Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having mileage problems with my front wheel drive traverse which I described in a prior post.

I took my car to three Chevrolet garages to have it checked and their computer techs (they really are not mechanics anymore!) told me there was nothing wrong with my car and that 17.7 on the highway was just fine mileage...BS!!

After talking with an old experienced mechanic he told me that the trouble could be the traction control switch and that I needed to reset it...he had noting but disdain for this particular feature.

I got my car up to speed, set the cruise and did 6 sets of disengaging and reengaging the traction control and it fixed my problem.

I just got back from a trip to the airport, 125 miles with cruise set at 58 and got 27.1 MPG...amazing!!

Please, try this on your car and report back...this could be the fix to your problems too!

·
Registered
113 Posts
What you are saying sounds like BS....
JMHO

·
Registered
860 Posts
Easy Medman.

I think this is good info and it can't hurt anything to try. There is the potential that this is a real issue, but not very widespread.

I'll give it a shot, but I did get 21.5 on a 125 mile round-trip this morning at 75-78 MPH in a pretty strong cross-wind. And I've only got 2200 miles on the car. I'd say break-in is going just fine.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
Easy Medman.

I think this is good info and it can't hurt anything to try. There is the potential that this is a real issue, but not very widespread.

I'll give it a shot, but I did get 21.5 on a 125 mile round-trip this morning at 75-78 MPH in a pretty strong cross-wind. And I've only got 2200 miles on the car. I'd say break-in is going just fine.
Was that after flipping this button?? Just sounds far fetched....
Again...JMO

Medman :beer:

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
did the mechanic tell you to do 6 sets of engaging on/off of the traction control?

Hmmm this is interesting....
If it gets you more mileage and others report the same.. then cool....

Im not going to try it- as I get good highway mileage as it is... (24 MPG).

Im trying to think what traction control may do--- that decreased the MPG...

maybe it kept 'retarding' engine speed and thus you keep accelerating to get back up to speed?
In that case-- maybe its falsely getting a signal that wheel slippage is occuring....

did you ever see the Trac-control light illuminate on the dash?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The mechanic simply told me to reset the traction control by turning it on and off...I decided to do it multiple times just to make certain it reset. He told me that the traction control sends power and applies brakes to different wheels thus the drag on mileage.

I am not trying to start arguments or post BS as another poster claimed...I am trying to help fellow Traverse owners who are having troubles.

Anyone who is foolish enough not to give this a try is beyond help!

·
Registered
860 Posts
As I said before, this could be a real issue. Possible? Yes. Common? Not likely.

I've seen alot of funny stuff in the 25+ years I've been driving and working on cars. The more technologically advanced automobiles get, the more problems (even the not-so-believable) that can develop. Toyota Prius anyone?

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
medman said:
What you are saying sounds like BS....
JMHO
27 mpg sounds real suspicious, no matter what switch he was flippin' around.

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) I can believe the traction control could cause drag and why would you not try this if you had a sudden drop in gas mileage? Heck I have had several 4 wheel drives and had one stick in 4 wheel before so I could believe if you use the traction control there is always a possibility of the thing sticking. I know I would try it don’t think it could hurt.

8) Steve

·
Registered
113 Posts
marcopostal said:
The mechanic simply told me to reset the traction control by turning it on and off...I decided to do it multiple times just to make certain it reset. He told me that the traction control sends power and applies brakes to different wheels thus the drag on mileage.

I am not trying to start arguments or post BS as another poster claimed...I am trying to help fellow Traverse owners who are having troubles.

Anyone who is foolish enough not to give this a try is beyond help!
Hey Marco

I apologize...that may have actually looked like a flame against you...believe me, it was not intended to be...

Having said that, I was just saying that it seems kinda strange that something like that could be true...however, I will also try it....I just havent had good history with a few mechanics, and I figure that if the traction control was functioning (being called upon) it would flash the light on the dash....I have only seen it once, and that was my own doing by stepping on the gas in some snow...it flashed momentarily as expected...

But like I said...I can see where you would have thought I was on to you....and sorry for that...i wasnt....

Thanks for the info.

Medman :beer: Cheers :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problem...I have just gotten a bit testy with my whole experience with Chevrolet and was elated to have found the answer to my problem after three dealers were unable to find the issue. I have no idea how many other Traverses have this issue but I don't think it is 100% isolated. I see lots and lots of posts about poor gas mileage!

The whole story, shortened version, was I got stuck in a snow drift Christmas day and had to disengage the traction control and rock the car out. My mileage went from 24 to 18 at about 68 and I can trace it to that event. After three garages used their diagnostic equipment they found nothing. Trouble was, I knew my car...I ordered it from the factory Oct 2009 and have been driving it since Dec 2009 and it has now just passed 11k miles. Last winter I took 2 trips over 500 miles one way and got right around 24 MPG driving around 68. I knew it had nothing to do with gas blends etc. as I have a history and know my car. This is my 8th new Chevrolet ( in addition to the dozen or so used ones over the years) and I come from a Chevy family...my mom worked as an office manager at Don Hutson Chevy in Racine, WI for 30 years! I know Chevrolet and I get to know my cars well so if something changes I know it and GM customer "service" insultingly told me it was just gas blends and worse, just my imagination.

Well, it is not my imagination! Last week I re-set my computer for my trip to the airport and set the cruise at 58. After about 15 miles I clearly had my normal mileage of about 20 before I re-set the traction control by turning it on and off. After I did that mileage started to climb quickly and by the time I arrived at my destination I had AN ASTOUDING 27.1. My wife has been driving it city all week and we still have 24!

I think it is clearly possible that since the factory default is to engage the traction control device every time the engine is started some owners have never touched the button and it has never been turned on and off. If it is faulty. it has never been given the opportunity to re-set. I just hope and pray that my response and experience can help some owners achieve the mileage that I have because we love our Traverse!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Did you tell the Chevy garages the mileage dropped after you got stuck. I can tell you they can not fix something that is not broken, before everyone get all ruffled they have to be able to prove the problem in order to get the repair paid for by GM. I know many won't believe it but, the dealers are not getting rich off of the sale of new cars today, so they need to be re-payed for warranty work. I have talked to our techs and service writers and mileage complaints are not fun because you don't get paid if they can't find a problem. The mileage rating are tested by the federal government and are greatly affected by each individual driver.

If this is really a solution to the low mileage some of us have experienced than that would be something that GM most likely put into a service bulletin for future reference.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yes, I explained the entire story to my local garage and then talked with Chevrolet customer service who referred me to the other two dealerships for a second and third opinion. I explained that it was not just a gripe about mileage, it was a gripe about a CHANGE in mileage. Sad to say, 2 of the 3 dealerships will lose their franchise in October including my local Chevy garage...my nearest warranty service will now be about 100 miles away!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
danthechevyman said:
Did you tell the Chevy garages the mileage dropped after you got stuck. I can tell you they can not fix something that is not broken, before everyone get all ruffled they have to be able to prove the problem in order to get the repair paid for by GM. I know many won't believe it but, the dealers are not getting rich off of the sale of new cars today, so they need to be re-payed for warranty work. I have talked to our techs and service writers and mileage complaints are not fun because you don't get paid if they can't find a problem. The mileage rating are tested by the federal government and are greatly affected by each individual driver.

If this is really a solution to the low mileage some of us have experienced than that would be something that GM most likely put into a service bulletin for future reference.
Good and accurate comments, hit the nail on the head.

Thanks, Bob

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think I'm missing the entire point here.

What is "sticking" with the traction control?

If the traction control is recommended to be positioned in the "on" position while driving, the "drag" or whatever would always be present, since the traction control is running in the "on" or "activated" position.

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe that the traction control sensor was stuck half on or half off...not knowing the engineering details of the system it is impossible to know. It could be a faulty switch, relay, sensor or computer chip. Now that I know what caused the problem I have an appointment next week for my local dealership to analyze the system.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was driving on the highway today, at about 60 MPH, and reset the average mileage readout on the DIC. I reset the traction control a few times too. I have no idea if it made a difference, but the average mileage I was getting for the next twenty minutes was about 27 MPH. Of course, when I got off the highway it went down, but on the highway it can read 27MPH.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gibby said:
I was driving on the highway today, at about 60 MPH, and reset the average mileage readout on the DIC. I reset the traction control a few times too. I have no idea if it made a difference, but the average mileage I was getting for the next twenty minutes was about 27 MPH. Of course, when I got off the highway it went down, but on the highway it can read 27MPH.
What are the comparable number if you reset the mileage on the DIC but don't touch the traction control switch?

Keops

·
Registered
860 Posts
First, my apologies to Medman for fending off what appeared to be a flame-job.

You raise an interesting question Keops, but now we're talking about trying to duplicate the conditions in which the 27 MPG occurred. Other factors that cannot be controlled now may be the most important pieces of the puzzle. Was this a downhill stretch of road? It might look flat, but was it really? Was there any tail-wind? What was the air pressure in the tires? The only way to come close to a solid conclusion would be to drive that section of road both ways (once up, once back), get an average, then find your way back ASAP and do it again with the traction control enabled.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Toddzilla67 said:
First, my apologies to Medman for fending off what appeared to be a flame-job.
Hey, no problem....like I said, afterwards looking at that, I would have thought the same thing....and makes me think and reread everything I type before pulling the trigger on the mouse.... :)

Anyway...this thread is getting really interesting though....I have yet to try it...it's been pouring rain here for 4 days and didn't want to start playing with the traction button till it dries up...which is looking like it will be tomorrow!!!

Medman :beer:

1 - 20 of 87 Posts