Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've attempted to read and research the connection for an Ipod inside the Traverse but gotta admit its all a bit confusing.

My wife has a 2009 Traverse 1LT with base radio and NO nav. She also has an Ipod Shuffle that she would like to use in the car for long road trips. Seems there are a ton of options but I can't seem to get good reviews on their features and why people choose one over the other.

I'm looking for something basic, I *think* . I see the Aux port on the front of the radio, isn't there just a simple cord that can plug between that and the Ipod? Would that then allow the Ipod music to play through the radio(important) and also utilize the steering wheel controls(less important). I think I read that this method produces terrible sound quality, anyone care to validate or squash that?

We don't need bluetooth capability, don't need it to read the titles on the radio display(although a benefit if it does), and don't need to keep it hardwired into the car.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Using a basic audio connector, either from GM (your dealer) or from Radio Shack, Walmart, etc., will work. But, you will not have player control over the device. Only volume control from the radio.

If you want full control over the device, and your radio has XM ability, you can purchase an iPod connection device to be installed by your dealership. You're looking at a few hundred dollars for this option though. It's called the "Personal Audio Link" or PAL. There are some very good discussions and pictures on this device in other Lambda based forums. Here's a long one: http://www.enclaveforum.net/index.php?topic=3992.0

·
Registered
6 Posts
Imgntht,

I connect via the front aux port - just as you are talking about. Although not an Ipod, the connection to the aux port is the same regardless of whatever Mp3 player you have. Run over to RadioShack and they will hook you up. Like Narg said, you only control the volume - For best sound, just make sure the volume on your Mp3 is turned all the way up, then you control the main volume from the vehicle. This is the least costly and basic method for connecting your Mp3 player.

Good luck.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks I found a retractable aux cord on Ebay for $3.60 so I am going to try that. I read in one of the other Lambda forums something about using an amp inline with the Aux cord to stop the need to raise the volume to max on both the MP3 player and the in-car radio. This seemed to provide better osund quality, how do you rate your sound quality without the amp usage?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have 4 different MP3 players. An iPod, a Zune, A Sansa and an old Rio. The first two have volume issues. Not surprising, as I read a recent article where the guy took both apart and found they both have the same exact hardware inside. The Sansa and Rio don't have any problems at all by themselves and sound great. I have an amp, but haven't tried it. Mostly because amps tend to reduce sound quality and add hissing. I have a very sensitive ear, so I'm a bit over-sensitive to sound quality in some cases.

I still wish GM would have just put a simple USB plug in the center console like many other makers do. The sound transfer would have been 100% digital, and I could have used an inexpensive Flash Disk for this purpose rather than an expensive MP3 player. I lost one MP3 player a while back due to heat inside the vehicle during the summer months. :(

·
Registered
161 Posts
Hmm, Narg, you're suggesting only a USB port? I understand your reasoning on just plugging in a flash drive full of music, but seeing how most people have iPods or MP3 devices with playlists already set up the way they like 'em, it seems like you'd be hampering the largest amount of current users who want to just plug and play.

Or, am I missing something and you can play an iPod, Sansa or Zune through the car system via a usb port, too?

·
Registered
70 Posts
DuayneD,

With the USB you can use any player or USB device that holds music and just plug it in and it should play. I have a sony xplod system in my honda and I can plug my Ipod or my son sansa mp3 player and they play and charge just fine with no issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks, Guapo:

It does make sense, now that I think about it. When I plug my iPod into my desktop PC, it not only is charging, but also sending information to the iTunes software about my playlists, so of course it could use that usb cable for playing songs in the car hookup as well.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I've seen some systems that allow any media type from any USB based storage system (mp3 player, flash disk, hard drive, wireless network adapter, etc etc...) Most modern cars with these, including the few GM that do and now most Fords, can handle just about anything. But with more advanced systems, you can even view movies on the rear display (for the kids) and play music (for the adults) at the same time from a single USB device. In the whole format of the hardware for this idea, anything is possible.

·
Registered
5 Posts
A USB port would've been a great feature, to charge the device & audio passthru. If the stereo could interface with the actual device and show song/artist/playlist/etc data on the screen and use the stereo to control the device, THAT would make for a great dealer installable option.

I was really hoping that the bluetooth feature on our car would also allow a bluetooth enabled cellphone/iPod to play MP3's through the stereo as well. One of the up & coming features of the new iPhone/iPod Touch and the new 3.0 OS is "stereo" bluetooth.

Now THAT would be a great feature!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Dan any idea if this would void any warranties on the car? I'd like to add one of those to mine if not. I saw something called a "lockpick" that looks pretty cool too. It lets you program the navigation and enter a destination while driving, view a DVD in front screen and also see through the rear camera while driving which sounds kind of interesting. Safe, lol no, but nice to have.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ipod Shuffle and 2015 Traverse

For 6 months, I used an iPod Shuffle plugged into the USB to listen to podcasts while I commuted. Recently, it stopped working. Nothing touched the Apple cable or shuffle. The Shuffle and cable work fine when using my PC. To test the USB port in the Traverse, I plugged my iPhone 6 (with an iPhone 6 cable) into the port and the car played music off my phone. I replaced the Shuffle cable in the Traverse with a new (tested), and made sure the Shuffle was up to date with iTunes. The problem remains. The vehicle will not recognize my Shuffle any longer.

Summary: No problem with the vehicle's USB port, no problem with any Apple cables, no problem with the Shuffle. Must be Traverse software.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts