Traverse Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed a "hydraulic / winding" sound when getting out of their 2018? The sounds appears to be coming from the rear axle of the vehicle. It doesn't do it every time, however I have noticed it on multiple occasions. It doesn't sound like something is wrong, I just wondered what it was...hopefully someone here with a little more technical know-how has some insight.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Has anyone noticed a "hydraulic / winding" sound when getting out of their 2018? The sounds appears to be coming from the rear axle of the vehicle. It doesn't do it every time, however I have noticed it on multiple occasions. It doesn't sound like something is wrong, I just wondered what it was...hopefully someone here with a little more technical know-how has some insight.

I can't speak to the Traverse in particular as I don't have one yet. But our Lexus makes a similar noise which I understand is the fuel pump doing whatever they do.

Could that be the case with the Traverse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
431 Posts
A fuel pump priming when opening the door is one thing, not sure about the fuel pump running when exiting though.

We used to have a VW Tiguan with a electronic parking brake, like the Traverse, and it would randomly cycle it when exiting so it would never seize up....I'm not sure if the Traverse does this too though

Or it could a coolant pump running after shut down (for the Turbo?)

·
Registered
275 Posts
"hydraulic / winding" sound when exiting 2018

I think you are hearing the shutters position to open. I heard this a few time and had my wife park the car after a long drive and saw the shutters open and make that sound.

Edit: didn’t see you said rear, scratch my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have heard this also and came on here to see if I was the only one. My experience is the same as yours.. no rhyme or reason and it comes from the back drivers side.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've heard this same thing. Only once, last week. Bought vehicle in November. Not exactly sure where it was coming from, sound lasted about 1.5-2 seconds or so.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Possibly a component of the EVAP system? There's typically a pump or canister in the systems out back, near the filler neck/gas tank, etc., albeit I'm ignorant to the Traverse system.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have the same thing on my new 2021 Traverse. It happens when I close the front or rear passenger doors but so infrequently that I could take it to the dealer and it probably wouldn't do it for them. It has happened twice this week so I don't know if it's getting more frequent or just a fluke. I described it to the dealer as similar to the noise that my husband's Suburban makes when the step boards retract.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have the same thing on my new 2021 Traverse. It happens when I close the front or rear passenger doors but so infrequently that I could take it to the dealer and it probably wouldn't do it for them. It has happened twice this week so I don't know if it's getting more frequent or just a fluke. I described it to the dealer as similar to the noise that my husband's Suburban makes when the step boards retract.
It's the parking brake cycling and 100% normal....it does it randomly on it's own

1 - 9 of 9 Posts