Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow Traversties. Spring is in the air on Canada's West coast (at least it was for a sweet moment this afternoon...), so naturally I felt compelled to go out and spend some money on my vehicle. I got a hitch receiver and a new trailer brake to indulge my fantasy about an eventual trip with our neglected camper in all that time I won't have once it gets warmer. So it's wiring time.

To prepare I have been reading some excellent stuff about the factory trailer harness posted in this forum, and had a glance at the under cover beneath the driver's dash, where begins Chevy's little Easter egg hunt that I understand is access to the electric trailer brake plug.

I do not recognize those round disc plugs holding the cover up, and just want to ask if those are plastic retainer pins I can see in the centres (that's Canadian for "centers", by the by -- little Northern culture for ya...) and if so, do they pry out with a flat driver, or should I grip them with pliers to remove them?

Or am I off in the wrong direction altogether here?

Please advise before I do something regrettable. I am trying to cut down...

Thanks kindly, eh...

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
By "hitch receiver" do you mean the part that bolts to the frame of the Traverse (receiver), or did you purchase the hitch (ball)?

IIRC, the under dash cover is held by two 1/4 turn plastic screws. Do you have the wiring harness already spliced to the brake controller, or did you buy an adapter to plug right in?

Here is a thread of how I installed my brake controller.

http://www.traverseforum.com/index.php?topic=1318.0

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Oh GM Plastic Blind Rivet

The center pulls up.. There is a tool but I just use a wide slot screwdriver to get them to start lifting up.

They look like this opened.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man do I ever love this forum. Thanks for all the help, guys! Quantum yes I did mean the receiver. I still have the hitch ball(s) from my old ’04 Colorado, which I traded toward my new Traverse back in December. Still miss that old truck… It was a goodie. Anyway, I actually saw your post about installing the brake controller before my post on this topic. It was great info – worth finding out about the notches in the cover alone. I might have hacked away at my cover before I noticed them otherwise…

And greentraverse I appreciate the shot of the harness. I saw those at the outlet where I buy my vehicle stuff. I just can’t bring myself to spend 20 bucks on a plug… I work with low voltage wiring a lot so I think I will just get out the soldering gun and the shrink tube and make it a nice and solid connection to the new controller I bought. It’s one of those newfangled digital ones… I hope I get more output to the electric brakes on my trailer than I did with the old analog controller that went to a new owner with the Colorado.

And finally thanks BigBlackTraverse, that shot of the blind rivet really helps. Seeing it gives me a lot more confidence in yanking them out...
I think this weekend I will do the job if weather permits and get that controller in. Thanks again for the help everyone. See you in the forums…

bpk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Greetings fellow Traversties. Spring is in the air on Canada's West coast (at least it was for a sweet moment this afternoon...), so naturally I felt compelled to go out and spend some money on my vehicle. I got a hitch receiver and a new trailer brake to indulge my fantasy about an eventual trip with our neglected camper in all that time I won't have once it gets warmer. So it's wiring time.

To prepare I have been reading some excellent stuff about the factory trailer harness posted in this forum, and had a glance at the under cover beneath the driver's dash, where begins Chevy's little Easter egg hunt that I understand is access to the electric trailer brake plug.

I do not recognize those round disc plugs holding the cover up, and just want to ask if those are plastic retainer pins I can see in the centres (that's Canadian for "centers", by the by -- little Northern culture for ya...) and if so, do they pry out with a flat driver, or should I grip them with pliers to remove them?

Or am I off in the wrong direction altogether here?

Please advise before I do something regrettable. I am trying to cut down...

Thanks kindly, eh...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts