Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Auto Start/Stop System on the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse with the 3.6 liter V6 can be disabled as follows: Shift into L instead of D and press the + button on the shifter 8 or more times to place the range of the transmission to be from gear 1 to gear 9. In the Driver Information Center, on the dashboard, the transmission gear indicator will show "L9". Your range of gears will be the full range available in D, and the transmission will shift in L9 mode in the same way as it does in D mode, but the auto stop/start will be disabled. On the highway, the engine rpm and overall behavior is the same in both modes except that automatic downshifting while descending a grade will not occur in L9 mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Auto Start/Stop System on the 2018 Chevrolet Traverse with the 3.6 liter V6 can be disabled as follows: Shift into L instead of D and press the + button on the shifter 8 or more times to place the range of the transmission to be from gear 1 to gear 9. In the Driver Information Center, on the dashboard, the transmission gear indicator will show "L9". Your range of gears will be the full range available in D, and the transmission will shift in L9 mode in the same way as it does in D mode, but the auto stop/start will be disabled. On the highway, the engine rpm and overall behavior is the same in both modes except that automatic downshifting while descending a grade will not occur in L9 mode.
I hope they just add a software update that allows the auto start stop to be disabled with the press of a button.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It will not happened. The purpose of the stop start is mainly to reduce the gas emission when you are stopped. Manufacturers will not put themselves into troubles by eliminating this feature. This is the only purpose of this gadget. The gas consuption will barely be reduced with this stop start affair but the second battery that restart the engine will have a life of maybe 2 years if you are lucky. For the starter and the flywheel ring gear we will see with time. For me it was the only reason I decided to buy a new 2017 instead and also a good rebate because of the end of this model. I prefer to decide myself if it is worth to shut the engine like for exemple waiting for a freight train at a railway crossing or a major traffic jam.

Reactions: Thomcat

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
That's the same way you can prevent an AFM engine from cutting off cylinders, but you're fooling yourself if you think that is a logical way to defeat start-stop because manual mode in 6, 8, 9 or whatever the high gear is for the tranny, also defeats the torque convertor lockup that occurs only after maximum gear is reached in Drive. One can only guess what effects, other than mpg reduction, long term operation that way will occur.

Purposely bought the 2.0T in the '16 Malibu specifically because it didn't have the Start-Stop that was standard in the 1.5T. Seems now they started to screw with the 3.6ls also. Start-Stop with all it's complex systems of dual batteries, auxiliary battery operated water pump for coolant circulation, specialized starter motors, and a load of other monitoring crap is an expensive way to save a few cents on gas. I'll be the one to determine when to decide when to turn the engine on and off, to keep the A/C compressor running when idling in traffic and not waste time starting the engine if I see a semi barreling toward my stopped vehicle.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"L9" Mode of Automatic Transmission

When driving my 2018 Chevrolet Traverse LS FWD on an 8 mile stretch of the Long Island Expressway in "L9" mode of the automatic transmission at a steady 55 mph, using cruise control, I am getting an average indicated fuel mileage of 36 mpg, as shown in the Driver Information Center on the dashboard. The torque converter is locking up, and the car shifts as if it is in "D" mode. I plan to use "L9" mode from now on instead of "D" mode, because start/stop is disabled in "L9" mode, and the automatic transmission functions normally in "L9" mode.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Just did a 800 trip and only had his feature happen 3 times. Each time I didn't even notice it and the startup started when I lifted my foot off the brake.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
My 2018 Traverse seems to make a single "click" or single "tick" noise when it comes out of auto-stop. Is this normal?
Apparently normal - mine does it also.

That's probably the engine cranking to start.....takes a fraction of a second. More noticeable switching from 2WD to 4WD when stopped because apparently it won't switch and the rear drive clutch doesn't kick in until the engine is running and the switching is not noticeable if the vehicle is already moving with the engine running.

Hate that **** auto start/stop since t doesn't have a dedicated override switch.....so few traffic lights around here it rarely works anyway.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I bet soon that GM will have so many unhappy owners with this that they will have an override switch on the futur models. My neighbour has a BMW and he has a by pass switch for this nuisance. He never used the stop start affair!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I bet soon that GM will have so many unhappy owners with this that they will have an override switch on the futur models. My neighbour has a BMW and he has a by pass switch for this nuisance. He never used the stop start affair!!!
I am not sure that the government will allow override switches for this function in the future, as it defeats the objective of emissions reductions and gas mileage improvement. I believe that current performance models must offer this disable switch, otherwise people will not buy them; however this might not be the case going forward. My current vehicle has the auto stop/start function but it also has a disable switch which you can program to always be off. I am hoping that this option continues to be available, unfortunately it is not available on the 2018 Traverse which we intend to purchase. It will be my wife's car so she is not that opposed to it.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I am not sure that the government will allow override switches for this function in the future, as it defeats the objective of emissions reductions and gas mileage improvement. I believe that current performance models must offer this disable switch, otherwise people will not buy them; however this might not be the case going forward. My current vehicle has the auto stop/start function but it also has a disable switch which you can program to always be off. I am hoping that this option continues to be available, unfortunately it is not available on the 2018 Traverse which we intend to purchase. It will be my wife's car so she is not that opposed to it.
Nonsense.....evidently not Government's call because Honda Pilots and some new GMs already have an override switch after the first start.........symbol is an "A" inside a circular arrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Nonsense.....evidently not Government's call because Honda Pilots and some new GMs already have an override switch after the first start.........symbol is an "A" inside a circular arrow.
I believe that you missed my point, I am fully aware that current vehicles have an override switch just as my current car has, but these switches are basically to appease the present owners while still satisfying the government requirement of a auto stop/start system which gives manufacturers a credit for EPA corporate fleet MPG improvements towards achieving the CAFE requirements. However as these CAFE requirements become more stringent in future years, I believe that the government will begin to close these loopholes and insist that the manufacturers not allow these auto stop/start systems to be disabled, if they want to still get credits for having these systems installed in their vehicles.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I believe that you missed my point, I am fully aware that current vehicles have an override switch just as my current car has, but these switches are basically to appease the present owners while still satisfying the government requirement of a auto stop/start system which gives manufacturers a credit for EPA corporate fleet MPG improvements towards achieving the CAFE requirements. However as these CAFE requirements become more stringent in future years, I believe that the government will begin to close these loopholes and insist that the manufacturers not allow these auto stop/start systems to be disabled, if they want to still get credits for having these systems installed in their vehicles.
Point being GM could have put it on the Traverse and they didn't. Wouldn't count on EPA enforcement of that anytime soon....given their current status more likely we may soon be running them on coal.:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tempermental Auto Stop

We just bought our '18 Traverse 3 days ago…we test drove a different Traverse than the one we purchased, and on the test drive the auto stop did not initiate once! I was not even aware of the feature until we picked up our Traverse and noticed it on the tach. (My fault for not doing enough research). Anyways, the first day we drove our Traverse, the auto stop did not kick in even once! The second day, if I barely stopped at a four way stop it kicked in (constantly)! It's so incredibly annoying, but why is it not consistent? Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, even if the manner in which I stop and length of time stopped is identical…is this normal???

·
Registered
226 Posts
Lots of different things go into it. I don’t mind it at all. If I want to engine to kick back on a quick lift of the break and back on will kick it back on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I think it's more annoying to me only because it's not consistent..it kicked in at 3 out of 8 stop signs this evening, then didn't kick in once while sitting in a drive thru for 25 minutes! That kinda defeats the purpose I'd think...I'm mostly concerned that something is wrong with it, probably just paranoid

·
Registered
226 Posts
I think it's more annoying to me only because it's not consistent..it kicked in at 3 out of 8 stop signs this evening, then didn't kick in once while sitting in a drive thru for 25 minutes! That kinda defeats the purpose I'd think...I'm mostly concerned that something is wrong with it, probably just paranoid

Yes I can agree with that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I imagine that for some weird vehicle troubleshooting a mechanic may need to have the vehicle idle in drive with the foot on the break and "not" have the stop/start engage. They must be able to access and disable this function with a programming tool or PC when they get into the vehicle computer.
However; Even if they could they wouldn't be able to legally do it permanently. Stop/Stop will never have the option to disable!! Think about it...These vehicles "legally" meet certain emissions standards and they publish them. This is achieved with Start/stop. If it could be disabled it would defeat the whole purpose and throw those EPA ratings out the window.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
The '18 Traverse is supposed to have a new "intelligent start/stop" system, I guess as compared to the dumb one in my 'son's 16 Malibu. So intelligent there are so many sensory inputs feeding the algorithm it's running on that there's no way to reliably predict where or when it will turn off at a stop. Supposedly it knows when you are pulling into a garage and will not shut off (uses light sensor?) I know that if I crank up the air a few degrees it will stay on no matter how many times I stop, but if the cabin is at the set temperature you can count on a stop (uses outside temp/HVAC settings?). Won't stop in moving stop and go traffic (uses front/rear cameras or parking sensors?)......ditto for a heavy drain on the battery voltage from a combo of heated seats, steering wheel, rear defrost grid/side mirrors defroggers. Other than keeping the hood open to defeat it, I seriously doubt that anyone can reliably predict what the system will do 100% of the time.

I do know that the new "intelligent" system in combo with motorized/synced starter gear arrangement in combo with the motor mounting system to reduce vibrations does make the system less obtrusive than the older system. Often have to look at the tach to see if the engine is running or stopped. Originally bought my '16 Malibu with the 2.0T specifically because I didn't want the start stop they put in my son's 1.5. But, now I don't mind the Traverse's often forgetting it is even there.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts