Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are currently on a road trip through South Dakota. We are from Central Canada and it is very flat, so the hilly terrain here is unusual to us. Yesterday we went through Bear Country USA. It is a very slow, curvy, hilly tour. A few times we needed to stop while the bears etc. cross the road. On one occassion, instead of using the brake while stopped up hill, I put it in Low and used the transmission to hold the Traverse.(I looked and it was in 1st gear). It was for no longer than 10 seconds holding in 1st gear when all of a sudden it dropped to a lower gear, I think, and rolled backwards......scaring the crap out of me because everyone was lined up bumper to bumper. Can you not use the tranny to hold you while parked or waiting up hill?? Has anyone else had this happen??

A

·
0 Posts
It's not advisable to use the trans to hold your vehicle; the flywheel just isn't set up to handle that kind of load. If you were in L and 1st then you didn't drop a gear, I am guessing the trans just let go. My advice is to use the brake to hold the vehicle

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
The trans torque converter is NOT designed to hold a vehicle on a slope or hill as you may have experienced on other vehicles. The Traverse gives you the feel of driving a stick shift car when on an incline. You must use the brake to hold the vehicle from rolling.

If you were downshifting to 1st gear to slow down, and you actually saw the indicator say " 1 " ..... the trans, in fact, may have still been in 2nd, waiting for the proper speed to downshift back into 1st gear. It is designed in that manner, so you don't kill the tranny with an unsafe shift.

That may be the surge or jerk you felt .... the MPH speed got slow enough and then kicked the tranny into 1st ..... IF you manually had the trans indicator showing 1st gear.

Hope this makes some sense.

Bob

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Just leave it in drive and use the brake. I just came home from traveling through the mountains all around Tennessee and North Carolina and Kentucky. The Traverse ran great in drive and I was towing the camper to.

I ran it with the cruise control mostly to. I did have to get my foot on the gas from time to time for big hills as the cruise can't anticipate how big a hill is so I would build up more speed before I started up it.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
Just leave it in drive and use the brake. I just came home from traveling through the mountains all around Tennessee and North Carolina and Kentucky. The Traverse ran great in drive and I was towing the camper to.

I ran it with the cruise control mostly to. I did have to get my foot on the gas from time to time for big hills as the cruise can't anticipate how big a hill is so I would build up more speed before I started up it.
In my experience on our trip, the cruise did evaluate inclines and downshifted the transmiision to gain speed, if necessary.

I just hung on ....
Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
My cruise control, on any hill steeper than moderate, will allow the Traverse to lose 1 to 2 mph before it downshifts and then gains them back. I've taken to placing the selector in L and 6th, and downshifting to 5th on my own to maintain my preset speed, then flipping it right back to 6th, which the trans does after the climb.

A

·
0 Posts
odypilots said:
My cruise control, on any hill steeper than moderate, will allow the Traverse to lose 1 to 2 mph before it downshifts and then gains them back. I've taken to placing the selector in L and 6th, and downshifting to 5th on my own to maintain my preset speed, then flipping it right back to 6th, which the trans does after the climb.
I have noticed this as well with my 07 Acadia; good idea to drive in L and manually select the highest gear

·
Registered
324 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
I was towing the camper plus loaded down.
Yeah, that kind of transmission behavior when towing is to be expected.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is one of my few negatives of my Traverse. The transmission just seems un-civilized in many situations. GM fixed it a LOT last year with an update to the transmission programming code. But, I'd like to see more work put into the transmission coding.

I figure they were more concerned with MPG than on power/smooth/predicable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts