have grounds????

I'd guess an open circuit somehow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
gotta be mechanical / intermittent

sad situation when simple stuff malfunctions

I had a Pontiac whose ECU had a poor ground to the chassis. Took the dealer two days to find it. Symptom was highly variable idle speed.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There doesn't seem to be any one answer to this problem, even though several of us have experienced the same symptoms. My '13 ended up having an erratic wheel speed sensor, which the dealership (after I finally gave in and took it there) diagnosed by hooking up a mobile device of some kind and driving around. That was 2-3 months ago and I've had no further problems. I'm glad I didn't replace the throttle body on a whim (which was suggested as a potential remedy) because it wouldn't have helped in my case.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Fuse Box

I have a 2012 Traverse LT. I have had all of the common problems (Stabilitrak, Throttle Body, A/C issues, ect.) I recently let a REAL mechanic look at the car and he determined that it was the main engine FUSE BOX that generates all of the major problems with the traverse. He replaced the entire main fuse box and I havent had any electrical problems or random codes in over 6 months! He said that that is a common problem with Traverse, Impala, and Camaro.

I just read this after I replaced the throttle body (hoping part of my problem was the throttle body sensor) and adding to another thread. Today, a day after doing this, my wife got the "Service Brake System" and "Traction Control Off". Did anyone start by replacing just one fuse or relay? Are there any videos on how to replace the fuse box? And price? Any bulletins by GM on this? I'd ask if there is a recall, but I know what the answer will be ("Instead of issuing a recall we are no longer making the Volt, Bolt, Impala, and Cruze models").

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Replacing the fuse & relay box is easy. A couple of bolts and it pulls right off. A new one runs about $165 on gmpartsdepartment.com

Disconnect and tape off the red battery lead.

4 Positive leads removed & taped.jpg

Loosen the two bolts and remove the old one. There may be some clips around the edges to unclip; I think.

2 Old fuse block before replacement.jpg

Install the new one and tighten the two bolts.

5 Old fuse block removed, 3 connectors beneath.jpg

Reconnect the battery lead.

7 New fuse block installed.jpg

But I'm skeptical it will fix your problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this site and dont mean to sound stupid but what is the difference between a fuse box and fuse block? My 2011 traverse is having all the same problems.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Same component - different words.

Be aware you have a 2nd one inside the car under the passenger dash. Some folks have had windshield/sun roof leaks that got it wet and caused issues.

·
Registered
136 Posts

Well, after replacing the throttle body (there was a throttle body related error, though), it didn't get rid of the Stabilitrak message, but after that I was getting Service Brake System message. So after searching the Traverse forum and the Acadia forum, I noticed that if the brake fluid is low it can throw this message. So I checked and found the brake fluid was a bit low. So I filled it to the line and after that so far I have not noticed a Stabilitrak or Service Brake message. I drove it a total of maybe 250 miles so far without the messages popping up. Now it looks like I have a brake fluid leak (probably master cylinder). So I will keep an eye on the level and see how slowly the brake fluid is leaking. We had our first brake job last summer (150,000 miles) where they replaced the pads and rear rotors (not front as it did not seem to need it), but did not flush the brake fluid system. If the leak is slow, I will just keep an eye on it and just top it off until it gets worse.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just replaced the fuse/relay box in my 2010 Traverese. Now it will not start. When you turn the key radio etc. powers on. We assume that it is the anti theft system, so we tried to reset. Still no luck. Does anyone have suggestions?

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Did you make sure you have all the appropriate fuses installed in the new one?

I replaced mine in my 2011 (non-V92 version to V92 version) with no issues.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well, after replacing the throttle body (there was a throttle body related error, though), it didn't get rid of the Stabilitrak message, but after that I was getting Service Brake System message. So after searching the Traverse forum and the Acadia forum, I noticed that if the brake fluid is low it can throw this message. So I checked and found the brake fluid was a bit low. So I filled it to the line and after that so far I have not noticed a Stabilitrak or Service Brake message. I drove it a total of maybe 250 miles so far without the messages popping up. Now it looks like I have a brake fluid leak (probably master cylinder). So I will keep an eye on the level and see how slowly the brake fluid is leaking. We had our first brake job last summer (150,000 miles) where they replaced the pads and rear rotors (not front as it did not seem to need it), but did not flush the brake fluid system. If the leak is slow, I will just keep an eye on it and just top it off until it gets worse.
Did you make sure you have all the appropriate fuses installed in the new one?

I replaced mine in my 2011 (non-V92 version to V92 version) with no issues.
We did verify that the fuses matched up as my Traverse does not have the towing.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
We did verify that the fuses matched up as my Traverse does not have the towing.
OK. NOW - make sure none of them have blown.

You might also want to verify that the fuse box has fully engaged the 2 connectors underneath it. There have been some reports of that issue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 72 Posts