Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an annoying issue with the silver trim pieces that run up from the center console to door. The piece on the left side is a solid piece but the piece on the right is two pieces and they don't fit right, almost looks like it broke but you can tell that it didn't. If I press down hard they line up, seems like it just needs some tape or some sort of glue. Debating if I should take it to the dealer as it is somewhat annoying to see that out of place. Any one have the same problem? It's a 2010 LT1 ???

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I think I know what youre talking about..
hope this is it.
in the picture.... I removed the trim to remove the radio and look at the back of it....
But look at the end of the silver strip on the dash-- right below it-- there is a vertical slit. this is where a clip pops in...
If you look at the console-- that has the wires attached to it... on the rt hand side there are metal clips... these metal clips pop into the slits.
You may have to remove the trim piece and possibly look at the clip... you may be able to bend it out a little so that it applies more pressure on the slit.
To remove the trim- no special tools. you can pull on it gently and they begin to give way.
If im not mistaken- I started at the bottom- and pulled on the trim.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I see... it appears to be the top portion---- this too has one of those clips-- though I dont recall removing it---

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
As reference- this is what mine looks like.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I too was afraid to remove any of those trim pieces on my wife's new 2010 Traverse when I wanted to do the by-pass for the factory nav and had to splice into a wire at the back of the radio. Well, since it wasn't my car :D I went ahead and did it! I was surprised at how easily the piece did pull off, and didn't break anything at all!

The only screw up I almost had was when I put it back together. I didn't realize at first that on the left side piece, there was a tab on the removed trim piece which had to go under the piece still in place before setting the snaps back in. I don't recall if the same is true on the right hand piece. I would go look right now, except my wife has locked her car and hidden the cars from me! :eek:hno:

I would remove that side and see if I could get it to fit properly. There might be a little bit of play in the clips on the back of the trim piece to adjust the fit. I really think this is something you can adjust yourself. Good luck.

As for the nav by-pass, it works great! I installed the switch under the driver's side dash out of sight but easy enough to reach and flip when needed.

A

·
0 Posts
ls973800 said:
As for the nav by-pass, it works great! I installed the switch under the driver's side dash out of sight but easy enough to reach and flip when needed.
Here is a NAV bypass done on an Acadia

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
thats a slick bypass.... :thumb:

A

·
0 Posts
Quantum said:
What is a nav by-pass?
A NAV bypass allows you to manipulate the NAV system while the gear shifter is out of park; you can also watch DVD's on the front screen. The pic I posted is strictly for the NAV manipulation

EDIT: Let me clarify; the pic I posted is a NAV bypass; here is a link to a product to be able to watch video on the front NAV screen

http://www.coastaletech.com/GMLOCKPICK.htm

·
Registered
78 Posts
As a further clarification, the switch you show isolates the vehicle speed sensor (vss) wire from the radio. It is the vss signal generated by movement of the vehicle which shuts off some nav functions and isolating that signal which brings them back.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Back to the topic. I had asked my dealer to fix this issue when I picked up mine. It is a 2011 LT2 btw. Same issue. So they ordered a new part, it comes in, they replace it. Just went to pick it up. Looks exactly as I left off. So we had a discussion, the guys showed me what they did, and I have to admit, without glueing it down, I do not know what else they possibly could do.

So just came back with it. Anyone else has a better idea? I have checked other Travs and some of them seem to have this problem. It is sad though - it is right at the eye level the passenger. So anyone who is interested in cars will notice the gap. I did, the moment I stepped inside the car.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I haven't noticed that on our 2011, I'll have to take a look when my wife gets home from work to see if it is an issue on ours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just joined the forum and my trim looks exactly like your pic. If I push down it lines up perfect. I know its an old thread but was seeing if anyone has tried any fixes. Do not want to try to pull it off and break something.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
theres a tech bulleting about this.. just saw it the other day...

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
2010 - 2011
Traverse -- Gap or poor fit of IP center trim plate to passenger side spear molding
do this---Move IP trim panels per instructions
dont do this---Replace IP or IP trim
PI0387

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I like how GM is trying to modify or bend impropper fitting trim pieces on certain vehicles, instead of replacing something that may have just been warped a bit in transport before it was attached to the car. I know this saves them, and us money in the long run, but seriously. If it doesn't fit, don't force it, is what I was always told.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts