Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was doing my first oil change today on our Traverse. In attempting to loose the oil filter, my strap wrench's handle crushed/dented slightly on the top side near the end of filter body. After my failed oil change, I bought a jaw wrench from Walmart and an "OEM" cap wrench from Autozone, but neither could grip tightly to the filter end because of the dent.

I phoned a coworker from work to see if he can unscrew it by hand Monday morning. My thinking is he gets stronger hand than me.

Do you think my coworker friend can do it? After all, he is close to 6 fts and 200+lbs. And what are my other option(s)?

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just can't help but wonder why all you guys are doing your oil changes. My GM dealer charges less than $30 (which wouldn't be a great deal more than the cost of the materials) and that includes dealing with all the other fluids. Maybe I'm getting too old!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MartinC said:
I just can't help but wonder why all you guys are doing your oil changes. My GM dealer charges less than $30 (which wouldn't be a great deal more than the cost of the materials) and that includes dealing with all the other fluids. Maybe I'm getting too old!
I feel that I can do a better job for not having oil pan plug stripped, etc. Plus, the dealership is like 30 minutes away and a long wait time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I had the same issue when doing my first oil change. After failing with several filter tools, and ending up with an unusable dented up filter still stuck there, I finally just took out a large pair of channel-lock pliers. One little nudge and the filter broke loose.

Martin, I do it myself because it's easy and doesn't take much time, and I then know exactly what's in my vehicle. I also know it's been done correctly and to my liking. I've had issues in the past with problems stemming from getting oil changes, some minor and then one major.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
MartinC said:
I do my oil changes because im just the type that likes to do it myself if its relatively simple. I have the tools and know how.
I also feel more comfortable putting the filters on myself- and adding the correct amount of oil.
I have no trust for the quick lube places. Like my trailblazer....
They are notorious for putting in 4 or 5 quarts in Trailblazer engines (which take 7 quarts of oil--- imagine driving away being 2-3 quarts short)
Dealers--- well around here- an oil changed would take just too long--- pulling in, having the advisor talk to you, wait, wait, wait some more... by the time its done--- youve already spent at least an hour waiting.
I also like to look at the underside of the vehicle.
Just the last oil change- on our impala- I noticed a small oil leak from the trannsmission. big enough to leave trace oil and dust buildup- but small enough that it was not dripping on the floor (YET).
I found that one of the quick connect fittings was leaking.
I took the vehicle in for this.
But a quick lube place would not have told me about this.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-5248-Adjustable/dp/B000OUX9MM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_11

that I use to get filters off. Don't use them to tighten the filter though, it does dent the heck out of the filter. I actually just did my first oil change today on our Traverse. It was at 5000 miles, but I'm about to take a 2000 mile trip, so I figured I should change it before I go, since it's the first time. I'll being going by the oil life monitor from here on out.

I don't know that I will ever change the oil on this car again. Talk about a horrible oil filter placement! How do you get that off without making a mess all over the garage floor. I have an Astra, and it's the easiest oil change ever - takes about 5 minutes and no mess - easy filter access, and the cartridge filter drains right back into the engine. The Traverse was the messiest oil change I have ever done. I'm hoping I can figure out a way to catch the oil, but the weird angle of the filter in the Traverse doesn't even allow my old trick to work (putting a plastic cup over the filter to catch the oil). I may just pay someone to do it next time and I hate that I would even think of doing that. I haven't taken a car someplace for an oil change in over 10 years.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My buddy co-worker couldn't twist it loose by hand either. He had a good & quality standard-type filter wrench in his SUV but it is just too big.

So I went to autozone and swapped the cap wrench with a standard wrench (again made by OEM Tools #25075) that, according to package, fits 2 3/4" to 3-1/4" filter. However upon opening the packaging and sized on my spare replacement filters, it doesn't cramp tightly. Cheap auto part!!!!

I am going to give it try tonight when the engine cools down or have my co-worker buddy to try it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
emg77 said:
I have something similar to this:

http://www.amazon.com/Advanced-Tool-Design-ATD-5248-Adjustable/dp/B000OUX9MM/ref=pd_sbs_auto_11

that I use to get filters off. Don't use them to tighten the filter though, it does dent the heck out of the filter. I actually just did my first oil change today on our Traverse.
Is that the tool you actually used to unscrew your oil filter today? Walmart has it on stock. I was afraid it was too big to fit the filter or it can puncture the filter body so I didn't consider it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I DID IT with the basic standard-type wrench from autozone. It was impossible to squeeze the handle with just 1 hand. I resolved to hold/squeeze the metal strap with my right hand reaching thru the exhaust manifold. And turned the handle with my left hand. The filter broke loose easily (notice the label on the above picture no longer there :cheers: :cheers:)... I didn't want to do an oil change at night and in the dark. I will save it this long weekend.

So now, are there any tricks to minimize the amount of oil landing on the AC compressor/engine mount? I am planning on parking the passenger front-wheel on a rhino ramp. Will the oil hit the bottom cross brace and run across it to the driver-side of front frame?

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
lxc said:
Is that the tool you actually used to unscrew your oil filter today? Walmart has it on stock. I was afraid it was too big to fit the filter or it can puncture the filter body so I didn't consider it.
I don't have this particular one, but something similar that I have had for a number of years. It does really dent it up, but I've never punctured one. My filter was on very tight from the factory, and I had trouble getting it off, even with this tool. I only hand tightened it when I put it back on, but I got it very tight, just by hand - not worried about it working loose. I probably won't change the oil on this car again though, it was a mess, and the access to the filter is horrible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally did my oil change again this weekend. I put the passenger wheel on rhino ramp Saturday. Loosened the oil filter and let it dripped down to a large oil catch pan... Took my family out to the city to see the July 4 firework and spent the night...

Sunday morning, unscrewed off the filter by hand and there was no oil inside. There is a small lid under the filter on the filter neck that directed all the oil down the pan. Really there wasn't any mess!!!!

Un-did the drain plug... and finished off by refilling with new full synthetic oil + new PF48 filter. Yes I hand-tightened the filter by hand. I did make a small mistake when pouring the 5-qtr bottle of oil, I accidentally poured a small amount on the front exhaust manifold.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I dont have a traverse yet...
But youre saying- the filter screws in and sits sideways?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
rbarrios said:
I dont have a traverse yet...
But youre saying- the filter screws in and sits sideways?
Pretty much so. Actually it is slanted down slightly. When I unscrewed the filter in the morning, I found the filter's outside was bone dry and only a small amount of oil inside.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I cant wait to do an oil change on a traverse.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The last resort for removing an oil filter would be to place a "catch" pan underneath the filter, then jam a philips screwdriver far into the side farthest away from the engine block to loosen it up.
I like the other guy's comment in this thread, it is best to do oil changes yourself. Why on earth they would put a filter on so tight is an example of the kids at the lube shops making $10/h to work on your engine.
Think about it boys.....10 minutes to change your oil in these places. For those that change their own oil i guarantee they spend more than 10 mins just waiting for the old oil to fully drain out while enjoying a cold beer. Thus...10 mins to do a full oil change is likely 1/5th old oil not fully drained and 4/5 new oil ;)

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is really an old thread.

·
Registered
60 Posts
lxr - I don't want to say rbarrios is pulling your leg, but your gonna need ONE elevator shoe. The factory filter is on there very well. After the first one, it won't be nearly so difficult to get them off.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I believe I posted- that I couldnt wait to do an oil change-- as I had ordered my Traverse- and at that date-- It still had not arrived.
In my case- the factory gorilla must have taken the day off- because I easily removed my factory filter when I did do the change.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts