Traverse Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is driving me crazy, but for some reason I can't figure this out.

How do you get the inside lights to turn on when you unlock the doors via the remote, or open the doors when you're in the car? I can't get them to go on. I thought this was the approach lighting setting on the DIC, but that turns on the outside lights when you unlock the door with the remote.

Does this car not have that ability?

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
33 Posts
mihalich said:
Ok, this is driving me crazy, but for some reason I can't figure this out.

How do you get the inside lights to turn on when you unlock the doors via the remote, or open the doors when you're in the car? I can't get them to go on. I thought this was the approach lighting setting on the DIC, but that turns on the outside lights when you unlock the door with the remote.

Does this car not have that ability?

Thanks,
Joe
Think you have the internal light button turned off...should be right above the instrument panel turn knob on the left side of steering wheel just right of the external lights turn knob or could be that knob is turned off...not sure if that makes sense....hope it helps.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no idea where you're talking about. Normally, there's a dome light push button on the dash, below the instrument panel on the left side of the steering wheel, and you push it to toggle the dome light state when you open the doors. I don't see that on this thing.

The only button down there on this thing is the one that turns the instrument panel lights dimmer or brighter. That also turns on the dome light if you turn it all the way to the right. But that's not what I want.

Joe

·
Registered
201 Posts
I will go out when I get a minute and look at a Traverse to hopefully clarify this for you. Should get back to you in about an hour or so.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think we are all trying to reference the Dome Lamp Override switch pictured on dash picture in the owners manual on page 3-4 and discussed on page 3-11: "The dome lamp override button is located next to the exterior lamps control. The dome lamp override sets the dome lamps to remain off or come on automatically when a door is opened. Press the button IN and the dome lamps remain off when a door is opened. Press the button again to return it to the extended position so that the dome lamps come on when a door is opened."

Let us know if this is what you are talking about or not. On my Venture minivan, this was a more clearly-seen toggle switch part of the center overhead console. It was easier, IMO, to see whether it was engaged or not. Need to get used to the push button in/out functionality...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I had this exact same problem several years ago with my Acadia and it discussed and solved here - http://www.acadiaforum.net/forum/index.php?topic=52.msg436#msg436

"Hey Admin...press the button above the dash brightness knob. Its icon looks like a dome light with a "no" line through it -- it's the "dome light override" and should fix your problem."

It doesn't even look like am actual button at first glance!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh my god. No way. I just ran out to check this out. That is the dumbest ass thing I have seen in a while. No way anybody is going to figure out that you can press that thing. And, it's so easy to accidentally push if you happen to touch the dimmer knob. I'm sure that's how they got turned off in the first place.

Does the manual actually talk about that button? I'll have to look at the manual tonight to see if it talks about it, now that i know where to look.

Might want to FAQ This like you did in the Acadia forum. This will surely be a recurring theme.

Joe

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had the same problem. I'm going by memory here to so I may be wrong. But I thought there was a Dome Light setting in the DIC. I remember mine was disable so my dome light wouldn't come on. I enabled it and everything is fine. BTW, I have that Dome Override Button pushed in and my dome lights come on. Check that... the dome lights in the front come on. I haven't noticed if the rear ones come on or not.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Joe,

With a 5 and a 6 year old that love to turn the lights on for Mom without her knowing it, we actually had the salesman show us where the button was and verified that it worked for everything in the compartment. Not really as big of a deal as he told us that the vehicle has a battery save feature which will kill any light left on too long. Not sure I want to put that to test yet. The kids actually now have gotten good enough to flick the venture minivan kill toggle switch on the center overhead console when Mom is not in the van and suddenly, whoa, who put the lights on? This makes it harder, IMO, for children to get to the kill switch. Glad to have helped. Now ENJOY that traverse.

·
Registered
33 Posts
mihalich said:
Oh my god. No way. I just ran out to check this out. That is the dumbest ass thing I have seen in a while. No way anybody is going to figure out that you can press that thing. And, it's so easy to accidentally push if you happen to touch the dimmer knob. I'm sure that's how they got turned off in the first place.

Does the manual actually talk about that button? I'll have to look at the manual tonight to see if it talks about it, now that i know where to look.

Might want to FAQ This like you did in the Acadia forum. This will surely be a recurring theme.

Joe
Now I know why you didn't know what I was talking about. You couldn't find it...and yes it is in the manual.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I seem to have the opposite problem: the dome lights are not coming on automatically when the dome override is off. I have consulted the manual that says with the button pressed in, this overrides the dome lights and they remain off. Great. So when I push the button to extend the knob, this should enable the some lights when the door is opened. This is not working, lights remain off when the door is opened.

Is there another setting or button that I need to know about?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fact that you used the word 'knob' tells me you're pushing the wrong thing. Click the link earlier in this post, and read the post that it jumps to. The guy explains right where it is. It is not obvious and doesn't even look like a button. It is flat plastic that doesn't even look like it does anything..but it pushes in and out. It does work once you find it.

Joe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Oh. My. Gawd.

You were correct. I pushed the "button that looks like part of the panel" and it worked. I have browsed other forums and found out that many others had the same problem trying to find the hidden "button". The design of that was probably a joke by GM "let's see how many people will get annoyed trying to find the dome override! Let's leave it off out of the factory! Tee hee!!"

Well, if there were any complaint about the Traverse, that would be it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This one bit me too. The night I took delivery of my Traverse, we got home and it was dark. And, so was the Traverse as we tried to exit. It took me until the next day to find that hidden switch. Now that I know where it is, I like it. Very well designed to not stick out like a sore thumb.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts