Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, tonight I went out and bought a Prodigy brake controller made by Tekonsha.

Very simple to install with the factory tow package.

To match the wiring of the factory Traverse harness, to the prodigy:

Traverse Prodigy Controller

Red/Black Black
Black White
Blue Blue
White Red
Grey Not Used

I have attached pictures that I took as I did the install. Keep in mind I did this tonight. . . in the dark.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Now hopefully to test tow a new trailer on Friday! ;D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have an excellent view of the brake controller through the right hand hole in the steering wheel. I believe that it is very important to be able to see your brake controller any time, with just a quick glance. If it is too awkward to look at, you probably won't look at it often enough.

The Prodigy has a " C " displayed when the trailer electrical is connected. Its always nice to know, after driving for a couple hours to easily be able to see the " C ".

·
Registered
465 Posts
Excellent pics of the installation , how long did it take for the whole procedure ? What is the grey wire for on the factory wire harness ? :thumb:

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the write up, Quantum. I 'm curious why you didn't use the factory brake controller, though.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you mean by factory brake controller? The only factory brake controllers that I know of are in the heavy duty/super duty pickups. The Traverse does not come with a factory brake controller.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Traverse owner's manual says that they Grey wire is for illumination. I'm not sure what that means.

By the way, I went and tested the wiring when I was complete on my parents 5th wheel. Everything worked perfectly. I could here the trailer brakes as well.

The entire installation took me 45 minutes. Now that I know how to do, I think I could easily do it in about 20 minutes.

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
very interesting that they left that notch there for the wires.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There were several notches. So you can mount the brake controller on the left, center or right side. Very handy idea!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quantum said:
What do you mean by factory brake controller? The only factory brake controllers that I know of are in the heavy duty/super duty pickups. The Traverse does not come with a factory brake controller.
Man, the 70's must have been harder on me than I thought! My Traverse (with the tow package) came with a bundle of wires in the glove box that I thought the salesman said was a brake controller. I tossed it in the rear storage because none of my trailers have brakes. I've been out looking for the bundle, but can't find it. After my (mistaken) assumption that the Traverse had electric steering, now this, I'm wishing I hadn't partied so hard!

edit: I found the wires I referred to, and it appears it is a harness to hook a brake controller to. I don't feel SO stupid, now.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You will see that harness in my first photo. The harness makes adding a brake controller to the Traverse a simple installation.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I also wired up my Prodigy shortly after acquiring my Outlook. Back in June 2009 I also documented with photos, but got a little lazy and only put the photos up on my webshots site and never got to documenting into a thread on the Lambda forums. Installation was likewise about 40 minutes (maybe a bit longer). I agree with your comments on having done the install, it could easily be redone in far less time (had I not spent the time documenting it). Now that I've been through it already, it's certainly doable in 20 minutes with some crimp connectors, zip ties and a bit of velcro.

http://rides.webshots.com/album/577989512TZQzLT

At some point I won't be as lazy and will document it better. I ended up posting questions about the wire colour mapping on PUX (http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=72189.msg91762#msg91762), then went ahead with the project after a little more searching on the web. To that end, Google is indeed your friend.

I mounted my Prodigy a little lower down with some Velcro (Industrial) and found this position as being ideal... most likely there's no way I'll ever get to manually fiddling with the controls while doing a panic stop or anything. It is within view of the lower right opening of/through the steering wheel. So I can see the display if needed. Mostly it's out of sight and out of mind and just works great - the true beauty of a Prodigy.

Regards,
/BTV

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Quantum. I'm trying to install my brake controller by following your little documentary. Nice work, by the way. When I look under my steering column at the wiring (your 3rd pic), don't see a factory harness that is ready to be plugged into. I see a gray plug, like the one you indicate in the pic, but it is plugged into something. Do I need to unhook that or do you think I'm missing something (literally and figuritively...). Let me know what you think. Thanks!

(I'll add a pic of what I see if you would like.)

·
Registered
10 Posts
c44j said:
Hi Quantum. I'm trying to install my brake controller by following your little documentary. Nice work, by the way. When I look under my steering column at the wiring (your 3rd pic), don't see a factory harness that is ready to be plugged into. I see a gray plug, like the one you indicate in the pic, but it is plugged into something. Do I need to unhook that or do you think I'm missing something (literally and figuritively...). Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Hey, I'm doing the same thing. Found the plug on the e-brake side taped to some wires.

If your brake controller has a pug on it, and not just bare wires, just buy the correct adaptor ($20) for a chev vehicle and it should be as simple as plugging one end to the controller and the other to the vehicle then mounting it. You won't need to use the supplied trailer brake wire harness that way.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
c44j said:

Mine was not plugged into anything, but rather just taped up out of the way. Maybe you can snap a pic and post it up here?

Do you have the factory tow option on your Traverse, or are you trying to add it aftermarket?

The only difference is that you have 2011 and I have a 2010. Maybe they put a blank plug in there to protect it?

·
Registered
57 Posts
False alarm. It turns out that the plug was in fact empty and ready to receive the brake controller. They taped it way up under the dash and it was turned so that the plug was facing the engine. My view of it made it seem as though it was plugged into something already. Rookie mistake. I do have the factory towing package.

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the discussions. I too found mine tucked way up there once I saw your discussion on this.
So, I am installing a Reese time delayed controller. I see from discussions above the wire colours do not necessarily match up (for example the post on the prodigy controller). Does anyone know what wires from the traverse match to what on the controller for a Reese? Same as a prodigy or different? And, one I install the controller in the interior, do I need to do anything under the hood? Fuses, connect wires, etc? FYI, I have the factory installed tow package on the 2011 traverse.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
smarty said:
Thanks for the discussions. I too found mine tucked way up there once I saw your discussion on this.
So, I am installing a Reese time delayed controller. I see from discussions above the wire colours do not necessarily match up (for example the post on the prodigy controller). Does anyone know what wires from the traverse match to what on the controller for a Reese? Same as a prodigy or different? And, one I install the controller in the interior, do I need to do anything under the hood? Fuses, connect wires, etc? FYI, I have the factory installed tow package on the 2011 traverse.
Welcome to the forum smarty!

It is true that the colours for the prodigy install do not match the factory wires. The best thing for you to do is read the installation manual that came with your Reese controller. I am quite sure that they will identify the wires in the manual. Then cross reference those with what is in this post at the top, or with the owner's manual of your Traverse.

You don't need to do anything under the hood of your Traverse. It is ready to go. We have seen a couple members that didn't get theirs to work the first time. One member said he had a loose wire in the fuse box under the hood, or the fuse was blown, I can't remember. I haven't heard how the other member made out yet. For most, the installation is quick and painless. The hardest part for me was choosing the location for my controller. I want it to be visible while I am driving, without having to crane my neck to see it. My Prodigy indicates if the trailer is connected, or if there is some other problem, so its nice to have that visual. I also wanted it mounted on the right side, because that is the typical location in most vehicles, and it was what I was used to on my parents vehicles.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts