Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering purchasing a 2LT or LTZ Traverse and I'm wondering about the value of adding the Nav system. It would cost $2800 to $3000 to add (in Canada). I've never used a Nav system before and I don't really travel much that requires the need. I'm wondering if there are any other features it adds that makes the cost of adding the factory-installed Nav system worthwhile? I understand that the rear backup camera would be displayed on the Nav screen instead of the rear-view mirror but I'm uncertain of the other features.

To be honest, I'm having a hard time conceiving of purchasing the top-of-the-line LTZ without the Nav system (since every 'luxury' car seems to include them) but I'm not certain I'll get the value. Just wondering what others think as that might help me decide.

BTW - I am going to get the rear DVD system regardless of the Nav system. Does it make sense to get the Nav system if you are purchasing the rear DVD as well?

Thanks!

Bryan

·
Registered
56 Posts
Personally, I never saw the value of an expensive navigation system for any car.

My phone (Android) has turn-by-turn GPS on it, even before than my last several phones had verizon's navigation service available.

We travel quite a bit, and before my current phone, I'd just mapquest the directions, and if I got lost or there was a detour, I'd use the verizon navigation system that you could access for a couple of bucks for a 24 hour period.

With new phones, and the stand-alone GPS units for less than a hundred bucks, paying thousands for a nice looking built in nav system just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
51 Posts
rival22 said:
Personally, I never saw the value of an expensive navigation system for any car.

My phone (Android) has turn-by-turn GPS on it, even before than my last several phones had verizon's navigation service available.

We travel quite a bit, and before my current phone, I'd just mapquest the directions, and if I got lost or there was a detour, I'd use the verizon navigation system that you could access for a couple of bucks for a 24 hour period.

With new phones, and the stand-alone GPS units for less than a hundred bucks, paying thousands for a nice looking built in nav system just doesn't make sense to me.
Prior to buying my Traverse, this was exactly how I felt.

Now that I have it, I won't ever buy another vehicle without it.

The price is way too high right now, I think, but it will come down. So, if you don't get it this time, defintely put it high on your list for the next car when the prices are more reasonable.

The slick integration is really what does it for me. I've got a Sprint Evo 4G phone, so I always have GPS with me. It's never failed me yet. But, it might. Plus, integration with the sound system is great (for the most part). Especially if you get the XM Traffic package. You can be driving along listening to the radio and a traffic event notice will pop up and mute the radio. Even if you aren't currently using the GPS.

Yes, my phone will do this as well. But, when I'm driving around town in my usual hood, I don't turn on the GPS in either the phone or the car. So, the auto traffic event is nice.

Like the Remote Start and Bluetooth, it's a hard sell. But, once you have it and get used to it it's hard to go back. Think of your latest phone. 2 years ago I didn't need most of the features I now have. Now that they are there, even at a price, I wouldn't give them up.

·
Registered
860 Posts
You know, we love our navigation system. But I don't think it was worth $1900 especially since update discs are now $200 instead of complementary. :angryfire:

I suppose we might buy it again if the price were alot less. Otherwise, we'll buy a portable GPS or a phone with GPS next time.

·
Registered
551 Posts
It's a matter of opinion (obviously!) We have the Nav and love it. However, I could see not needing it as most phones have Nav, not to mention onstar turn by turn. We had it in our last car, when we bought the Traverse we had to have it in this car. I dont think you can go wrong either way.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I've never had Nav on any vehicle, and unless it is "included" in the next vehicles I buy, I won't go out of my way to purchase. For the money, I could buy a Garmin etc. for my Truck, Traverse, Boat, and still be over $1,000 ahead. My wife and I also have an Andriod phone with Nav, and we've never used them either. I wouldn't mind having a nice aftermarked Nav, one that shows water too, so I can use it on our boat, and those are about $400 now. Still way ahead.

That's my $0.02 Save the $$$ for beer and fun with Family & Friends. :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies. I'm undecided on this one but I think I might go for it just this once to try it out. If I find I don't use it or it doesn't provide any more utility than my iPhone then I'll chalk it up to experience and not purchase in the future - unless of course it is included.

Toddzilla67 said:
You know, we love our navigation system. But I don't think it was worth $1900 especially since update discs are now $200 instead of complementary. :angryfire:
I suppose we might buy it again if the price were alot less. Otherwise, we'll buy a portable GPS or a phone with GPS next time.
I specifically asked one of the dealers the question of updates and he mentioned that the update discs were free and mailed out periodically (i.e. every year/other year). Are they no longer free? That really sucks if so! When did this change? I might have to go back to the dealer and press him on this one.

