Traverse Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

Registered
I finally figured out my issue. As stated I had already replaced battery and alternator. But continued to have the same issues. My brother-in-law, took the 3rd alternator off, (still had warranty) and replaced it with another one. I had already tried a non-delco, a Delco, and one directly from the manufacturer. But anyways after replacing with another alternator, I've been driving my Traverse with zero problems. Battery voltage staying b/t 12v-15v. So apparently I was buying **** alternators this entire time. And to think all the parts I replaced while trying to figure this problem out馃檮
So does yours bounce between 12 and 15 mine usually stays around 15 but every now and then will just randomly drop to 12 sometimes goes months sometimes days. Ive noticed i can shut the car off and restart it and it goes back to around 15. Also seems to do it more on colder days

Registered
I'm not surprised. I recently went on a bout with Delco alternators for my pickup, and had like 3 in a row that were bad out of the box. On the upside, I can change out the alternator in that truck in 30 seconds flat now lol

Registered
So does yours bounce between 12 and 15 mine usually stays around 15 but every now and then will just randomly drop to 12 sometimes goes months sometimes days. Ive noticed i can shut the car off and restart it and it goes back to around 15. Also seems to do it more on colder days [/QUOTE said:
It's normal for the Traverse to have the voltage drop on longer trips, mine always starts at 15 and then after some driving, it drops down as the battery is refilled. Upon start up, always at 15 for a while.

Registered
So does yours bounce between 12 and 15 mine usually stays around 15 but every now and then will just randomly drop to 12 sometimes goes months sometimes days. Ive noticed i can shut the car off and restart it and it goes back to around 15. Also seems to do it more on colder days
Not unusual. Read your owners manual under Battery Load Management.

If the battery is charged (and showings lower voltage) and you shut it off and re-start it, you've just pulled a LOT of juice out of it, and the alternator will go back up to a higher voltage to recharge it. It also goes up with headlights on (and probably seat heaters if you have them).

Also - The gauge has a 10 volt span (9.0 to 14.0) but doesn't have 10 tick marks, it has 8 tick marks (real smart, GM), so each tick mark on the meter is NOT 1 volt each, it is 1.25 volts each. So they are at 9.0, 10.25, 11.5, 12.75, 14.0, 15.25, 16.5, 17.75, 19.0

Looks like they dropped the meter from the 2nd Gen (probably too many people asking the same question you did).

Registered
2020 High Country
2nd Gen has a volt meter in the drivers display in it's options when you scroll past the MPG and oil life screens.

Registered
2020 High Country
Thanks for the info. No mention of it in the Owner's manual (2019 at least).
It's the trans. temp screen that has gone by the wayside in my '20, but it has a useless offroad tilt gauge and the following distance garbage of the ghost activated auto braking.

Registered
Mine is doing something similar, there are moments where it shows a voltage of 12.5V and won鈥檛 go up or down, and if i restart the motor it will go up to 13.6V, and then move to 14.5 and drop to 13.6V, is that something normal? Went to Autozone and a lady, that didn鈥檛 seem to know too much, tested the alternator and said that there was a voltage error, should i trust that and change alternator or should i follow what the voltage level shows in the car and drive for a long period? Just replaced the battery last Monday and since then, barely driven the car more than 8 miles, should i do a longer test drive and see if it really works?

Registered
2020 High Country
Normal. Voltage will drop to the 12.5v when battery is fully charged.
If charging system had an issue, you would never see any voltage reading over the 12.5 and would see readings below 12v.
After starting the engine, the alternator recharges the battery until has been ''refilled'' from the drain of starting so voltage reading will be higher for a while. Voltage reading will drop as battery recharges. New batteries recharge faster and that will slow down over time. Especially with short trips.
It takes at least 15 min. of engine running for the charging system to replenish the battery from just one start up.
All normal processes.
Parts store people are not auto technicians, if they were they would not be working there.

Registered
Awesome, thanks for the clarification. I have to say that i freaked out after i鈥檝e disconnected the negative pole of the battery and the motor shutted down, but that might have been that the computer was not making the alternator charge the battery since it was full of charge, makes total sense

Registered
Do not disconnect battery terminal while engine is running on modern vehicles. It can ruin the computers ... $$$$$$

• Helpful
Reactions: repairman54
21 - 33 of 33 Posts