Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my '10 Traverse 1LT (Silver w/black interior) for three days now and really like it, but I'm concerned about the amount of wind noise I'm getting. I notice it the most towards the front of the driver side window when going above 50 mph. It seems like more noise than I remember when test driving other Traverses before buying this one.

I live in Michigan and it has been windy, but I get the noise whether I'm driving with or against the wind. Anyone else getting this?

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have an 09 LTZ and I am greatly pleased at the quietness and lack of road and wind noise. I chose between an Enclave and a Traverse. The Enclave is noticably quieter than the Traverse given it's added pounds of insulation and it's laminated window glass. But, the Traverse is very quiet and smooth indeed --- even more so than my wife's Cadillac SRX or the GMC Yukon I drove on loan for three days the week before Christmas.

My advice to you is to visit your dealer or another one and ask to drive a couple more Traverses so you can compare firsthand. If you determine there's a discernible difference, take your service advisor for a drive and point it out to him or her. You could possibly have an issue with weather-stripping or fresh air intake that causes the added noise.

Best of luck and let everyone know if you do find a specific cause. :thumb:

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
my 2010 1LT is quiet.
No wind noise that bothers me

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Crosswinds, no matter which direction, can create turbulence which creates wind noise you may not have experienced during a calm day. The advise andylibby suggests is good, my '09' is quiet BUT has been somewhat "noisy" in crosswinds.

Bob

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
jsaido- you got noise from the crossrails?
I did not have mine on- but installed them last week.
I have not noticed any wind noise. I even had it up to 75 mph... no noise.
I did leave the crossbars in the recommended location for least noise but I didnt get any....
As for crosswind-- have not experienced any in the Traverse..
But my Trailblazer--- heard those crosswinds...

·
Registered
105 Posts
I had to double check, but my 2010 Traverse is quieter than my 06 trailblazer Ext lt.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
red426 said:
I had to double check, but my 2010 Traverse is quoted than my 06 trailblazer Ext lt.
What?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry, I didn't notice I had the word "quoted", I meant quieter... I was playing w/ my wife's itouch when I was posting that reply. Screen not zoomed in big enough and maybe that was a suggested word when I was typing..... Anyways, I changed the original post...

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've had my 2011 Traverse for 2 months and have noticed a wind noise develop at the top of the driver door, right by my ear. I think it is obvious. When put my hand over it, it's quieter, so I've definitely located it. I have also noticed that my door does not close flush with the pillar or the rear door. The bottom closes flush, but the top does not. It sticks out maybe an eighth of an inch. With less than 3000 miles on it, I'm disappointed. What makes it worse is that the '08 Silverado that I traded in on it had an air leak too (worse than this one). The dealership was clearly not thrilled with the fact that I kept bringing it in for something that they didn't deem important. They're REALLY going to love me now!

·
Registered
232 Posts
something definetly off there. That is annoying as **** so take it as many times as it takes to get fixed. I would say probably a bad rubber seal but if your door doesn't line up, that doesn't sound good. Keep us up to date on what happens.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got a 2010 Traverse 1LT at the first of this month. After driving it home from the dealership, once we got on the freeway there was a lot of wind noise coming in from the vehicle just right above the rear view mirror. After taking into the dealership to have it looked at, they had to have Safelite come out and pull the windshield off and re-seal the window.

Ever since then we have not had any issues, the ride is nice and quiet.

·
Registered
186 Posts
my first post in awhile...hello again everyone! been real busy at work...this topic got me going. I thought I was crazy, or just maybe settling, but anywhere above 60-65, my '10 has quite a bit of wind noise...sounds like its coming from where the headliner meets the windshield, driver's side, even on a calm day (i.e. no crosswinds to speak of). Now that I feel that I'm not alone, next service appt. this will definitely be addressed. Along with the fact that NO Mr. Goodwrenches seem to be able (3 tries and counting!) to properly balance my factory 20's. The whole car would shudder a bit anywhere above 80 MPH, and the svc. mgr. would just say, "we wont let our techs drive that fast", which made us S.O.L....Finally, they told us they had them balanced to 75MPH, and now the car shakes at 40. HELP!!! Is balancing a lost art? Sorry, I crossed topics. See you all later. :soapbox:

·
Registered
150 Posts
I wouldn't let them BS you on the wheel balancing. My '11 with 20's is as smooth as glass at all speeds, although I don't think I've had it quite up to 80 yet. I know for sure I've been at 75 however. I also don't believe that they send a tech out to drive at all while balancing the wheels. They spin them on the vehicle, and a 'computer' tells them where and how heavy of weights to put on the wheel.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I'll continue off topic here a bit, and agree with James... There is no way that your 20's shouldn't be able to be balance perfectly. I know for a fact that mine are balance to 100 mph, and I'm pretty sure that's what the speed rating is on the tires as well. That being said, if I were you, I'd take the Traverse to a reputable tire shop, and have them balanced there. Yea, it will cost you $$$ where GM would have done for free, but you get it fixed. Tire shops do this all day, not as a side job to make a few extra bucks like GM does.
If you want to after you get yours balanced @ the tire shop, send your local GM dealer a copy of the bill, stating who it's from, and that you feel they should reimburse you for the trouble, since they couldn't get it right. That should put a fire under someone's rear end. :happy: Probably won't get reimbursed though, but worth the piece of mind.

G

·
staciesbaby said:
my first post in awhile...hello again everyone! been real busy at work...this topic got me going. I thought I was crazy, or just maybe settling, but anywhere above 60-65, my '10 has quite a bit of wind noise...sounds like its coming from where the headliner meets the windshield, driver's side, even on a calm day (i.e. no crosswinds to speak of). Now that I feel that I'm not alone, next service appt. this will definitely be addressed. Along with the fact that NO Mr. Goodwrenches seem to be able (3 tries and counting!) to properly balance my factory 20's. The whole car would shudder a bit anywhere above 80 MPH, and the svc. mgr. would just say, "we wont let our techs drive that fast", which made us S.O.L....Finally, they told us they had them balanced to 75MPH, and now the car shakes at 40. HELP!!! Is balancing a lost art? Sorry, I crossed topics. See you all later. :soapbox:
Sounds like you might need to get your tires road force balanced; this is much more in depth than the traditional spin balance 99% of shops complete.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts