Traverse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little surprised that the air conditioning doesn't feel cooler than it is considering it's a brand new vehicle. I had a 02 Montanna (until I picked up the Traverse last Friday) and a 02 VW Jetta but there air conditioning feels much cooler. Anyone have any similiar issues? Had to take it back this morning for an unrelated matter but I'm going to have the dealer check what temperature it's blowing out. Anyone know what that should be?

·
Registered
16 Posts
LTZ remote start gets the car cold. Then when I turn on with key in ignition, A/C stops for 2 secs then resumes Auto Temp. When the car is in sun the A/C cranks out the coldness with recirculate, but otherwise the car runs on pulling outside air (only 102F in Dallas). Other than that Works GREAT

·
Registered
185 Posts
I have never personally liked these temperature based climate control systems. Had the same in my older Bonnie and it always seemed touchy. With our Impala or Venture minivan, having the traditional blower system seemed to get me to my comfort temp much quicker and easier. I definitely am not yet quite comfortable getting the best A/C to the kids 2nd row and my occasional 3rd seating. The Venture minivan seemed to blow A/C overwhelmingly compared to this. But then, I have not really spent any time with it since my wife has it 5 days a week.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you have the climate control maybe try turning the temperature down?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Your car is brand new so your air conditioning should work properly. As you've said it is not, so the best thing to do is to return it to where you bought it. Ask them to check the air conditioning for any damages.

·
Registered
73 Posts
What are you selling that you have gone back to all the ancient ac posts on all the forums?

·
Registered
272 Posts
On mine when I run the rear AC the front doesn't feel as cold, but I have felt colder systems in the past.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have tri-zone automatic climate control in my Traverse. The number I set it to is semi-meaningless. There are hot days where I drive around for hours with it set on 66 and am comfortable. Other days when it's cooler outside (under 95 here in Texas us cool) and I set it on 74 and that feels good. I just use it as a reference and punch it up or down until it feels okay.

Khansen - Yeah, I also was wondering why someone would add a post out of the blue to a 7 month old topic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have dual air check and make sure your rear air is off or set to coldest setting my grandchildren where playing with mine and set to full heat did not know and drove 500 miles thinking my ac was not functioning properly . :thumb:

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Welcome to the new R134 coolant. Your 02's probably ran the old R12. Which works much better but is bad for the environment.

Plus remember you are trying to cool a large space with the Traverse and there are allot of windows so it's a chore for the system on very hot sunny days.

A

·
0 Posts
khansen30 said:
What are you selling that you have gone back to all the ancient ac posts on all the forums?
Here is some info from the link in the signature block so no one else needs to click through

Computer SEO offers a New SEO method of services and online marketing to improve your online ranking. As our expertise inline of SEO we develop a very unique method in search engine optimazation for faster ranking.

http://www.computerseo.com/

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I don't know exactly when R-12 went out, but my 1998 Grand AM had R134A. I remember my 1993 Cavalier was R-12. I'm trying to remember my dad's 1995 Ford Club Wagon, I think that was already 134A.

What is in the Traverse? I didn't think it was R134A anymore. Maybe it is, but I'm too comfy in my chair to go out and check.

·
Registered
312 Posts
The Montreal Protocol regulating ODSs (Ozone Depleting Substances) was signed in 1987 and went unto force in 1989. However, replacement of different substances was phased in. R-12 was replaced by R-134a at the OEM level in model years 1993 and 1994.

I didn't stay at Holiday Inn Express last night and I don't play a Union Carbide salesman on TV, but I have suppliedI parts wholesale to the mobile air conditioning industry, both OE and aftermarket, since 1981 so I experienced the change in refrigerants up close and personal, business-wise at least.

In the early 1990s when there was still a question about which refrigerant would be adopted (one company actually tried to market isobutane as an R-12 replacement while others came out with blends of R-22) we in the industry sat thru countless seminars that addressed, among other things, retrofitting R-12 systems to non-ODS refrigerant, and, in the process, we heard repeatedly that the day of having really good air conditioning in vehicles was likely over. Compared with those early dire predictions, 134a works pretty darn well.

If your A/C isn't cooling sufficiently, you're right to have it checked out at the dealer, but I wouldn't lay the blame on the refrigerant.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your air conditioning working?

I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse bought new and in 3 years I am now replacing my 3rd A/C compressor. The origional one died in 2012 it was replaced under warranty and now the with the first hot day of 2014 the compressor is no longer working. The dealer who replaced it says it's a $1020 job. Is anyone else experiencing A/C failure issues with their Traverse? If this is a recurring problem I may sell the car even though I do enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just try to set the air on recycling first. I suspect that unless you have the LTZ or a trim level in which you actually choose degrees electronically, you must choose the recycling function. Then, it does get really cold. Even recycling without AC at the coldest setting can be very cold sometimes, at least in the weather of my neck of the woods.

Pat

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
hazmat guy said:
I have a 2011 Chevy Traverse bought new and in 3 years I am now replacing my 3rd A/C compressor. The origional one died in 2012 it was replaced under warranty and now the with the first hot day of 2014 the compressor is no longer working. The dealer who replaced it says it's a $1020 job. Is anyone else experiencing A/C failure issues with their Traverse? If this is a recurring problem I may sell the car even though I do enjoy the ride.
This is certainly not something to expect from a fairly new vehicle. We're sorry to hear that you've experienced repeat issues with your A/C. If you'd like for us to reach out to your dealership to further discuss this matter and possible repair options for you, please private message us your full contact information, VIN, mileage and dealership name.

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts