Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 travese LTZ, alternator went out... so I thought. Alternator was not charging on dash volt meter. Replaced alternator and a week later ended up with dead battery. Replaced battery and 3 days later while I was driving notice service charging system warning came back on. Watched volt meter and only had about 12 volts. While still running i disconnected battery and confirmed alternator not charging as the car died. After I connected battery ground the problem went away. Volt meter reading just above 14 and warning message gone. Drove car for a few more days and again service charging system light came back on, pulled over and again disconnected ground on battery, same result. Everything is back to normal , charging above 14 and no warning lights. What could be causing this issue with the alternator that disconnecting the battery ground wire would "reset " this issue.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
I would refrain from disconnecting the ground on battery- while the engine is running.
It appears to help you get going. The issue is that when you disconnect the ground- the circuit attempts to find a new ground. In the process it can fry your ECM/PCM.
This part can get very expensive.
Let me see of I can find the bulletin.

·
Registered
12,068 Posts
Reactions: coolcoil

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
Was the replacement alternator a rebuilt one? Rebuilds are notorious for failures.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same year, make and model, have the same problem. Where you able to ever find out the problem and what It is that needs to be fixed. Instead of taking ground or positive terminal while the car is running would it still work why car is off?

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
Disconnecting the battery while engine is running is a big NO NO on todays computer controlled systems.
That was OK in the '70's , but not today.
Volt meter test at battery is the proper check.
Depending on year there can be a voltage sensor on one of the battery terminals/cables that system uses to monitor charging/power flow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got that it’s bad to disconnect the battery while it’s running, but can I disconnect the battery with the engine off and get table same result to where the alternator would work? I also don’t know how to find the problem because we took it to the dealer and they copy find the problem. They said us was a bad grounding strap. Well later it happed again. Don’t know how to fix it other than disconnect battery.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
1,169 Posts
No . Engine has to be running to turn alternator so it charges.
If it was just at the dealer and still has a issue take it back to them.

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LS AWD
2 Posts
I have a '13 LS with what seems to be the exact problem. I'm not going to the dealer, to spend $$$ on diagnostics. In the meantime, I have found that turning it off, disconnecting the + cables under the hood and reconnecting them, works in "resetting" the issue.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2009 travese LTZ, alternator went out... so I thought. Alternator was not charging on dash volt meter. Replaced alternator and a week later ended up with dead battery. Replaced battery and 3 days later while I was driving notice service charging system warning came back on. Watched volt meter and only had about 12 volts. While still running i disconnected battery and confirmed alternator not charging as the car died. After I connected battery ground the problem went away. Volt meter reading just above 14 and warning message gone. Drove car for a few more days and again service charging system light came back on, pulled over and again disconnected ground on battery, same result. Everything is back to normal , charging above 14 and no warning lights. What could be causing this issue with the alternator that disconnecting the battery ground wire would "reset " this issue.
Have you figured out what the problem was with your Chevy Traverse?? I've been having the excate same issues. Took it to the dealership, they have NO idea what the problem is. Replaced the Alternator and Battery x2, serpentine belt and A.C. module that blew when the battery went out. Does anyone have any helpful information to fix this problem!!

·
Registered
2013 Traverse LS AWD
2 Posts
Have you figured out what the problem was with your Chevy Traverse?? I've been having the excate same issues. Took it to the dealership, they have NO idea what the problem is. Replaced the Alternator and Battery x2, serpentine belt and A.C. module that blew when the battery went out. Does anyone have any helpful information to fix this problem!!
I've disconnected the cables at the fuse panel under the hood, disassembled the fuse panel, and reassembled everything...has lasted quite a while, without acting up again. I have noticed my headlights flicker from time to time, so I wonder if I've got a ground issue 🤔

·
Registered
11 Posts
There's a possibility. It defentiely has to be some type of electrical issue relating to the battery and alternator. Whatever it is, is draining the battery and preventing the alternator from doing it's job. Chevy needs to do a recall on this for sure, I've seen so many post on this same issue over and over. There's also a sensor on the negative battery cable that can go bad or not be connecting for whatever reason. I'm dumbfounded right now on how to fix my issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did
You figure out what's causing this? Mine is doing the same thing

·
Registered
11 Posts
I finally figured out my issue. As stated I had already replaced battery and alternator. But continued to have the same issues. My brother-in-law, took the 3rd alternator off, (still had warranty) and replaced it with another one. I had already tried a non-delco, a Delco, and one directly from the manufacturer. But anyways after replacing with another alternator, I've been driving my Traverse with zero problems. Battery voltage staying b/t 12v-15v. So apparently I was buying **** alternators this entire time. And to think all the parts I replaced while trying to figure this problem out🙄

1 - 20 of 33 Posts