Traverse Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Search didn't show any previous posts for this. There were some (one?) about the key getting stuck in the switch. The problem first started around a month ago. Just a slight hangup as the key was turned, very infrequently. Rock it back, then try again and it would work. Earlier this week, I had major trouble, with it taking a couple minutes to get the key to finally turn. Tried rocking the steering wheel back and forth and making sure the shift lever was all the way in park. Then tried pulling the rubber plug below the switch and inserting another key, no luck there, either. When I called the dealership for an appointment, they suggested switching keys with my wife to see if it was a key problem. It appears not, as I had another couple minute "fiddle with the key" episode today. Working with the dealership to arrange a loaner because it will probably have to stay over night. My first real problem with my Traverse. :(

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
A little WD-40 didnt help?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn't try any. The service department didn't suggest that, either. I'm wondering if I should. They haven't called back yet, so I'll mention it when I call them. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
WD-40 shouldnt affect electronics.
It will displace water on electronics... (thats where WD comes from.. Water Displacement test #40 I believe).

But thats what I would try if I didnt want to leave keys in the car in some funny locale.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
You have a 2010 just go in a and insist they change the ignition lock cylinder. It's out of alignment somewhere.

If you let these car dealerships push you around you will get nothing fixed.

A

·
0 Posts
Any previous power issues? I wonder if the key is not transponding with the BCM correctly..............then again it could be mechanical and the cylinder is out of alignment

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
BigBlueTraverse said:
You have a 2010 just go in a and insist they change the ignition lock cylinder. It's out of alignment somewhere.

If you let these car dealerships push you around you will get nothing fixed.
If they change the lock- make sure the new key works on the glove box.
I dont know if the glove box lock is a dummy lock (any key) or if its specific to your key.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas, guys. The key isn't stuck in the lock, it'll come right out. It doesn't feel like it's a problem with the key communicating with the car, but...

It works just fine many times after I finally get it to turn, so I imagine it's within the switch, an alignment problem that comes and goes. I can hear it now, " I'm sorry, but we couldn't get it to do it for us". I won't do any insisting right off the bat, and hope it won't come to that. I'll ask about the glove box, too.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The dealership has it, so I should know something today.

·
Registered
407 Posts
odypilots said:
Search didn't show any previous posts for this. There were some (one?) about the key getting stuck in the switch. The problem first started around a month ago. Just a slight hangup as the key was turned, very infrequently. Rock it back, then try again and it would work. Earlier this week, I had major trouble, with it taking a couple minutes to get the key to finally turn. Tried rocking the steering wheel back and forth and making sure the shift lever was all the way in park. Then tried pulling the rubber plug below the switch and inserting another key, no luck there, either. [/color] When I called the dealership for an appointment, they suggested switching keys with my wife to see if it was a key problem. It appears not, as I had another couple minute "fiddle with the key" episode today. Working with the dealership to arrange a loaner because it will probably have to stay over night. My first real problem with my Traverse. :(
Don't understand what you mean about putting another key where the rubber plug is, explain that. Were you just trying to free the lock cylinder, or is there another place to put a key to free up the cylinder?

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
in the area below the ignition lock-- there is a rubber cap...

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
09Enclave said:
Don't understand what you mean about putting another key where the rubber plug is, explain that. Were you just trying to free the lock cylinder, or is there another place to put a key to free up the cylinder?
Trying to free up the cylinder. I haven't read anything about what the plug is for, just was giving it a try. Our 98 Grand Prix had a release for the console shifter is what gave me the idea. The dealership called and said they replaced the ignition lock cylinder. The shuttle service is on their way, fingers are crossed that it takes care of it.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
what about the glove box lock?

on my traverse- I tried my OEM key... locked the lock...
then I tried my Impalas key--- did not turn the lock. (thought both keys dont go in all the way- only about halfway)

does your new lock have a new key? or was the lock keyed to you key...
Cause you know--- that ignition key also opens your door.

let us know.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rbarrios said:
what about the glove box lock?

on my traverse- I tried my OEM key... locked the lock...
then I tried my Impalas key--- did not turn the lock. (thought both keys dont go in all the way- only about halfway)

does your new lock have a new key? or was the lock keyed to you key...
Cause you know--- that ignition key also opens your door.

let us know.
All the locks work off the same key, and they didn't issue a new key for my wife, so they must have set the ignition to my existing key. For the heck of it, I tried our G6 key in the Traverse's glove box and it didn't work. Every thing's working fine, so time will tell. The work order said the ignition lock cylinder was binding, replaced.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
good to hear!.
Hope that was the problem.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks, and me, too!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
When a lock cylinder is replaced on a vehicle, they code the new lock to the existing locks. They should not vary from that required GM procedure.

bob

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Cool-- thanks for that info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2009 traverse with the same issue. Key in but sometimes wont turn. We have ended up just leaving the key in and not totally turning it to the off position. Wife is getting sick of doing that. Ive heard the the tumbler has drops that settle into the key when you put it in and sometimes those go bad.
I was thinking maybe it was a worn out key which would be the cheapest start to figure out the problem. Dealership here can make me a new key if I supply
them with VIN # and my title and a few other things to prove im the owner. Takes only minutes for them to do if that's my problem. It was 39.95 to cut a new key plus 40.00 to look up the key for my car using the VIN number.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts