Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2010 with 174k miles. No timing service needed yet but I'm wondering if it even makes sense to do. Over the past 40k miles it seems like the PS and transmission have slowly gotten worse, so I'm not super confident in long term reliability of other expensive things.

Does it make that much sense to spend like 3 grand on keeping the engine going then? Structurally the car is in good shape, just the drivetrain wearing out.

Personal experiences on doing the timing chain on a 200k mile car? How long did the transmission and other things seem to last?

· Super Moderator
1,385 Posts
All depends on the quality of maintenance from brand new and moving forward. Just one of the unknowns buying used higher mileage vehicles vs getting a low mileage or new vehicle.
Out west there is no rust, just interiors fall apart from the sun, so drivetrains get repaired. That's why you see 25 yr old stuff still on the road with replaced engines and transmissions.
Body rust is the big killer so it's not worth spending money on something dissolving. It's a tough call, one does what they can afford when you need wheels to get around.
Personally, if in doubt, bail out while it's running and worth something.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All depends on the quality of maintenance from brand new and moving forward.
So we owned it from new, so I know the service was basically good throughout its life and we haven't really had major problems anywhere. And it was in MO/TX for most of its life so it only has surface rust in the undercarriage.

I'm mostly concerned with how much of a money pit these become. If it would cost 15 grand to drive it another 100k (major engine and trans service, PS, suspension bushings, etc.) I might was well just buy a new car that gets better fuel economy in the first place lol.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Most of the vehicle is 13-14 years old and has almost 200k miles traveled on it. Personally, I'm at 140k with my '14 and I've already decided if I start seeing indications of issues I'm going to move it along. My wife's Pilot I would likely repair and keep it going. But we are talking about a vehicle with some relatively common and pricey repair areas (Traverse) vs. a vehicle that is known to have very few expensive problems if VCM is disabled (Pilot, and it has been since 30k miles).

Reactions: ipb

· Registered
12,208 Posts
Hit 190,000 yesterday on my 2010.
60 mile roundtrip got me 27 mpg.
But that trip was to dealer.
Ordered a 2023 since one with my desired options was not found.
But yeah, no desire to fumble with potential big issues. Its been a great vehicle.

· Registered
4,256 Posts
Another data point:

Kelly Blue Book says a 2010 LTZ with 174K on it in Good condition is worth about $1,440 - $3,213 trade-in. Private party runs $3,101 - $6,229.

An LS is worth $861 - $1,948 trade, $2,577 - $5,058 private. An LT would be in between.

So another way to look at it is: If you've got $3k for new timing chains, but trade it in for, say $2k or so, now you've got $5k towards something newer.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Hit 190,000 yesterday on my 2010.
60 mile roundtrip got me 27 mpg.
But that trip was to dealer.
Ordered a 2023 since one with my desired options was not found.
But yeah, no desire to fumble with potential big issues. Its been a great vehicle.
I thought for sure you'd be the one to take a Traverse to 500,000 miles!

Still keeping the Trailblazer?

· Registered
12,208 Posts
I used to do 25,000 miles a year.
That changed.
Yes keeping trailblazer. Its easier to work on that platform if ever needed.
At 5 yrs, my trailblazer hit 150,000 roughly.
Took way longer than 5 yrs to hit 150k in traverse.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
And when one big thing breaks it seems like they all do.
But we are talking about a vehicle with some relatively common and pricey repair areas (Traverse
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking.

At this point I would just drive it. Do normal maintenance and let the expensive stuff go.
That's more or less what I'm doing right now. It won't be worth less as a trade in with the check engine light on I don't think, because trade in quotes are only about $1,300 right now.

Most of the vehicle is 13-14 years old and has almost 200k miles traveled on it.
Good way to think of it I suppose. The best maintenance schedule will only delay/retard normal wear and tear that will eventually lead to big costs. And at this age/mileage, a lot of rubber components are pretty much worn out in addition to the drivetrain.

So another way to look at it is: If you've got $3k for new timing chains, but trade it in for, say $2k or so, now you've got $5k towards something newer.
That's the math I'm doing now. Question is, how new? I don't like driving very much so I would probably put on about 600 mi/month. Under 1000/month on a new car means it's depreciating faster from age than mileage, which is less than ideal, so I might buy a recent used car. Either that or an old Prius or Buick sedan. Both are pretty cheap, reliable, and easy to work on.

Slightly related, I saw a 2011 Traverse with 183,000 miles listed for $5,995 at a Buy Here Pay Here place today. Amazing 😂😂

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Yeah that's kinda what I was thinking.

That's more or less what I'm doing right now. It won't be worth less as a trade in with the check engine light on I don't think, because trade in quotes are only about $1,300 right now.

Good way to think of it I suppose. The best maintenance schedule will only delay/retard normal wear and tear that will eventually lead to big costs. And at this age/mileage, a lot of rubber components are pretty much worn out in addition to the drivetrain.

That's the math I'm doing now. Question is, how new? I don't like driving very much so I would probably put on about 600 mi/month. Under 1000/month on a new car means it's depreciating faster from age than mileage, which is less than ideal, so I might buy a recent used car. Either that or an old Prius or Buick sedan. Both are pretty cheap, reliable, and easy to work on.

Slightly related, I saw a 2011 Traverse with 183,000 miles listed for $5,995 at a Buy Here Pay Here place today. Amazing 😂😂
Sounds like you are going sedan if you get another vehicle... I'm partial to Hondas and really like the Accord from '13-'17. The 4 cylinder gets great mileage and is a treat to drive, I'd look for a manual Sport model but that's just me.

I used to do 25,000 miles a year.
That changed.
Yes keeping trailblazer. Its easier to work on that platform if ever needed.
At 5 yrs, my trailblazer hit 150,000 roughly.
Took way longer than 5 yrs to hit 150k in traverse.
Look, if I had a Trailblazer or a Traverse the decision would be easy as well. Real frame, less electronics, fantastic engine options even if the interior is closer to the awful late 90s GM than the one in my '14 Traverse that is quite good. Always liked them... and the Envoy... and the Bravada... and the 9-7X... and the Buick version which name escapes me... even more the quirky Envoy with the Avalanche-ish mid gate and weird roof and all.

But mostly, the Trailblazer SS (which just looks phenomenal as well, perfect stance and bodywork tweaks) and the 9-7X Aero were the best looking of the bunch.

· Registered
12,208 Posts
Buick Rainier I believe it was called
Kid across the street has one of those Envoys with the retractable top.
The top failed in semi open position and rear glass also down.

· Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So what I'm wondering is whether to get another Traverse. The alternative would probably be a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Main question for me is how well I fit in it. I'm 6'8" and usually don't fit well in Toyotas. I'll have to see.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
Buick Rainier I believe it was called
Kid across the street has one of those Envoys with the retractable top.
The top failed in semi open position and rear glass also down.
You are correct.

Didn't say it was reliable, but it was interesting.

· Registered
1,296 Posts
So what I'm wondering is whether to get another Traverse. The alternative would probably be a Toyota Highlander Hybrid.

Main question for me is how well I fit in it. I'm 6'8" and usually don't fit well in Toyotas. I'll have to see.
IMO those are not competitive vehicles. The Highlander is more akin to a Sorrento or CX-9 in size, narrower and quite a bit shorter.

Doesn't mean the seats won't be good for you, just considerations like 3rd row space and cargo capacity are not really comparable between a Highlander and Traverse.

Brand new Pilot just came out, Pathfinder was new a year or so ago, refreshed Telluride and Palisade, new Grand Cherokee L. Lots of interesting choices in the three row crossover class.

I'm 6'3" but I have a massive ribcage and shoulders (and being obese doesn't help either) so it is very hard to find comfortable seats for me as well. Good luck.

· Registered
59 Posts
Sounds like you are going sedan if you get another vehicle... I'm partial to Hondas and really like the Accord from '13-'17. The 4 cylinder gets great mileage and is a treat to drive, I'd look for a manual Sport model but that's just me.

Look, if I had a Trailblazer or a Traverse the decision would be easy as well. Real frame, less electronics, fantastic engine options even if the interior is closer to the awful late 90s GM than the one in my '14 Traverse that is quite good. Always liked them... and the Envoy... and the Bravada... and the 9-7X... and the Buick version which name escapes me... even more the quirky Envoy with the Avalanche-ish mid gate and weird roof and all.

But mostly, the Trailblazer SS (which just looks phenomenal as well, perfect stance and bodywork tweaks) and the 9-7X Aero were the best looking of the bunch.
Don't forget the Isuzu Ascender.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2010 with 174k miles. No timing service needed yet but I'm wondering if it even makes sense to do. Over the past 40k miles it seems like the PS and transmission have slowly gotten worse, so I'm not super confident in long term reliability of other expensive things.

Does it make that much sense to spend like 3 grand on keeping the engine going then? Structurally the car is in good shape, just the drivetrain wearing out.

Personal experiences on doing the timing chain on a 200k mile car? How long did the transmission and other things seem to last?
My 2011 Traverse is now at 410,000. I did the timing belt at 201,122. It all depends on what shape your Traverse is in. With the hefty price of new cars or late model cars, I have come out ahead (so far!) keeping mine running. I am aiming for 500,000. Mine has been taken care of like a baby --- never missed any oil changes or scheduled maint. It does burn some oil but that is to be expected. Has been burning oil for at least the last 150,000 miles. Not too bad, about 1.5 quarts per month, and I drive it about 2300 or 2400 miles per month. In terms of quality, this is the best car I have ever had for low repair cost and long life. I will definitely get another if it ever dies. If you decide to hold off on the timing belt, be sure to keep the oil full. The GM timing belts for Traverse in the age range of your's and mine needs to be bathed in oil constantly. Good luck!

· Registered
13 Posts
My 2011 Traverse is now at 410,000. I did the timing belt at 201,122. It all depends on what shape your Traverse is in. With the hefty price of new cars or late model cars, I have come out ahead (so far!) keeping mine running. I am aiming for 500,000. Mine has been taken care of like a baby --- never missed any oil changes or scheduled maint. It does burn some oil but that is to be expected. Has been burning oil for at least the last 150,000 miles. Not too bad, about 1.5 quarts per month, and I drive it about 2300 or 2400 miles per month. In terms of quality, this is the best car I have ever had for low repair cost and long life. I will definitely get another if it ever dies. If you decide to hold off on the timing belt, be sure to keep the oil full. The GM timing belts for Traverse in the age range of your's and mine needs to be bathed in oil constantly. Good luck!
Car Vehicle Speedometer Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

1 - 20 of 34 Posts