Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I had my air filter out- I decided to check the throttle body- and check for oil in the tube.
Yup- found some oil. not alot- but there was some.
With the air filter cover out of the way- its easier to work this area.
I used tissue to absorb the oil accumulated here. There a catch basin- where it pools. Kind of like- its expected and this is were it goes.

If youve did not remove the air filter box- youll want to loosen the screw that tightens the band. I also disconnected the wires to the sensor. (****NOTE at the bottom*****).
Youll also want to disconnect the small tube (where the oil appears to come from).

loosen the 2nd screw closer to the throttle body. and remove the assembly- you can then clean up the oil better.
You can also see the MAF sensor. Note that when removingthe parts- is when dust/dirt is loosened. But overall the inside of the tubes are clean.

NOTE-- it is my understanding- that the following needs to be done WITH BATTERY DISCONNECTED...OR the KEYS OUT OF THE IGNITION.
so you cant be listening to your car radio... you dont want power to the throttle body- do LEAVE THE KEYS OUT OF IGINITION.
What we want to do, is clean the moving part of the throttle body. the flap that moves.. I sprayed the cleaner on the moving part-- and then moved it a few times to get the crud off. Then I gently cleaned the area.
the dirty throttle body.

then reverse to put back toghether. When you try to start- youll notice it cranks longer- and may stumble. This is due to the stuff that was sprayed in.

*******NOTE--- After I did this - I heard my fans running.... I dont know if its because I was directly over the radiator and I could hear the fans.... or because I disconnected the plug to the MAF.... Im trying to get info on this. .....

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
why clean the throttle body?

After a while- and depending on several things... carbon/soot- can build up in the moving part of the throtthe body.
Eventually enough accumulated that it impairs smooth movement of the plate. Though the engine/computer learns to make up for these deficiencies-- the time these deficiencies rear their ugly head-- is during a battery swap- or disconnection (ask the Trailblazer owners).
if left disconnected long enough- learned parameters are lost- and then you get erractic engine idles. Turn on AC- and engine shuts off when the compressor comes on etc. this is a result of the computer not being able to compensate for a dirty thottle body.
Many Trailblazer owners- have to take apart the throttle body to clean it thoroughly.
Regular cleaning will keep it operating nicely. If you dont clean it- will it affect you? Most likely not.. but there are cases where something happens- and all the dealer does is clean the throttle body- and problem fixed.. but you know what the dealer charges $$$$
So preventive maintenance....

Now why should you leave KEYS OUT of car?
the throttle body- is a stepper motor... precise motor. When energized-- if you move the flapper- its going to want to counter the movement.
you push- it pushes back- It wants to remain in the position its supposed to be in... so it fighting against you-- can damage it.

So leave the keys out- so you dont accidently energize the throttle body.
this also gives you a chance to clean up the pooled oil.
Im shy of 24,000 for this cleaning.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Great information and write-up. Thanks!

and I got a laugh out of your [subtle and unintentional] oily-middle-finger flip-off!

·
Registered
718 Posts
That reminds me, I should probably get around to cleaning it on my 04 Silverado. Just turned 116K and haven't cleaned it yet...

·
Registered
860 Posts
Some MAF cleaner probably wouldn't hurt either...

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
Great write up! I used throttle body cleaner and I put a chevron fuel injector cleaner in the tank. This is something most dealers will charge you around 99 bux for this service every 15000 miles. At 116k on the silverado I would be sure to do it soon. I always clean my throttle bodies every 15k on all of my rides. On my show cars I do it every year cause I don't drive them enough.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
So rbarrios, what's up with the fans running? Did you figure out the problem? Do the fans run continually, or did they stop after a certain amount of time?

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They only ran when the engine was running...
But I had never heard the fans before....
Im thinking I heard the fans because I was right there-- or because I was concentrating on that area.

Just a little while ago- at my friends house. I told him..
My fans are running... we popped the hood- and from inside the engine bay I lit up the rear of the fans with my flashlight... and they WERE NOT running...
At that point I thought... Im going crazy.
After the throttle body cleaning I scanned for codes. None.
I also filled up the tank. And so far im at 22 MPG for my 2 days of driving... so no negative effects.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Where is the OBD2 plug on the Traverse?? Is it under the steering column? I have not looked yet and am considering purchasing a Proscan reader.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes. just about the area your left knee is...

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so on the acadia forum- a few people have had their throttle plates freeze- heres a post..
I was surprissed at the price.

" I'm in ontario Canada third time i 've had this happen on our 2008 peice of crap acadia, dealer says moisture in fuel or poor fuel quality. also say carbon builds up in these throttle bodies and need to be cleaned every 40000km at a cost of $180. they say carbon absorbs the moisture then freezes the throttle plate. theres no clable on these cars just an electric motor to operate throttle plate. not sure if this is all true or theres another problem"

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Id never thought of it that way, but I guess air flow.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Direct injection has the fuel injectors atomizing fuel directly into the combustion chamber (more efficient) rather than atomizing the fuel outside of the combustion chamber above the intake valve. But we still need the throttle body (that houses the throttle-position sensor) and mass air-flow sensor (MAF) to meter and control the air entering the engine so the correct amount of fuel enters the combustion chamber.

·
Registered
208 Posts
A catch can will solve the oil blow by problem. Been putting catch cans in my car since 1999. You'd be surprised how much oil gets collected in a month or two. Especially the high out put engines like my C5 and G8 have. The more vacuum that engine creates the more oil it is going to pull from the valve covers into the throttle body.

This is a home made version of my C5's catch can. I have a double tube with a filter. It stopped all the oil from getting into the throttle body after the install.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Rbarrios,

I wonder if these should be in the "FAQs, Links, Recalls & How-Tos" section of the forum...?

That's generally where I look first for "How tos" if I'm interested in doing something. Just a thought.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mod- can you move this to the right place?

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Well today I had some extra time and decided to check out the throttle body. Currently I have 21,xxx km on my Traverse. I had oil puddled in there. Thanks rbarrios for your write up. Half way through taking it apart, I came in the house, grabbed the laptop and loaded up your "how-to" just to see if I was going too far with taking things apart. I wasn't, and so I continued.

I didn't use throttle body cleaner, as this was a spur of the moment task, and I hadn't bought any. My flapper didn't look as "dirty" as the one pictured by rbarrios, but I also have less miles on mine. Next time I will clean it as well. Nice to get the oil out of there.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Oh, the last picture, you may be wondering why I posted it.

Did you notice the rivet laying in the air box? Right by the round intake. It holds some sort of black tank, located directly in front of the air box. I pushed it back in (you can see the hole where it goes in the picture) I don't know if it will hold. At least is on the bottom of the filter.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
you saying its missing a rivet too?
WOnder what the tank does....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts