·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
the clunk- could be a bad motor mount.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Couple of questions. Since this is a partial drain and fill, do you recommend refilling and driving for a few hundred miles and drain again? I guess you can't flush or replace the filter this way. This seems to be a very easy way to drain and replace the fluid. I happen to have a plastic tray in the garage that is about 2' x 2' that I can use for this.

Second question: where/how do you dispose of the fluid? Not supposed to mix this with engine oil. We do have a hazardous waste drop off here. I could check to see if they take used transmission fluid.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Couple of questions. Since this is a partial drain and fill, do you recommend refilling and driving for a few hundred miles and drain again? I guess you can't flush or replace the filter this way. This seems to be a very easy way to drain and replace the fluid. I happen to have a plastic tray in the garage that is about 2' x 2' that I can use for this.

Second question: where/how do you dispose of the fluid? Not supposed to mix this with engine oil. We do have a hazardous waste drop off here. I could check to see if they take used transmission fluid.
How many miles do you have? If you have over 50k I'd do at least 2, maybe 3 of the drain and fills.

In my are the transmission fluid goes in the same bin as the engine oil, the coolant is the only thing that gets separated in its own bin.

·
Registered
129 Posts
How many miles do you have? If you have over 50k I'd do at least 2, maybe 3 of the drain and fills.

In my are the transmission fluid goes in the same bin as the engine oil, the coolant is the only thing that gets separated in its own bin.
Right around 191,000 or 192,000 miles. I'm putting together a list of things I need to do to it fairly soon so I can show the boss (my wife) what tools I need to do the job. Right now drain transmission fluid (at about the same time I change the engine oil again), replace sway bars, lower front bushings, control arms with ball joints, outer tie rods. I need to buy a good 1/2 inch socket set, longer ~20 to 26 mm wrenches, new 3 ton jack (my old one died), and a 1/2 inch torque wrench.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Definitely a 3x drain and fill for you! Make sure you get the Transfer Case and Rear Diff as well! Among the many other fluids.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Definitely a 3x drain and fill for you! Make sure you get the Transfer Case and Rear Diff as well! Among the many other fluids.
My 2011 Traverse is FWD, not AWD. Where would the transfer case plug be located? Since it is FWD, no rear diff, correct?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
yes no rear diff for you.
You can drain and refill and drive for a week- or 1 tankful. Enough time to allow the fluid to fully circulate and mix.

I didnt see... but when was the last time(mileage) the fluid was drained?

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
correct me if im wrong....
The only reason I allow it to circulate.....
and what I remember reading....
Dexron VI has anti varnish additives.
If your fluid is old- these additives are now weak.
You add new fluid- even though its half the trans capacity- the additives will do some cleaning.
How much can it clean? I dont know. But I figure Id give it a tankful to circulate and do a little light cleaning...removal of varnish.
Any truth to this? I dont know.
But Id rather do this- than to do a whole fluid swap- and then end up with totally new fluid-- that is now going to clean house-- and have all that varnish remain suspended in fluid or filter.
I

·
Registered
539 Posts
My 2011 Traverse is FWD, not AWD. Where would the transfer case plug be located? Since it is FWD, no rear diff, correct?
No rear diff or transfer case for you, just the transmission.

correct me if im wrong....
The only reason I allow it to circulate.....
and what I remember reading....
Dexron VI has anti varnish additives.
If your fluid is old- these additives are now weak.
You add new fluid- even though its half the trans capacity- the additives will do some cleaning.
How much can it clean? I dont know. But I figure Id give it a tankful to circulate and do a little light cleaning...removal of varnish.
Any truth to this? I dont know.
But Id rather do this- than to do a whole fluid swap- and then end up with totally new fluid-- that is now going to clean house-- and have all that varnish remain suspended in fluid or filter.
I
I've always given it a couple days at least, the fluid in the torque converter is a little more stubborn to mix and flush out and it's one of those things that doesn't hurt if you have the time. I'd be satisfied either way but that's the way I do it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Did this today with just under 14,000 miles. Fluid was definitely darker but smelled fine. Still happy I did it. Now I know the fluid is fresh, all the break-in crap is out, and it's full synthetic. I got about 6 qts out but it took maybe 20 min for that to drizzle out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I apologized if I missed this somewhere, but how are people getting rid of their old ATF fluid? I know Autozone and Advance Auto only take engine oil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I apologized if I missed this somewhere, but how are people getting rid of their old ATF fluid? I know Autozone and Advance Auto only take engine oil.
i take all my fluids to the nearest Chevy dealer, they accept them without any complaints.

181 - 194 of 194 Posts