Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to upgrade to the new Chevrolet infotainment 3? I have a 2019 Redline.

I am actually really upset about not having it! So many cool things on the new infotainment.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Is it possible to upgrade to the new Chevrolet infotainment 3? I have a 2019 Redline.

I am actually really upset about not having it! So many cool things on the new infotainment.

I don't see what is so new about it have it on my '19 Silverado and differences are minor, none functional;, compared with the 8" system on my '18 Premier Redline. Differences include HD FM, HD camera, HD screen and reverse camera can be activated in Drive at any speed like the Traverse' electronic rearview mirror, for 10 seconds......if FM reception is already good it is a waste of time unless you also replace the SD camera in the hatch. If possible would also require dealer reprogramming for the latter function.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The infotainment NAV is different for sure.
The XM Radio art is an addition.
The drivers DIC, has changed (You can now see range on the main display, no need to change)
The HD camera is awesome.

There must be a way to update to infotainment 3, to at least get functionality out of the OS.

Attachments

·
Registered
254 Posts
The drivers DIC, has changed (You can now see range on the main display, no need to change)

There must be a way to update to infotainment 3, to at least get functionality out of the OS.
What vehicle interior and infotainment is pictured on your Post?

Is this from a 2019 Traverse? or from another model of vehicle?

·
Registered
254 Posts

Page 162 of the owner's manual says something about updating the infotainment software. See attached picture.

On your infotainment settings section it's under "Vehicle Personalization"

on page 179 it explains how to do it. (See attached)

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Page 162 of the owner's manual says something about updating the infotainment software. See attached picture.

On your infotainment settings section it's under "Vehicle Personalization"

on page 179 it explains how to do it. (See attached)
I am going to try this!

·
Registered
254 Posts
I just tried about 30 minutes ago, but it said that I had the latest software.

Oh well....

·
Registered
119 Posts
First, you have to figure out if it is the HU software/firmware that is limiting the rear camera resolution to low quality or the camera itself.

You can't assume that if you upgrade the HU to the latest in the 20MY, it is going to give you the same HD resolution rearview camera as on the 20MY Traverse. It could be that the rearview camera was upgraded as well to HD, either sensor or otherwise.

The rearview mirror camera is a separate HD, wide angle camera. The rearview backup camera is a separate camera but no full details or specs on it were really ever given by Chevy.

I also see in your screenshot that there are also several more camera views and options that you can choose from now. There might be additional cameras installed as well for those.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
First, you have to figure out if it is the HU software/firmware that is limiting the rear camera resolution to low quality or the camera itself.

You can't assume that if you upgrade the HU to the latest in the 20MY, it is going to give you the same HD resolution rearview camera as on the 20MY Traverse. It could be that the rearview camera was upgraded as well to HD, either sensor or otherwise.

The rearview mirror camera is a separate HD, wide angle camera. The rearview backup camera is a separate camera but no full details or specs on it were really ever given by Chevy.

I also see in your screenshot that there are also several more camera views and options that you can choose from now. There might be additional cameras installed as well for those.
Agreed on the hardware side. I was more focused around the OS. **** you chevy!

·
Registered
254 Posts
Agreed on the hardware side. I was more focused around the OS.
If the Cameras were replaced with newer HD cameras, the OS will have the specific software drivers for those new HD cameras. Assuming that you somehow managed to install the new 2020 OS on your 2019 Traverse with the old cameras, your cameras would no longer work because the drivers in the OS is incompatible with our old cameras.

Same, same for home computers; change hardware=change drivers

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the Cameras were replaced with newer HD cameras, the OS will have the specific software drivers for those new HD cameras. Assuming that you somehow managed to install the new 2020 OS on your 2019 Traverse with the old cameras, your cameras would no longer work because the drivers in the OS is incompatible with our old cameras.

Same, same for home computers; change hardware=change drivers
The hardware is the same minus the camera's, you are correct.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Looks like the screenshots from the Infotainment 3 system in my '19 Silverado. The radio head is different because it also contains the hardware for FM HD reception which cannot be added by software upgrade alone. And rear HD camera (single camera, not dual as in the Traverse's with top view capability) is definitely different because it can change views from standard rearview to top down fisheye over the hitchball.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very interested in this thread.
I have a 19 Traverse LT with the infotainment system. My husband's cargo van is currently in repair, he's using my Traverse with receiver hitch, so I have a brand new Blazer as a loaner. It has the new version of infotainment.

I like the looks of the new display, cleaner, crisper, more 'grown up'. The older version is almost cartoony.

The hd camera is very nice, but I could live with my cameras if I can have that sleeker display for the rest of the controls. I'll try to post comparison photos later.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Being a tech guy, I initially wanted a 2020 for the newer infotainment and HD cameras, but I couldn't justify passing on the savings on the 2019s. Disappointed in Chevy that they put the newer one in other 2019 models but not the Traverse. Would be great if it was possible to upgrade the OS at least on the HU.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Being a tech guy, I initially wanted a 2020 for the newer infotainment and HD cameras, but I couldn't justify passing on the savings on the 2019s. Disappointed in Chevy that they put the newer one in other 2019 models but not the Traverse. Would be great if it was possible to upgrade the OS at least on the HU.

New system has a minor bug they are still trying to fix.........message "Climate Off" instead of a graphic display of controls comes on screen although all HVAC controls remain operative.

The system Infotainment 3 in my '19 Silverado appears to be upgradable without need for separate HMI or Nav modules. Just found out there is a Nav upgrade for those lacking on the non-Nav IOS units that can be software upgraded to IOT units with additional speed limit and traffic condition functions by simply inserting a Nav map SD card into the new SD card readers in all vehicles with IOS/IOT units giving the dealers and easy way to convert existing stock lacking Nav units. Pricy at around $500 installed, but that is what the factory Nav would cost which was formerly only available on the top line units.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Local dealer is advertising a 2019 clearance model, and the interior pic shows the new system display. Unless they mixed up their pics. Gonna drop by to confirm. Would really like to upgrade, as the Infotainment3 looks a lot nicer.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
New system has a minor bug they are still trying to fix.........message "Climate Off" instead of a graphic display of controls comes on screen although all HVAC controls remain operative.

The system Infotainment 3 in my '19 Silverado appears to be upgradable without need for separate HMI or Nav modules. Just found out there is a Nav upgrade for those lacking on the non-Nav IOS units that can be software upgraded to IOT units with additional speed limit and traffic condition functions by simply inserting a Nav map SD card into the new SD card readers in all vehicles with IOS/IOT units giving the dealers and easy way to convert existing stock lacking Nav units. Pricy at around $500 installed, but that is what the factory Nav would cost which was formerly only available on the top line units.

Update: Installed the Nav which is a single SD card placed in a slot in the console and over-the-Internet software provided by Chevy according to VIN. Crazy....it went from a 8.03 build before the Nav to a much older version 5.09 after the update. No more prior "Climate Off" bug and now the SAME HD camera on the rear can now with a combo of the shift gear, and double press of the line grid touch button provides a downward fisheye look down at the hitch which wasn't previously present. And when trying to update it says the older version is the latest update....everything now works just fine so I turned off the auto update capability.....evidently when it comes to software a later version may not always be better.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts