Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...test drove a traverse yesterday and when i parked it, i couldnt locate the handbreak :banghead:. Where is it located?

·
Registered
718 Posts
Under the dash on the lower left side. You need to push it in with your foot. To release it you push it again.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I had the same experience too! Do all Chevrolet cars have it the same way? I am new to American cars. Since I arrived here, I have vowed to patronize American cars. My little way of helping Uncle Sam.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Are you used to driving a car? Most cars have hand brakes next to the shifter. Most SUV's have a foot brake to the left of the brake and gas. As stated push it in to engage, push again to disengage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tiestosteele said:
Are you used to driving a car?

Yes. This will be my first SUV.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
My Trailblazer has the handbreak in the center console..

·
Registered
48 Posts
IMO, all vehicles should have the parking brake located in the center console. I know it complicates things a bit with all the other stuff already there, but you can easily pull it up if you need to in an emergency. There's no way this can be done with the underdash foot pedals. This is strictly a parking brake ... that is never used.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Colt Hero said:
IMO, all vehicles should have the parking brake located in the center console. I know it complicates things a bit with all the other stuff already there, but you can easily pull it up if you need to in an emergency. There's no way this can be done with the underdash foot pedals. This is strictly a parking brake ... that is never used.
x Agreed.

rbarrios said:
My Trailblazer has the handbreak in the center console..
like I said *most suv's*!!

·
Registered
277 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
like I said *most suv's*!!
Had a Hyundai Santa Fe before the Traverse. It did not have a foot brake either. I had an Impala loaner car which had the foot brake. So, I thought that it may be a Chevrolet thing.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have had numerous vehicles through the years with manual transmissions (and still own one.). I've always set the hand break or, if applicable on older models, the foot "emergency" brake on manual transmission cars and have never made it a practice to set it on automatic transmission cars unless I'm parked on a significant incline.

Anyone else use these same practices?

A

·
0 Posts
andylibby said:
I have had numerous vehicles through the years with manual transmissions (and still own one.). I've always set the hand break or, if applicable on older models, the foot "emergency" brake on manual transmission cars and have never made it a practice to set it on automatic transmission cars unless I'm parked on a significant incline.

Anyone else use these same practices?
I do the same thing; I only use the parking brake if parked on a significant incline

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I use it only when parked on inclines to prevent the weight of the Traverse resting on the transmission.

I almost always use it when I park somewhere with the trailer. With that much weight, I don't want to take a chance that I don't notice a slight incline and then the whole combo rolls forward or back and rests on that little pin that holds the vehicle from rolling way!

·
Registered
718 Posts
I use it at least a few times a week on both of our vehicles. Especially here where they use a lot of salt in the winter, I don't want it seizing on me from non-use.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Don't know if it's an issue with the Traverse, but on my old Dodge minivan, the transmission died a very premature death. Online search and discussion with my mechanic found that it was a common problem for people who parked on hills without using the parking brake. Apparently, it stresses the gears in ways that they're not supposed to be stressed, even if the slope of the hill is minor. Since then, I always use the parking brake, even when I park in the garage. Just a good habit to get into, IMHO. (You have to remember to put the parking brake on BEFORE you let off on the regular brake, otherwise, the transmission still gets hammered).

A

·
0 Posts
Matno said:
(You have to remember to put the parking brake on BEFORE you let off on the regular brake, otherwise, the transmission still gets hammered).
Good point :thumb:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with ANDYLIBBY..
The parking brake is not very useful in an emergency and hardly used unless parking on an incline.
a better outfit would to have install a hand brake next to the center console and the drivers seat IMO.

·
Registered
193 Posts
highroller1700 said:
a better outfit would to have install a hand brake next to the center console and the drivers seat IMO.
Agreed. Especially with an AWD Traverse. How else are you going to be able to slide around corners in the snow?! With the foot brake, it just doesn't give you enough control to have real "fun" when the going gets slippery...
>:D

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
Matno said:
Agreed. Especially with an AWD Traverse. How else are you going to be able to slide around corners in the snow?! With the foot brake, it just doesn't give you enough control to have real "fun" when the going gets slippery...
>:D
No, you just need to practice more. It can be done, and I have had the tires, or lack there of to proove it on my GTP grand prix. :happy:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts