Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sylvania FINALLY released the H11 bulbs.
Id been waiting for these (also installed in my Impala).
So I installed the bulbs.
I made another post- a HOW TO access your headlamp bulbs.....

Here are the new H11 silverstars and the OLD factory bulb.... if you look at the factory bulb-- (only had about 800 miles on my 2010)-- it was already HAZY at the base.
The old bulb is sitting on the cover that must be removed from the back to access the bulbs.

in this image- LOW BEAMS- Silverstar on right, factory on left.

in this image- HIGH BEAMS(and low beams) are on

I think it looks nicer.

At the moment- im not interested in aftermarket HID. The amount of scattered light is too great- blinding oncoming traffic is not for me.

Since the Traverse uses the LOW beams as DRL's, it will shorten the life of the Silverstars.
Im guessing the LOW's will last maybe 6-8 months.... im basing this on the life of the Silverstars in the Trailblazer I had-. (that also used the lows as DRL's).....
Dont want to pay full price of the silverstars? Buy on sale-- with mail in rebates... and buy the silverstars on ebay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
rbarrios said:
Id been waiting for these (also installed in my Impala).
On your Impala, you should have gone with HID headlamps. My brother-in-law gave me a set as a gift this Summer. And it is easiest thing to install on my wife's Impala (adding relay to battery & disable DRL, etc). Silverstar doesn't come close!!!

I had Silverstar bulbs on my Grand Prix and burned 4 separate bulbs in about a year. Unless it can last longer, I would not recommend Silverstar considering HID is so cheap.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
the problem I have- is the light pattern HID's make. they essentially scatter the light. its alot of light- but it goes all over the place- including oncomming traffics eyes- thats my thing--- I dont like being blinded-- so I dont want to blind others.

If they made HID bulbs that were made to specs of the reflector - then Id have bought a long time ago.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have had the same luck with Silverstars. The life of them is way to short, be it from the voltage fluctuations or what? I have seen with PIAA bulbs they sell a regulator to keep the voltage at 13.2 volts, I believe. That is what makes me think that voltage might be the problem. When I first got the truck in 06 I installed Silverstar replacements in the driving lights and they work much better than factory and they have outlasted four sets of the low beams, Lower wattage longer life? In january I picked up a set of Hella replacement bulbs for my P/U and they are still performing great. So the Hella bulbs are another option available if you want to look into them.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sylvanias website says that these bulbs last about 1 yr.

BUT- in vehicles that use their low beam bulbs as DRL's are running the bulbs all the time. so that shortens the life of the bulb.

Some Trailblazer owners were emailed I think by Sylvania- and told that silverstars were not recommened in the Trailblazers..
I think something with the electrical).. but I continued to use them in my Trailblazer and would get about 6-8 months life out of the low beams.

Its yet to be seen how many miles I can get out of them in the Traverse.
I wonder if its related to the voltage being 12 volt..... but the computer intermitantly chops the signal x times a second-- to create a lower intensity light.
I cant remember the name at the moment... piece wise signal?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts