Traverse Forum banner

201 - 208 of 208 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Thats not hot. You need to get the fluid over 200 degrees to remove any moisture from condensation. Any synthetic fluid should handle those temps quite well.
I'm used to seeing around 80 degrees above ambient in the '12 Silverado, '15 Silverado, '20 Sierra and '11 Yukon XL Denali so seeing 110 -120 above ambient is a little unsettling. But I do understand the cooler is in the radiator unlike those trucks so in slow moving and stopped situations the temps will eventually equalize. I also understand that the point at which these fluids (especially synthetics) break down is closer to 280.

But my brain is deficient in some ways and drain and fills are so easy to do on the Traverse that I will likely look to do it every 2 or 3 oil changes.

Reactions: AlisoBob

·
Registered
585 Posts
Some transmission programming ( I dont know if this includes the Traverse 9 speed) will defeat torque converter lockup... to heat up the trans fluid to proper operating temp. 215+ is getting on the "Hot" side of things......

·
Registered
761 Posts
Some transmission programming ( I dont know if this includes the Traverse 9 speed) will defeat torque converter lockup... to heat up the trans fluid to proper operating temp. 215+ is getting on the "Hot" side of things......
Mine is the 6T75... it operates the same when it's cold as it does when it's warm. Smooth as silk under constant acceleration but confused and clunky going up and down hills, around turns and in traffic/around town. Torque converter lockup occurs at all temps.

My wife's Pilot will prevent lockup until a certain temp, not full operating temp but I guess until the fluid gets to a minimum temp for optimum performance.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm used to seeing around 80 degrees above ambient in the '12 Silverado, '15 Silverado, '20 Sierra and '11 Yukon XL Denali so seeing 110 -120 above ambient is a little unsettling. But I do understand the cooler is in the radiator unlike those trucks so in slow moving and stopped situations the temps will eventually equalize. I also understand that the point at which these fluids (especially synthetics) break down is closer to 280.

But my brain is deficient in some ways and drain and fills are so easy to do on the Traverse that I will likely look to do it every 2 or 3 oil changes.
Here is graph showing engine and transmission temps vs longevity. I have seen various versions and sources and most are consistant. My UltraGauge shows temps run 190-195F for coolant and transmission runs at 170-175F. Over a long drive I can see both temps equalize only when coolant rose above 210F a few times, but normally a 20F difference. I have not towed yet, but running across the Appalachians last year I saw trans temps rise to 195F on the long, steep grades.

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts

OEM Trans temps are not measured at the pan. They are measured exiting the T/C.
A 175 degree pan temp equals a 200 or so degree fluid temp leaving the T/C, which is about Crunchy is seeing.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
changed oil and did a trans fluid drain/refill.
Traverse-

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looking for some help here.
2016 Traverse 95k
Transmission seems to be slipping(I’m guessing that’s what this is) between 2/3. Maybe other gears but I haven’t gotten it on the highway as my wife just told me about it so I drove it through town. At about 22-26 MPH on flat highway during an automatic shift, RPM and MPH needle will jump around with a stutter.
To my surprise, I didn’t feel this when I shifted to L and shifted manually.

I’ve drained and refilled the fluid with no change.She says it has happened a fair amount of times.
There is no check engine light so I’m assuming there will be no misfire codes. I checked the front three coils/plugs and they seem to be firing. Back three are harder to get to and I didn’t think it was worth my time for now. Wanted to diagnose this first.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
it will indeed record small number of misfires.
Some scanners will allow you to check each cylinder and see the number of misfires (without setting CEL). number will be low.

201 - 208 of 208 Posts