·
Registered
860 Posts
From what I've been told, on January 1, 2010, navigation discs were no longer complementary--5 days after we bought our car...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
We are currently paying for the Onstar Turn by turn.
The missus- uses onstar to get directions to her work related clients.

she used to spend time online at home looking up addresse on mapquest. printing out etc. time consuming.
With Onstar she just calls the operator and gets the destination.
OR she emails me the addresses- and I look them up on mapquest- and send them to her car.
She leaves the office and walks to her car- the directions are ready for her.
Many times- clients cancel appointments- and shes given new appts-- and can then simply have onstar route her.

We pondered a portable Navigation unit-- but several things came up... she didnt want to sit there and punch in the info.
Also- sometimes she has to go to questionable parts of Los Angeles... and she doesnt want to be sitting in her car in park while she inputs data...
and also-- back to some seedy parts of the city--- she would have to disconnect- put away- reconnect etc a portable nav unit.
And sometimes appointments are are very close toghether-- and theres little time to reconnect/type in info etc...
so the Onstar turn by turn--- where she calls in- is great... as shes already driving while getting help from a live person...who then sends the info to the car.

So far its been worth it for us.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
rbarrios - Is this all integrated with the navigation system? So you call OnStar to tell them where you want to go and then they upload it to your vehicle's nav system which then guides you using turn-by-turn voice navigation? Does the Onstar turn-by-turn still work without the navigation system?

·
Registered
551 Posts
icehawk21 said:
Does the Onstar turn-by-turn still work without the navigation system?
YES. You do not have to have a nav to use this feature. Just push your blue button and tell them where you want to go. Of course you have to pay for this service.

·
Registered
186 Posts
OK, well, i was giving rbarrios the chance to answer, but i guess i'll put my 2 cents in - X2..YES..It will still work with no nav...the instructions are spoken out in a computerized voice through the stereo system (cutting out the music whenever a turn is upcoming), and the directions are also displayed on the radio screen. Not especially graphic, but still pretty cool for not having a $3,000 nav system.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
yes like was said...
press the button- and you talk to a person. they try to locate the address you give them. then they upload the directions to your car.
in a few moments- youre getting audible directions over the car speakers- and if you have the regular radio- it will display small arrows in the radio screen. it will also display distance to the next turn or maneuver.

Turn by turn is also available on the cars with the radio Navigation units- it will display the info on the big screen.

With Turn by turn- you use your account # and zip on mapquest (and the other map web site)... look up where you want to go- and send it to your car. (up to 5 locations).

for 2011- Onstar includes the stolen recovery-- where the car is tracked by Onstar- and when Police see the car- they tell Onstar to disable the car- they send signal and the vehicle begins to slow down- since the drive loses all input to the gas pedal etc. (I think engine runs) but wont accelerate.

Also, you can call onstar- and have them honk your horn if you cant locate the car in a big lot. Or have them remotely open your car door if youve locked your keys... though some of these features I think you can do with your new smartphones....
there are fees for onstar... (but you also get accident notification- theyll call you if your airbags go off..)...

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
well they will call you to see if youre OK and if you need medical assistance- and if so they send help to your location...
- if system detects airbags have deployed- or quick acceleration/deceleration...

theres a video of a heavily modified 700HP Caddy CTS-V- supercharged or something at a dragstrip.
the car does a run down the strip--- and a few moments later-- Onstar calls the vehicle to check on the driver..
appears the accelerometers picked up this launch where the car pulls .99 G's-- and well onstar called.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys,

If anyone is interested I have a OEM nav system made by Delphi.

I bought it early last year on eBay when I got my 2010 GMC Acadia. When I installed it I found that it lit up Chevy amber instead of GMC red. When I called up the parts guy to exchange it he told me that they didn't have any GMC units and that it must have been mislabeled on eBay. He was going to refund me my money but at the time I couldn't find any Acadia nav units for sale so I kept it. 3 months later I was able to purchase the GMC unit and switched them out.

All i'm looking to get is what I paid for it $549. I'll provide the shipping for free since that's what I was offered.

I had it posted on eBay about 5 months ago but was getting real low ball offers for it so i decided to hold on to it for a little while longer.

Again this is a OEM part made by Delphi not a cheap Chinese knockoff. I'll post pictures later on today when i get home.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing lately as I look for my new Traverse. Is the GPS really worth it. I have a Droid and a Garmin, both of which will work well enough. I just thought there will be some other functionality that the unit will offer. I went to the dealer today, and we left the the GPS off as we searched for vehicles. We are getting the DVD in the back, but they didn't have any with just DVD so we are going to get the dealer installed option with the dual headrest DVD Players. They are a little more, so if I were to get the overhead unit with GPS it would only be an additional $1,300. Just not sure if it is worth it. I am a gadget guy, so I'm thinking just the coolness of it is great. I just need to justify it someway, or learn to live without it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts