Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, a lot of us here have owned a Traverse for a few months now. Others are just getting into theirs. So, now I think is a good time to tell GM what improvements they should consider. We all love our Traverses, but there is always something that we wished was tweaked or somewhat different. What's your list?

My list so far:
- Wipers 1, the wiper function should be on a separate stalk on the right side of the steering wheel. The turn signal stalk is to busy.
- Wipers 2, The passenger side wiper swings too far over to the driver side, blocking view before returning. It it stopped 3 to 4 inches earlier it would not miss any water to make a difference and would be less of a hinder to the driver.
- Seats, The seats are made with 2 rails running front to back under the cushion. For those big or heavy enough, the rails can be felt and cause a lot pain to some folks after long trips. There should be a proper flat pan under the cushioning rather than thin rails so to provide proper support.
- The electric door lock on the drivers door should be on the hand rest, not up high on the panel. Buick got it right on the Enclave, why did Chevy mess this up? During high wind days, it would be easier to hold the door and lock it at the same time with one hand rather than either letting the door go to slam into the car parked next to you, or the requirement of two hands to lock a door on egress.
- Tuning of the 6 speed transmission needs work. It often shifts wrong or jerky.
- A true proper USB port on the audio system for any MP3 player or USB flash disk. Not on the dash! Inside the console like Ford did.
- The touch screen radio is great, but could use some modernization on control features. It's kind of a bother to have to move between the touch screen and hard buttons to get some things done, when it could all be on-screen. Not that the hard buttons are bad, but this little touch just makes more sense and improves the experience and flow of usage.
- Re-examine storage all around. Honda's making everyone else look like newbies to interior space usage, for example.

I think these are small issues, but if considered would make the Traverse that much more enjoyable.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Narg said:
Others are just getting into theirs.
That would be me or almost me. I was hoping it would be delivered by Easter but it isnt going to happen...maybe by the end of April or early May.

Narg said:
My list so far:
I am impressed that you have noticed these details. Well analyzed.

Just idly wondering how many of these suggestions will be incorporated into the 2010s?

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My experience with GM is they sometimes do listen. But usually don't bother with many things. Then again...

I have one cool cool story about how GM does in fact listen. My wife and I bought a Chevy HHR when they were brand new to the market. I joined into a forum much like this one, and the users there also talked deeply about their likes and dislikes of that vehicle. One that I started was about the small LED light in the headliner that shines down onto the center console at night. In our HHR the hole where the light is has a shiny surface on it's sides. This causes the light to reflect and glare at the driver. Didn't bug me too much, but did my wife and a lot of other HHR owners. I suggested to GM via that forum that they paint the "barrel" black so the light shines down but doesn't reflect off the sides into the driver's and passenger's eyes. I hand painted the hole in our HHR black and it worked very nicely. Now, if you check the location where that light is on the Traverse, the "hole" (it's now square though) has black plastic sides to reduce glare. That shows me GM does listen. So, when you get your Traverse be sure to voice anything you see could be improved. It just might make a difference on your future purchase.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Narg said:
So, when you get your Traverse be sure to voice anything you see could be improved. It just might make a difference on your future purchase.
I figure the Canadian bound Traverse has your improvements already incorporated ;).

·
Registered
74 Posts
My List:

- I add to the seat cushion issue by having cloth seats that aren't so rigid, don't itch the crap out of you, and make your legs numb after a while. (I would have gotten leather if I could have afforded it at the time).
- fix the dome light button to be something that looks like a real button
- rear wiper needs more than just on with delay, and spray
- I would rather see a real time number for instant fuel economy in the DIC rather than a progress bar thing that tells me nothing quantitatively.

Edit:
- Oh, and at some point, car manufacturers should start shipping HD Radios in their vehicles. It's been around long enough, and has enough content that it is worth it to have it.

That's pretty much it for me.

- Joe

·
Registered
70 Posts
My list:
1. A delay for the rear windshield wipers,
2. A proper coin holder
3. A proper mat that can be folded with the rear seats down
4. Fog/Driving lights

Thats all I can think of

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great ideas guys.

Some added thoughts on my part

- I too would like to see a momentary switch for the rear wiper. Maybe an inward press on the toggle for a single wipe.
- coin holder is a big miss
- That back mat is a weird one
- Fog lights would be a plus for sure.
- Joe, I have the leather. Not impressed with cushions there either. Overall the seats need attention.
- On the first day I had my traverse, the dealership left the dome light off. I suffered through dark egressing until the light of the next day allowed me to find the button. Personally, I like it, but it was a chore to find it initially.
- How about a number plus the gauge for fuel economy?

Copperbeach, first year vehicles always suffer the lack of afterthought improvements. We have a first year HHR too. Drove a newer one recently, and swooned at the improvements made. Oh well...

Some added thoughts on my stuff.

- I'm thinking if they wanted to follow the Malibu styling, why didn't it continue inside too? Why don't they put the key hole on the dash rather than the steering stalk? Then there'd be room for a proper wiper control on that side...
- I'm becoming less concerned with the transmission. It did just hit me that this is a 3 ton vehicle after all, and not a sports car. Sure looks sporty though...

- I really do like the sliding center console storage access, but it just seems to scream for improvement. Any thoughts there guys and gals?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Narg said:
Copperbeach, first year vehicles always suffer the lack of afterthought improvements. We have a first year HHR too. Drove a newer one recently, and swooned at the improvements made. Oh well...
I just figured that 'half of the car' ie transmission and engine was already taken care of i.e. same as other previously established Lambda platforms (Acadia and Outlook and Enclave). So with the 'guts' taken care of Chevy could really focus on the rest of the car and so resulting in fewer initial year design omissions or mistakes. Heck maybe the list we are establishing consists of relatively minor items anyways.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I too agree that all Lambdas need the key to be on the dash.  I find the column ingnition hard to use, without really looking right at it.  The Traverse has many of the same features as my Enclave, but some of the mentioned gripes are addressed already with the Enclave, and some with the Acadia. (fog lights, coin tray, delay rear wiper (someone mentioned Traverse doesn't have it?), door power lock on the armrest, softer cloth (our CX Enclave's cloth seats are much different than Traverse, Acadia and Outlook)

Now, here's my list that pertains to all Lambdas:

Better manual lumbar lever front seats (hard to use)
Better recline lever front seats, with front power seats (hard to find while driving)
Addaptive cruise control (none have it yet)
Full gauges
Remote start without having to push lock first on the remote. (if the vehicle is already locked, it should only need the one button push and held) AND that should be a stand alone option on all Lambdas
All Lambdas should have dual exhaust, it's silly to have to get the LTZ Traverse or the XR Outlook for that.
You should be able to get cloth seats on any trim level

·
Registered
417 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Great list 09Enclave! I am jealous about the door lock thingy :thumb:

Addaptive cruise control? That's a new concept for me, can you give us details? Links?
What gauges do you think are missing and would be helpful? (p.s. in general I'd like to see more dash items. GM seems to use the "less is more" concept a little too much...)
Any improvements in the seat = all good :thumb:
I'll disagree on the remote start. Two button method I think it's a good thing to keep you from accidentally starting too (keys in pocket or purse, miss-pressed from sitting leaning etc etc...)
Dual exhaust option I too think is a must, at least on LT2 and maybe LT1.
Odd thing is, you can get cloth on LT2, but try to find one... Dealers just don't order them that way :(

·
Registered
407 Posts
Adaptive cruise control, or similar name, is what is used on some luxury vehicles...what happens is, when a vehicle pulls out in front of you while you have the cruise on, it automatically slows you down, and creates distance between you and the vehicle in front, until the other vehicle goes back in it's lane, for example, and then will resume the set speed.  (that's how it's supposed to work anyway, I don't know any other details, nor have ever used one before).  I don't have any links, but I know the new Lincoln MKT that's coming out soon will have it, they say. And gauges...I would want oil press. , and perhaps tranny temp. if anyone is doing towing. I guess I'm glad the Lambdas have voltmeter, usually other vehicles only have temp. and fuel, along with the speedo and tach.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Narg said:
So, when you get your Traverse be sure to voice anything you see could be improved. It just might make a difference on your future purchase.
Well given that the window is soon to close on placing a factory order for an 09 maybe people who still haven't pulled the trigger on such a big purchase (like DuayneD) should hold off till the 'new and improved' 2010 Traverse appears? Some of these improvement observations could easily be implemented in the second model year.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I don't want to be a downer, but I wouldn't expect much, if any changes for the 2010 Traverse, or other Lambdas. They came out in 2007 (Outlook, then Acadia) and 2008 (Enclave). The major updates came in 2009, but with the Enclave, that was only the 2nd year, and it looked like they did a bunch for the 2nd model year, but in reality it was the 3rd model year (Lambda as a whole). Then the Traverse has all the current upgrades in it's first year. Make sense? Possibly an added color, or deleted color, and maybe a little tweaking with option packages, but other than that... I wouldn't get too excited over the 2010. Hopefully they will prove me wrong, that would be cool to see changes every year, but it's not how things have been done for the last 15 years or more.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I just thought 09Enclave that incorporating some of the suggestions listed in this thread wouldnt be considered a major overhaul of this first year model.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I guess the Traverse is uniquely different than the Outlook. Some the things mentioned I have.
Fog lights
Door lock on bottom of handle (although that is what you have a key fob for is locking the doors after out. I rarely use the one on the door)
I have the leather seats with the auto lumbar, and adjusting. I am 330 plus and no comfort problems at all, that's why I got mine.
Coin holder (making this a parts purchase is stupid for you guys)
All guages and DIC (althoug I would like to have the real time MPG like my wifes Aura has which is in addition to the regular AMPG)

Keep in mind that the Traverse was designed to be the entry level of the Lambdas and would not have alot of the pre-existing features. I am not an expert on the Traverse but I would imagine that there has to be a package deal that gets you alot of these features.

·
Registered
407 Posts
khansen30 said:
I guess the Traverse is uniquely different than the Outlook. Some the things mentioned I have.
Fog lights
Door lock on bottom of handle (although that is what you have a key fob for is locking the doors after out. I rarely use the one on the door)
I have the leather seats with the auto lumbar, and adjusting. I am 330 plus and no comfort problems at all, that's why I got mine.
Coin holder (making this a parts purchase is stupid for you guys)
All guages and DIC (althoug I would like to have the real time MPG like my wifes Aura has which is in addition to the regular AMPG)

Keep in mind that the Traverse was designed to be the entry level of the Lambdas and would not have alot of the pre-existing features. I am not an expert on the Traverse but I would imagine that there has to be a package deal that gets you alot of these features.
Bingo! Funny enough, I actually think the Traverse is not base enough. What I'd like to see, and this is not for me....but for families that just need basic transportation, like the Venture/Uplander achieved, is a Traverse "value" package that would be no power locks, no power windows, column shift with either a front bench for 9 passenger capability, or no console so people could walk between the seats to the rear, like in a mini-van. The price would be about $25,000 to $27,000. I suppose there are other items that could be deleted to bring the price down even further. And, allow the power locks and windows to be added as a stand alone option. I agree that the Traverse is as good as the other Lambdas when in LTZ trim, for sure. But, I think it could be made more entry level, and still achieve a nice vehicle, that would be better than any mini-van.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Our garage entrance is just inch or 2 wider than the Traverse. So my wife wants:

1. Powered side-mirrors (that can fold up with press of a button).

I want:

2. Overhead center console
3. Full DIC on all trim levels (I don't see how the enhanced DIC w/real time MPG adding to cost)

·
Registered
161 Posts
09Enclave said:
Bingo! Funny enough, I actually think the Traverse is not base enough. What I'd like to see, and this is not for me.... is a Traverse "value" package that would be no power locks, no power windows, column shift with either a front bench for 9 passenger capability... price would be about $25,000 to $27,000. ... I agree that the Traverse is as good as the other Lambdas when in LTZ trim, for sure. But, I think it could be made more entry level, and still achieve a nice vehicle, that would be better than any mini-van.
Double bingo! 09Enclave -- I'll second your notion.
I also think GM missed a prime "family value" marketing niche with the Traverse (though they didn't miss by much, I'll grant that.)
Hardly anyone wants the base LS -- see how few people on this board have bought one?
And not because anything's wrong with it -- it has the style, smooth ride, handling, room and top-line safety.
It just has little intrinsic value, because, priced significantly above $25,000, it's too high to lure mass-market buyers of minivans, especially in this economy.

Taking 09Enclave's suggestions, GM could/should have easily positioned the base Traverse as the growing-young-family vehicle the way Chrysler did with the minivan in the 70s. And I think the entry-level MSRP should have been much closer to $21,000-$23,000 tops! After all, hasn't
That move would also distinguish it much more from the huge herd of crossovers already stampeding through the marketplace.

For a bit more coin, you step up to the 1LT, which feels like you're really getting something for spending extra. (I give GM props for that.) Woulda been nice if 1LT was priced more around $27-$28K, though, or at least give us AWD standard. I mean, if Subaru can do it, c'mon GM!

The 2LT, not so much. Gotta buy too many options AFTER spending more in the first place to make it your own pride and joy.
So, instead of a $45,000+ LTZ top trim, the 2LT should have been pimped up as the top level, with AWD standard, leather standard, at least 1 sunroof, etc., with only a few more options and not go over $40,000.
This is a Chevy, after all, not an Acura wannabe.

OK, I'm exhausted. Gotta go rest.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Very true, DuayneD. The problem with how Chevy (and most GM vehicles) is that they force you into the upper trim level. On the Traverse, there's only one color option for the interior for the LS. (not true on the Buick, which is why we went with the Enclave). Why can't they have a base vehicle that is stripped of everything, and allow the buyer to opt for exactly what they want? (well, I guess they've tried to streamline things, and probably not easy to do what they did in the 70's for customer orders, I guess I can understand that)...but my dream would be to pick a vehicle, and yes...have different trim "levels" to make some ease in ordering. However, allow all the color choices, all the wheel choices, and all the options, including dual exhaust. I think you would see a bunch of LS"s running around with some of the LTZ's options, but much happier customers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I agree, If we could have got an LS with the options we wanted we would have. I beleive that all manufactures should allow the customers to at least have a dual exhaust option and they should have included driving/fog lights. Now I need to figure how where to place mine and then make them look good. I know this is not the 70's anymore and the customer being able to go into the showroom and just check order blocks (at random) are gone for ever.

Just my 2cents.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts