Traverse Forum banner

Installing a Sirius Radio

8K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  rbarrios 
#1 ·
So on my Trailblazer- I have one of these...

I like it because I can REPLAY the last 45 minutes of whatever I was listening to... favorite song... you can replay for 45 minutes.. it then begins to overwrite....
It also has song/artist recall... when ever a song Ive listed as a favorite plays--- the unit beeps- and tells me its playing and I press a button and it takes me to it....
normally you tune into a station and pick up the signal... I found it had too much noise...
So Instead I purchased the kit--- that allows you to plug a cable from the unit (Antenna OUT).... and run it to the back of the factory radio plug in the vehicles antenna into the cable/box-- and then into the radio--- in essence youre 'injecting' the signal straight into the radio--- and when you tune into that frequency-- it sounds- really good.

Now- I have XM on my car radio........for free for 3 months..
But if I want Howard Stern-- I have to pay extra..... and i really like the replay/ favorite song feature...............
We did this on my GF impala... it works great.. but.. theres no REPLAY feature...

The question is this...
has anyone installed one of these into a Traverse?
Run the cable to the back of the factory radio?

How easy is it to remove the factory radio---- as in slide it out to see the connections?

Any insight would be helpful.

See less See more
#2 ·
I have not installed this but I have installed the P.A.L. Removing the radio is fairly easy - gently pull the silver color trim on each side of the radio, bottom first, and work your way up. Be carefull at the top left as there is a retaining clip in the center that's pretty tight. On the top right, the silver trim interlocks with the piece that goes across the dash. Once the bezel is off, you'll see the 4 screws holding the radio in.

If I had mine here I would post some pics....

#3 ·
When our XM runs out, we plan to use our Sirius portable unit withthe FM transmitter.

I think the whole thing head unit and antenna, can fit under the dash-top cubby-hole.

Does anyone know if there is a 12-volt source & ground under that dash-top cubby-hole - and it it comes out easily?

I realize that a direct output is better fidelity, yada-yada, but with my hearing as it is - the FM is just fine.

If the GM XM radio had a hardwire input, then great, I might just use it.

We also use that same portable Sirius head unit for our home inside a boombox. I figured were were either home or in the car - so there was no need for us to have more than one Sirius head unit.

Its also important to note that we bought a "LifeTime Membership" about a year after Sirius came out, (whenever that was). Really, we NEVER PAY any monthly fee for that one head unit.

Attachments

#4 ·
You might also want to look into this...
http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-sirgm1-p-228.html

Its a sirius receiver that goes behind the dash to replace the XM one. It doesn't list the Traverse as supported or not (probably since its still somewhat new), but this might be an option. For $75, you should be able to transfer the sirius lifetime sub from your current one to this receiver. Although, that would lose you the song memory and replay options.

Personally, I had a sirius lifetime sub receiver and a secondary monthly one in my wifes car. When we got the Traverse, I was going to try and transfer the secondary subscription to the xm radio, but apparently even though the two companies merged, you can't mix the subscriptions with a sirius sub and a xm radio (really stupid...). Since I didn't want an attachment hanging off our new ride, I just cancelled the secondary sirius sub and got a xm lifetime for the factory radio. Its also annoying you can't take your 3 free XM months and use it as a credit towards a lifetime sub....ah well, it'll pay for itself in about 2.5 years.

#5 ·
phantom1584 said:
You might also want to look into this...
http://www.tss-radio.com/sirius-connect-sirgm1-p-228.html

Its a sirius receiver that goes behind the dash to replace the XM one. It doesn't list the Traverse as supported or not (probably since its still somewhat new), but this might be an option. For $75, you should be able to transfer the sirius lifetime sub from your current one to this receiver. Although, that would lose you the song memory and replay options.

Personally, I had a sirius lifetime sub receiver and a secondary monthly one in my wifes car. When we got the Traverse, I was going to try and transfer the secondary subscription to the xm radio, but apparently even though the two companies merged, you can't mix the subscriptions with a sirius sub and a xm radio (really stupid...). Since I didn't want an attachment hanging off our new ride, I just cancelled the secondary sirius sub and got a xm lifetime for the factory radio. Its also annoying you can't take your 3 free XM months and use it as a credit towards a lifetime sub....ah well, it'll pay for itself in about 2.5 years.
Do you have to run anoter antena, or does it use the XM antena?
Do you have to run another antena, or does it use the factory XM antena?

#8 ·
I noticed my little Sirius radio has an AUDIO connection...
That must mean its an AUDIO OUT...
so I can plug in a cable from this-- to the AUDIO IN jack on the radio...
So If I cant do it the way I have it on my Trailblazer... ill use the jack on the front of the radio

#9 ·
I used to have Sirius before I got the Traverse. When my trial ran out I called XM and they gave me the Sirius channels for free - in fact, better than free $77 for 1yr

#10 ·
Im mostly interested in Howard Stern...
here in Los Angeles Rush hour traffic-- all the laughs I can get make the traffic bearable.
I wonder... I may have to call them up and find out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.