Traverse Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just LOVE using my cargo rack.
One of the best useful items Ive bought in a long time- and I highly recommend you get one if you have a tow hitch that you dont tow with.

Time to plant the WINTER flowers/plants. (yes- flowers do grow during 'winter' around here).
It had rained overnight- and the bags of manure I got were wet. And wet manure smells quite strong.
No way I was impregnating manure scent in the inside of the Traverse....
Rack to the rescue.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Look very nice, where did you get it from?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've seen those before...Really nice!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I just picked one up but have it in the rafters have not needed it yet and I really bought it to add to the back of my camper to haul the stuff you don't want in side IE the stinky generator...

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They sell this particular one at Harbor Freight. Usually around $75... but can be found on sale for a little less.
You can opt to leave off the part that sticks up (where I have the bunjees attached to).

few yrs ago- day before a long 1600 miles trip (1 way)---I was looking all over the place for one as I had excess baggage on a trip to Mexico- no one had them- sears, auto parts, walmart etc- couldnt find one. I called a buddy and asked-- do you have ANY idea who sells the racks?
He said- I have one leaning on the side of the garage taking up space- $30 bucks if you want it- I only used it once to carry firewood on a camping trip).
-----Screeching Tires heard------ I picked it up- as it was PERFECT. Best $30 Ive spent in a long time.
A little dirty from sitting next to the garage- But It worked and carried the load I had.
During those 1600 miles I realized that the load I had that time- partially blocked my taillights (on my Trailblazer) from certain angles... so I decided to add LED turn signals the following year.
heres the how to I made for that.
http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=627.0

this was me in the Sonoran Desert the 1st time I used that rack... as you can see-- I had lots of extra baggage. (the inside was already full).

On subsequent trips I had cargo- What I did was took the innerdimensions of the rack- and went to a local Box City 2000 store. Nothing but cardboard boxes are sold at this store. I told the man there what I wanted to do- the dimensions of the rack- and off the top of his head he walked over to a set of boxes and said-- try these... OH MAN- PERFECT Fit. I could stand 3 boxes up side by side and they fit perfectly in the rack.... as shown here.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
oh yeah--- I took alot of food/supplies to my grandmother. (rice,cereals, soups,easy prep food, Ensure drinks, laundry soap etc).
Note how low the rear end is (especially the muffler being close to the ground)... But- yeah- took about a year to go through her supplies.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thanks for the information. Marked, sure will get one when needed.

·
Registered
39 Posts
rival22 said:
Harbor Freight Tools has an aluminum one that I keep looking at, but haven't bought yet....

I've seen it as low as $69, and it has very good review.
Just bought the above rack from Harbor Freight. In my area (Ohio) there is a coupon for it, $59.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you bought the aluminum one? you plan on adding lights?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bought the rack in anticipation of a trip next year. Most likely will not be stacking things too high so no plans on buying lights. :cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
coreseller said:
I bought the rack in anticipation of a trip next year. Most likely will not be stacking things too high so no plans on buying lights. :cheers:
I haven't actually checked the measurements yet, but it looks narrower than some I've seen, so it might not even block the tail lights at all. I know it has a couple reflectors, but might not be a bad idea to get some of that reflective tape.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah- it appears that the lights are higher on the Traverse than they were on the Trailblazer.. and I dont see the lights getting blocked...
Then again I can already see the scenario of a driver behind me--- Well the rack is so low I didnt see it....

As for the reflective tape--- that is also for safety--- someone is expecting the car to end at the bumper-- but the tape lets them know- hopefully- that something is there. (expecially with a small load in the dark).
the reflective tape is available at Wal Mart in the auto section where the RV stuff is at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts