Traverse Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

· Registered
13 Posts
No I did not. But I was more than 20,000 miles past the expected life of the OE. And I was getting ready for a long trip in the Traverse. So I blinked and replaced it, LOL.

Other than the timing chain and routine maintenance, the only Traverse repair items were a new alternator, new shocks and struts, 2 batteries, new a/c compressor. Also had a/c system freon leak. Had a deer hit me with minor body damage. That's right, he hit me --- I didn't hit him.

I also have endured the stabiltrak problem that seems common in 2009-2010-2011-2012 Traverses. They finally fixed it for the next generation but too late for me. But I have learned to minimize it so it is not too bad.

I have noticed that your have Trailblazers and seem OK with them, but I gotta tell you, my previous vehicle was a 2002 Trail. It was very frustrating...constant mechanical problems. I pushed it up to just under 200,000 but I was literally carrying it across the finish line. However, it was first generation and I have heard they got better later. So I thought long and hard about getting the Traverse after the Trail experience. But I have been super pleased. I love that Traverse. It is almost like a brother to me, refuses to quit!

· Registered
13 Posts
How is your transmission holding up? Have you swapped it?
No --- the transmission has had zero problems. I have had the tranny fluid flushed and replaced 3 times. The first flush, I felt like the old fluid was a little thick, but the last two flushes it was perfect. In fact, at the last flush the shop said I'm wasting my money --- it did not need a flush yet. Better safe than sorry. With the exception of what I listed on my response to rbarrios, everything is still original. I have been fully expecting to have to replace the cat converter due to time and mileage, but so far no issues with it.

Here is an interesting little episode: I do a lot of the minor stuff myself. Well, I broke my wrist and the next week a headlight went out. So I went to the dealership and asked the service writer if they had someone available who could quickly reach up there and swap the headlight bulb for me. To my surprise, he said it was about a $200 job and I would have to make an appointment.

I was stunned. I can change a headlight bulb in my Traverse in about 5 or 10 minutes by reaching up thru the wheel well. So the service guy says, yeah, I know it can be done like that, but we have to go by the book and take the fender off to replace the headlight bulb. When he said that I couldn't help myself...I started laughing and could not stop.

I went home and showed my son how to do it and it took him a little longer than me --- all of 15 minutes. So that is a good example of why you should never just accept that the dealership service dept knows what that are doing. In this case, they did not! I wonder how many innocent little old ladies and busy mothers they have ripped off for headlight replacement.

· Registered
13 Posts
Where is the ''my next will be a Toyota'' person ???
There was a time when Toyota (and other foreign brands) were more reliable and could get higher mileage than American cars. That is no longer true. Ford and Chevy, in particular, are much better in quality than they were "back then." (I don;t know about Chrysler products and I have heard some horror stories about them.)

So as good as Toyota and some other foreign brands are, I believe that certain American brands and models are now just as good!!! Mercedes is a great car, but your total service and maintenance cost over the car's lifetime is going to be many times higher than a Ford or Chevy.

· Registered
4,240 Posts
Dealerships use the GM shop manual method to charge you. This method involves removing the front fascia. So they charge you for a couple hours of labor, but I'm sure the tech actually does it just like you did.

· Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ford and Chevy, in particular, are much better in quality than they were "back then."
GM I can agree with. But I've seen so much goofy stuff on Fords. They are cramped inside too. IMHO GM golden era was c. 2000. Drivetrains from then are legendary. Considering that both gens of Traverse seem to have trans problems I'm not convinced they are at Toyota quality.

Obviously buying an American car is much lower cost and higher reliability than Range Rover, VW, Jaguar, etc. Not like you are throwing money down the toilet by any means. But I don't think they are the best out there. And if any American makes are up there it's probably GM. Anything in the Stellantis umbrella for the past few years has been garbage, possibly with the exception of the pickups and muscle cars.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts