Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the original edge iphone (will get the new one this summer when it comes out)

I have the traverse as a company car, and they graciously included 3 years of onstar. It's awesome so far.

However, I have trouble with the bluetooth phone connection.

I can easily pair the phone to the car, and I can save contacts on the car directory, I can make calls, receive calls etc.

I made 2 phone calls seamlessly. Then when I tried to make a 3rd, suddenly, as soon as the call was dialed, it would kick the car out of "bluetooth" mode on the dashboard, and kick me back onto the radio. HOWEVER, my iphone continues dialing and will connect to the caller, at which point they can not hear me, and I can not hear them, (unless if i take it off "general motors" on the iphone and switch it to "iphone" or "speaker"

I dialed the chevy help that onstar connected me too and they can't explain it...

Does anyone have experience with the iPhone on the traverse, and experienced these issues??? The same thing happens when someone calls me....I get the call through the speakers, caller ID comes up on my dash...the moment I accept the call, it kicks me back to the radio instead of the conversation, but the iPhone stays connected for some reason without being able to communicate.

This is extremely frustrating! I was looking forward to never having to worry about cops with this hands free system but right now it's useless. If you have any tips, they would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's a very interesting issue to hear about. I'm using a 3G iphone and have had no issues whatsoever. However, I do remember with my gen 1 iPhone I did have some issues with BMW that were similar.

The 1st gen has a fairly weak bluetooth antenna that was addressed with the new 3g's. I used to get disconnected or static with my 1st gen and my iPhone had to be fairly close to the main radio of the car. If my phone was holstered in my hip pocket it would have issues such as static, disconnecting, dropping from bluetooth to main phone. To put it in perspective, many people were just having trouble just getting their bluetooth earpieces connected, so the distance is definitely an issue.

There was also an issue, of an outdated bluetooth stack on the iPhone - i.e. software instructions that told the car/phone how to talk to each other. I have not tried an older gen1 iphone with the new system updates (since the 3g came out), so I can't comment if this issue was addressed.

Somethings I would try:
1 - Make sure your phone has the latest system updates through iTunes... it might update that bluetooth stack I mentioned.
2 - Uninstall your iPhone from the bluetooth system and reset it back up.
3 - Keep the phone fairly close to the radio and minimize the obstructions between it.

Nothing here will really take much time / effort, so I'd give them a quick shot to see if it helps out. Otherwise see if you can find someone with a 3g iPhone and test it out on your system. If theirs isn't working either, then you know there is a hardware issue on the car. If the 3g iPhone works, then you know it's your 1st gen iPhone. Again, my 3g iPhone works perfectly on my system, so I can vouch for that.

Good luck and I hope something here helps you!
- Ferne

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just read something about the firmware....anything from 2.1 amd before people have had similar issues. I was able to find this on apple discussions.

Since 2.2, supposedly this problem has been fixed. I am in the process of backing up photos from my iphone so that I can update the firmware on it (got a new computer so I will lose if I update)

Ferne, is your iphone using firmware version 2.2? If so, that will make me feel much better and probably means it is just a firmware issue.

And the "distance to the radio" is not the issue. It worked seamlessly the first few times. It still works now, it just kicks me to the radio for some reason. It's not a matter of "signal strength", just the system not knowing what it's supposed to do.

I hope it's just the firmware...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yes my phone has the 2.2 update. It's promising hearing that your still on 2.1... perhaps the upgrade will remedy the situation for you. I would still unsync your phone from the Traverse and resync after the 2.2 upgrade. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
weird..I have not been able to update the firmware yet. But when I stepped back into the traverse, I put on the phone for the **** of it. I was able to make an outgoing via the iphone but able to use the car to speak and listen.

then I did a voice dial through the steering wheel and that worked as well! Inexplicable......now it seems to work consistently....

I'll still update the firmware when i get a chance. I just wish I understood the rhyme and reason..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Nice... I'm glad it's working for you. I use the heck out of my bluetooth setup, so I can appreciate your frustration when it's not doing what it's supposed to do. I still think the 2.2 is a worth update to do. Some nice changes, better battery life (so they say) and stronger signal are some other benefits you'll see.

Cheers and again grats on getting it to work.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I couldn't figure out how to get the bluetooth to work with my cell and the car. I called GM and a gal walked me through sitting in the car. So if anyone out there that can't get GM 1 866 790 5700

·
Registered
417 Posts
Just a note from a long time computer support guy... (me)

Bluetooth is a mixed blessing. As a standard, it's had a lot of ups and downs, and far too many companies do not follow the standard very well. Though the latest Bluetooth standard is being followed much more closely, so the newer the phone the less likely you'll have troubles. But no guarantees...

I had similar issues on my last cell phone contract update. I got a new Samsung phone, and my Trav's bluetooth hated it. It would work after pairing, but fail every other time after than. Fortuantely I had a 30 day return ability on that phone. I now have an HTC smart phone, and it works 100% with my Trav's bluetooth.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts