Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking all over for incentives before purchasing my new Traverse. I'm still checking into the one that 'staciesbaby' told me about with USAA. I believe they told me that I have to have insurance through them to qualify for the $750 incentive, but I'm not sure yet. Well, my real question is, what sort of incentive to you get with a code ending in GSU? I have a friend that gave me the code for the 'friends and family' incentive. I'm just not sure if it is a lower price like the supplier pricing, or if it is some sort of set amount off the price. Anyone have any idea since he wasn't sure himself?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I'm not sure about the GSU code or what it means. We joined USAA by opening a $25.00 savings account over the phone and getting a membership number. Give them a call, they were very helpful.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just called USAA. They said that since I am eligible for Property & Casualty Insurance wtih USAA that I qualify for the $750 GM/USAA Rebate. They sent an email to me and the dealer. I didn't have to open an account or get any insurance. I registered online with my dates of Active Duty, and that is all I had to do.

I'm still trying to find out what sort of incentive the GSU number I will get. I got it from my friend that works at GM. Not sure if it is a pricing, or a discount. I already get supplier pricing through my Credit Union so I hope it isn't just a redundant incentive. Someone told me it was $1,500 off, another said it was just a discounted price. Hopefully it isn't the later.

·
Registered
21 Posts
jfdpratt said:
I just called USAA. They said that since I am eligible for Property & Casualty Insurance wtih USAA that I qualify for the $750 GM/USAA Rebate. They sent an email to me and the dealer. I didn't have to open an account or get any insurance. I registered online with my dates of Active Duty, and that is all I had to do.

I'm still trying to find out what sort of incentive the GSU number I will get. I got it from my friend that works at GM. Not sure if it is a pricing, or a discount. I already get supplier pricing through my Credit Union so I hope it isn't just a redundant incentive. Someone told me it was $1,500 off, another said it was just a discounted price. Hopefully it isn't the later.
You might want to look at USAA's auto buying service. I was quoted a price that was $900 under invoice on a Traverse.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jfdpratt:

Maybe it won't hurt you, but I wouldn't have let USAA send that email to the dealer. It could compromise your bargaining position. If the dealer knows you've got that discount in your back pocket, he may not budge on price as much. Only YOU need to know about these discounts (and be able to prove you're eligible for them). They come off the best price you can negotiate. When you tell the dealer about them up-front, it's likely to work against you.

Something you might want to verify with GM before buying: In my quest to purchase a 2011 Traverse, I was told by a GM Marketing person that the USAA rebate could not be combined with the Loyalty rebate, so you might want to double-check this to make sure there are no surprises at purchase time. GM Marketing is funny ... some things they'll tell you and others they'll say "check with your dealer". Yeah right !! I'm going to show up at the dealership and of course the dealer is going to say, "...sorry, but you can't combine those rebates..." ... and then what do you do? You have to do what they say because GM Marketing won't tell you otherwise! And while I'm on the subject of dealer "surprises", keep your eyes open for dealer pricing that beats all the other dealers' prices. They're either subtracting out ALL possible rebates (most of which you won't qualify for) to arrive at that price, or they're going to tell you at purchase time that they were going to sneak you through on 'Employee Pricing' (voiding use of your GM dollars and possibly certain other rebates which cannot be combined with Employee Pricing ... unless the program is in effect for ALL buyers and advertised nationally).

As far as using buying services like Costco (and maybe USAA ... not sure how that one works), I don't like them because the dealer sees you coming. With Costco, you can only buy at certain dealerships and at the Costco price. You're pretty much forfeiting your bargaining position in return for a "so-so" deal and (maybe) no headaches. To me, these services are for people who fear negotiation ... people who KNOW they don't have the willpower to hammer out a fair deal for themselves or know they'll be fooled by the crooked math tactics that many sales or finance managers employ. Caving through one of these clubs or services is the easy way out for them.

By the way, I GOOGLED "GSU GM" and GSU is just supplier pricing. It's the same thing as the credit union pricing, etc. You use one or the other. And they won't let you combine your GM dollars with either one! I've read where some people claim to have combined the two 5 years ago, but not anymore. When I bought my 2011 Equinox, I negotiated the same figure as supplier or credit union pricing. It's nothing special ... $1300-$1500, like you mentioned...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have been talking to four dealers in the area, and the one that I had them email it to is one that I haven't talked to since I started looking. We are going to meet her tomorrow though just to get an idea of what we would be looking at price wise. I am horrible at negotiating, but I guess I need to get better really fast. I wasn't aware that you could negotiate below supplier/GM Pricing. I found out today that they were about the same thing. One is a GSU code from a GM employee, and the other is a GNI code from my credit union. I found that they are pretty much the same price. The USAA $750 incentive has a 2/1/2011 expiration date though, so I would have to use it quickly.

Right now I'm looking at GM Loyalty for $1,000 as well as the 0% or $2,000 back/off. USAA incentive for $750, and whatever I get for Supplier/Friend and Family pricing. I will have my trade in and down payment of course, but that is about it. Since I want the 0%, it looks as though I will have $1,750 off the price of whatever I negotiate. Is there a chance that can be below Supplier Pricing, or is that just wishful thinking?

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Is there a chance that can be below Supplier Pricing, or is that just wishful thinking?

We were all set to sign papers using the Supplier Price or the Credit Union Price ( both of which were the same price) when we found out we could NOT use our GM credit card earnings with either program. We actually walked out and were ready to leave when the salesman got us to come back in (like I knew he would).

Ended up beating the Supplier Price by several hundred dollars and were able to use our GM earnings.

Make sure you concentrate on one transaction only. Negotiate the price of the new vehicle, then negotiate the price of the trade in. This way you will know exactly what they are offering on your trade without playing games on the price of the new vehicle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if you could beat supplier pricing on a Traverse. I don't think they're selling very well. The rebate started at $1500, then it went up to $2000 while the 2010's were still being cleared out with the $2500 rebates! I think that's a little unusual. And when I was watching the inventories on the 1LT I was looking at purchasing, the Traverses were sitting for MONTHS! I had a list of 50 units and up until the end of the year, only 8 had sold. In fact, a few that APPEARED to have been sold turned out to still be on the dealer's lot .... for whatever reason, the hyperlink to the vehicle had been changed by the dealer. Maybe they do this from time to time when vehicles aren't moving - kind of like what the real estate people do when they take a house off the MLS and then re-list it later as "new on the market"??

As I mentioned previously, the best Traverse deal I had was a $33,955 1LT for $29,700 (or $28,700 with the Loyalty Rebate). Still not good enough to compel me to purchase. Never checked where this price fell compared to Supplier or Credit Union pricing. My deals were done entirely using Edmunds' numbers (another sham, but it's really all you've got to go by)...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in the middle of this right now. We have supplier pricing, loyalty rebate, and USAA rebate. The thing is that the dealer gave me supplier pricing, took off the rebates, and then pretty much said this is what you pay. I know that we are getting some off with the supplier pricing, but really. is that all they can do. I of course want to pay the least amount, and they want the most, but that just seems to cut and dry for buying a new car. I just remember the old saying, no one ever pays sticker price. . . I'm just not sure how low I should try and get them. Here is what they are offering right now.

Steel Green FWD 2LT (MSRP: $35,220)
Connectivity Package
Trailering Package
Heated Seats

Adding the headrest DVD Players ( $1,595)

After USAA and Loyalty, with the DVD installed, they are offereing me $37,541 out the door. That is before trade in, or down payment. Not sure where this falls into what other people are paying. Seems to be a little high to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I just placed an order for a 2LT AWD with trailering, connectivity, and heated seats. MSRP $38,335. Purchase price 36,250 before rebates.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We were going to do the same, but we wanted to take advantage of the 0% APR, so we didn't order. We wouldn't be able to take delivery by the time the incentive expired on 2/28. I think we are just going to have to live with what we can find locally to take advantage of the incentive.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Our dealer told us 6-8 weeks for delivery so it's going to be a coin toss on whether the vehicle will be delivered by 2/28 when the current incentives expire. I'm not too concerned because I find it hard to believe that the incentives would change that drastically, and there's a chance they could even be better. Our Acadia lease ends in Mid-March so we just need it by then. The reason I wanted to order was because we wanted the 2LT with cloth, and around here most have leather.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is the same thing that we have found around here. We wanted Nav and DVD too, but they are just about non existant. I don't know if we would be getting the car without the 0% though. I know they say the incentives usually get better, but I'm not sure. I know the Traverses haven't been selling as well as the Equinox, so I wonder if the incentives will get better.

·
Registered
48 Posts
jfdpratt:

$35,220 looks like a 'stripped' 2LT (on a FWD) to me. You sure that's the MSRP? I found one in Texas but it has no options on it ... no trailering, no nothing.

I was going to see what kind of purchase price (out-the-door) you were looking at, but something's not right here...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had to ask her the same thing. I looked at the email she sent me and had to go back and do the numbers. $35,220 is MSRP for a 2LT FWD with no options at all. Her email was a little Cryptic, but here is the just of what she meant after I called her and got clarification.

Steel Green FWD 2LT
Cloth Heated Seats
Connectivity Package
Trailering Package
Dual Headrest Installed DVD

GM Loyalty -$1,000
USAA Rebate -$750

After tax, license, and whatever else, she is giving me a $37,541 OTD. This is before my trade and anything down. I tried to get her to lower the price or throw the DVD in since they didn't have the overhead one like I wanted. . . She said since we are getting Friends and Family pricing that they can't go lower than that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Looks like this vehicle is really a $37,780 MSRP (or thereabouts)???

This is what Edmunds says (for a 2LT FWD with the 4 options you listed):

Invoice MSRP True Market Value
Base Price $32,723 $34,445 $33,029
Heated Driver and Front Passenger Seats $220 $250 $225
Personal Connectivity Package $299 $340 $306
Trailering Equipment $462 $525 $473
Rear Entertainment System w/USB Port $1,272 $1,445 $1,303
Destination Fee $775 $775 $775
Regional Adjustment $0
Color Adjustment $0
Total Price $35,751 $37,780 $36,111

If you then remove $3750 in rebates: $32001 $34030 $32361

So I would think you'd end up between $32001 and $32361 (plus tax, tag, title) Out the Door, or between $34001 and $34361 if you took the financing instead of the $2000 rebate. The $37,541 number you mentioned looks VERY high to me (unless you've got something like a 9 % tax rate !!).

What's the Friends and Family price? Is it above or below invoice ($32001)?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The site I was told to go to for 'Friends and Family' pricing was the link below.

http://prod3.gmautobuilder.com/BuildYourOwn/GMFamilyFirst.byo?priceformula=CO

2LT FWD Base (MSRP: $35,220) (Supplier: $34,040)

Personal Connectivity Package
Trailering Equipment
Heated Front Seats
Rear Entertainment w/ dual headrests

With all Options (MSRP: $38,345) (Supplier: $36,816)
After $1,500 incentives (MSRP: $36,845) (Supplier: $35,316)

So $35,316 is the price before tax that I should be getting. We are taking the 0% instead of the $2,000 back.

At 6.75% sales tax it should come to $37,699.

So after looking at Edmunds their price is lower for MSRP. Starting to wonder what sort of "deal" I'm getting.

·
Registered
48 Posts
OK. TrueCar must be the hot buzzword now for pricing on new cars. Never heard of it ... but I just went there, built the 2011 Equinox I recently purchased, and got their pricing.

Guess what? It's the same as Edmunds. And it's the same because the information is coming from the same source: GM. All these online buying services are nothing more than propaganda from the manufacturers used to precondition us on our pricing offers. They publish a bogus invoice number and that sets the bottom line purchase price that no dealer ever has to worry about dipping below. And even if the dealer sells right at invoice (which he almost NEVER will), he's still guaranteed a healthy profit because the numbers aren't real. Not too long ago, the difference between Invoice and MSRP on a $22,000 car was around $2500. Now it's around $1200! Maybe 10 years from now it'll be $600. See the trend? Eventually we'll all be paying full sticker price - which is EXACTLY what GM tried to do with Saturn (but it didn't go too well, did it)? But if they use the online propaganda to slowly ramp up the cost numbers over a longer period of time, they can achieve the same result (with a more lasting effect).

But back to my Equinox purchase: My MSRP was $26,815. Edmunds said the Invoice+Destination = $25,361. TrueCar says a "Great Price" is less than $26065, a "Good Price" is less than $26531, and "Above Market" is $26532 or more. Their "Best Local Great Price" is $25382 (just $21 off the Edmunds "rock-bottom" invoice price).

I made offers of $25,400 to about 8 dealers. Only one agreed to the price (and only after an upper-level salesperson got involved). Another was a few hundred more, and the rest either wouldn't give a number or were over $26,000. I ended up finding an identical unit much closer to home at the very last minute (in a color I liked better) and purchased for $25,500 ($20,700 OTD after Loyalty and GM dollars plus tax, tag, and title added in).

Point is: all these sites use the same figures because the data comes from the same place. As far as the claim of $1400 under invoice ... I would think that might be possible on an LTZ because the MSRPs on those units are so ridiculously overpriced (and there's even MORE play in the bogus published invoice numbers). Plus, they probably don't move as well as the mid-priced units do.

Try working a deal on an LS for $1400 under invoice. 'Aint gonna happen because the bogus invoice numbers say it can't, and the units sell well enough anyway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts