Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving back home tonight looking at my Odometer at 197787, and as I was approaching I87 from I787 in Albany .Coincidence? My airbag light came on, then the tire pressure monitor light was flashing. Then the message on the display said service airbag and service tire pressure monitor system. Then the radio went out and all dash displays and lights went out.
I turned the headlights off and on a few times, they work. Then after a minute, the instrument panel came back to life, brighter than it ever was, I couldn't dim it. The airbag indicator was on, as well as the security and engine temperature. No gauges worked. The messages showed tire pressure ----, Average fuel economy --- ,trip odometer 302.5, odometer 197,787 for the whole trip of 120 miles. The turn signals worked but no indication or sound. Cruise control worked but no indication on dash. Fog lamps worked but no indication on dash. Heated seats had no indication on the switch that they were on.
I dared not turn the engine off fearing that it wouldn't start up again. I just refueled so I was OK to make it home.
It was quite a long trip with no music or football game.

I made it home, odometer still at 197,787. I turned it off and tried to start. The first try it started and stopped. The second try it didn't crank as if it was a dead battery. all lights worked. so it shouldn't be battery.
I let it sit an hour and it started right up , instrument panel went through self test just fine and gauges work. No airbag, temp or security indicators are on.
A little back story. I drive with seat all the way back, my daughter drove on on this trip before this happened and she has seat pretty far up. Also, I change in ski pants in back seat and move drivers seat and back ALL the way up, so the under seat connection may be the issue. Further investigation coming. I just disconnected the seat connection and reconnected it but I have yet to drive it again.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
What about ambient temps?
Super cold?

·
Registered
3,231 Posts
Wow. I was hearing the Twilight Zone music as I read your post.

Don't know why your under seat connector would have anything to do with your issue.

I'm thinking more like water got into something??

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Ive had the Airbag light come on after the seats been moved.
Move it again-- and power cycle.... message gone.

Coincidence/Cause and effect?

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I checked the connector under the drivers seat on the outside, it wasn't loose but I was able to push it in another 1/8". I removed it and checked for moisture and corrosion, none. I removed it and it started and stopped just like last night, tried it again and it didn't start just like last night. Is this the connector for the fuel pump?
The truck ran fine around the block and the odometer picked up where it left off before this happened.
I disconnected the big connector under the seat and started it, no problem, I was thinking the air bag sensor connection went through it but it is separate.
Disconnecting this just affected the seat movements.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All indications are pointing to the under seat airbag connectors. There was a recall back in 2011-2012 where they determined that there was a intermittent high resistance in the connectors. The fix back then was to solder one side of the pins, male or female, the other side was too close to the plastic body to solder. I brought the truck in to have this done.
There was another recall in 2014 to eliminate the connector all together and solder the wires directly, this requires removing the seat bolts and tilting it back to access the wiring. I don't believe I ever received this recall notice, but I found it online.
https://www.lawsonproducts.com/image...SB14030_AD.pdf

After diagnosis by a coworker with a Snap On tech tool, we saw a varying resistance in the passenger airbag seat loop. I will probably do this repair myself since I fear the dealer will challenge me on it. The soldering must be done with a non electric soldering iron so as not to introduce a voltage on the airbag wire. The tool stated that the instrument panel will be disabled with this condition, this was the first time this happened to me.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
A thought - Changing from ski pants - Snow or rain? See if the driver's rug is damp. If so melted snow or rain may have got in through a leak in the windshield, door seal or (if equipped) overflowed the sunroof pan because of frozen drains down the A pillar. Later happened in my Avalanche and water had nowhere to go but trail down the A pillar and baptized the fuse block...weird things began to happen until I dried the dash area and removed water in the electrical harness channel under the driver's side door sills with a hairdryer.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A thought - Changing from ski pants - Snow or rain? See if the driver's rug is damp. If so melted snow or rain may have got in through a leak in the windshield, door seal or (if equipped) overflowed the sunroof pan because of frozen drains down the A pillar. Later happened in my Avalanche and water had nowhere to go but trail down the A pillar and baptized the fuse block...weird things began to happen until I dried the dash area and removed water in the electrical harness channel under the driver's side door sills with a hairdryer.
I have some water there but not on the fuse block or airbag connector. When I experience a blocked sunroof tube, I dry it out for a day or two with a fan and a dehumidifier. When I pull the seat down I can perform an thorough inspection.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Airbag Connector

Wow. I was hearing the Twilight Zone music as I read your post.

Don't know why your under seat connector would have anything to do with your issue.

I'm thinking more like water got into something??
Rabarios stated that he had an airbag light after he moved his seat. I am going to eliminate the airbag connector as per recall 14030.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Upon arriving home after the gauge incident happened, the truck didn't start. The next day it did start. After I eliminated the connector and soldered the wires,I had no problems for a few years, sold it ,it's still on the road.
I didn't see 2016 s in that recall but that doesn't mean that the connector isn't the problem, these vehicles do seem the have unique issues and a lot of them are similar as we do find a lot of common problems here on the forums.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2015 Traverse LS 42k miles just experienced the exact same issue, tire low pressure warning came on, then air bag system light then came on...then the Dash lights went black and came back on...

Check lights went out then was fine the rest of the day, today same check lights came on same sequence as above...

Reading https://www.lawsonproducts.com/images/content/KRSC_GMTSB14030_AD.pdf seems light the same issue?

Am I correct in assuming that its the air bag connector under the seat(s)??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts