Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why the GM incentives suck? Is it because they paid off their bailout money, and sold IPOs they don't need to sell anymore cars? Well a 25% decrease in sales in August goes to show they may want to try.

I was thinking about getting a Traverse, but not with the exception incentives they are offering now. $1500 cash back...really?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just got my 2011 Traverse 2 weeks ago. I got the standard $1500 rebate, another $1500 for owning a Toyota and an extra $1500 for an loyal customer email from Chev. Totally, I got $4500 discount. Sorry, the loyal customer incentive expired on 9/7/2010.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Incentives suck-- because.......

1)GM is making cars at a pace where they dont have cars overflowing on huge lots.
In the past they made tons of cars-- and they sat on lots--- to move them- they had to offer massive discounts.

2)Produce cars at a sensible pace- they sell at a profit. less need for massive discounts--- since when is it BAD for a company to make a profit???

3)People actually LIKE what GM is making.

the MAIN reason there was a drop in sales year to year--- was 1 yr ago-- we had the Cash for Clunkers.

So--- GM wants to sell you a car... and theyre making cars people want...
They are simply trying to not sell you a car-- at a loss.

·
Registered
56 Posts
You usually don't see big incentives for any company at the beginning of a model year... if you do, that means they priced their cars too high.

A lot of GM cars are selling well, so their aren't going to give deep discounts until sales slow.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
and when sales slow down-- they will reduce production- so as not to make too many cars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Points all well taken. All I can say is that I am glad I bought when I did because, having a single family income, I needed every incentive dollar I could get to make the trav affordable relative to what our budget could absorb. I doubt I would have been able to buy my trav any later than I did. Obviously, one could say I should not have pushed the budget - but what can I say - I am just the typical greedy, self-absorbed American consumer typical of these trying economic times :eek:hno:

·
Registered
48 Posts
SDRHC,

How did you get that loyal customer email from Chevy? I haven't seen any loyal customer discounts lately - and I've even asked Chevy if one was available (to which they said 'no'). Typically the loyal customer incentive is offered in January when car sales are slower.

Hold it - I just talked to someone at Chevy and the claim is that there is some "manifest list" that I may be on that would give me a loyalty discount. They wanted all my personal information, but I balked at giving them that because frankly I don't trust that this wouldn't be mass distributed to dealerships in my geographic region who would then 'see me coming'. So I can either ask the dealer to look me up at the time of purchase (the answer, I'm sure, will be that I'm NOT on any such list and therefore NOT eligibile for a loyalty discount), OR I can contact Chevy directly at purchase time and check with them. I think I'll do the latter since who can trust a dealership, right???

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I get emails and snail mail from chevy/GM all the time.

usually offers and bit rebates to the person whose name appears on the document.

I am signed up thru the GM Supplier discount- GM credit union rebate thingy and also- thru the GM owners thing via Chevrolet. (now called mygmlink I think.)
Im pretty sure they send out offers to people who are signed up thru that stuff.

·
Registered
48 Posts
rbarrios,

Thanks! I really appreciate that tip. I DO get the snail mailings from time to time showing my points total and sometimes a bump if my number is low (NEVER when it's high), but I don't think I've ever seen a loyalty rebate mentioned in any month other than January. But maybe if I register like you said it'll cast a bigger net...

Thanks again and maybe I'll be joining the Traverse crowd soon!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts