Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am a new owner of a 1lt DBM FWD Traverese. I love this ride. Anyway the one thing i didn't come with was the trailering setup that i would like to have. Any idea on how much to add from a dealership or should i go else where to add it?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
depends on who installs it and the brand of the hitch.

When you do add the hitch--- it will still NOT be rated to tow as much as the factory unit.
The factory unit- I think we discussed on here is about a $500 option..
But its worth it- because it adds larger radiators and I think tranny cooler.. along with the wiring and something else...

But shop around for your hitch. and you will have to add the wiring.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anyone out there know of a reason why he would want to buy the hitch from the dealership? Can't think of one here (except to pay more money maybe). Just make sure you get the class hitch that works for you and can handle all the uses you could think of...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would get light usage. Maybe a jet ski or a flat bed trailer with dirt or something like that.

I will shop around and see. I have heard that they bolt in. I would have thought it would have to be welded?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Well, I can answer your question. I agree that the dealer may not be the best place to get one put on, but I negotiated one as part of the deal with my dealer, so I got it for 'free'. The price they took off the amount of the car was for the trailer hitch with the wiring harness connector. The cost I would have paid was $500 for that, installed. There is another version that is just the hitch and no wiring harness, which is like $400 or something.

You should know that adding a trailer hitch is not equivalent to what you get when you order the trailering package from the factory. That contains a HD oil cooler, among other things for added towing capacity. So the actual towing capacity of the traverse will be less with an aftermarket hitch only.

I only needed mine for my bike rack which attaches to the hitch...so the towing capacity was not an issue.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
857 Posts
Alright, I have to ask this because I've seen too many questions about this topic. For those who don't have the towing package factory installed, do you have a trailering button next to the traction control button in front of the shifter? I don't think the towing package is just HD cooling, aux. transmission cooler, wiring, and the hitch. I think the towing package includes electronic upgrades for the transmission, too (hence the trailering button). I will probably never use the hitch on this vehicle. But my dad and I are big believers in upgrading cooling and electrical systems in a new car if the options exist.

I realize that people aren't going to be towing too often with an aftermarket hitch. I hope that people will be cautious and realize the limitations it presents while on this vehicle. A couple of 4-wheelers or jet-skis will probably be just fine on the right trailer. But you won't be (safely) hauling your race car to the drag strip on the weekends.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
the towing option- has that button- that when pressed-- changes the way the trans shift.
The most noticeable thing- is that it holds a gear longer- before shifting to the next gear.

Try it---- turn on the tow option --- and drive gently down a street... note the RPM's... then turn it off-- and youll see the trans shifts.

Also changes the way the alternator charges the battery (and a possible battery on the item your towing).

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The Key issue is if you do not get the factory installed tow package. Then your safe tow rating is only around 2000/2500 pounds.

The factory installed tow package is a great value as it and increases the towing capacity to 5200 pounds.

It can NOT be installed after the fact. So any dealer or anyone who claims different is lying.

The tow package adds a transmission cooler , which allows the Traverse computers to Increases the transmission line pressure and change the shift points which allows for the added power needed to safely tow 5200 pounds.

Plus variable voltage alternator is added to allow for more power to supply the trailer for charging and electric brakes.

All with the push of the button.

There is no way to get this package added in the aftermarket. The big thing is even if you added all the above parts you would have to do a custom tune on the engine and transmission to get it to where it needed to be to tow 5200 pounds.

The tuning alone would cost big money I have not looked it up but you would easily be in the $1500, to 2000 for a tune and all the parts if not more and you would not be able to switch it on and off the tune would be a one way deal.

So in short get the factory installed one.. This was the only option I went looking for when we bought our LS only the lot package the dealers have around here has the Two and remote start so that's all my options.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
very good description Big Blue

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
"The tuning alone would cost big money I have not looked it up but you would easily be in the $1500, to 2000 for a tune and all the parts if not more and you would not be able to switch it on and off the tune would be a one way deal".

BIGBLUE ... $1500 to $2000 would translate to 15 to 20 F.R.H's, based on $100 per F.R.H., which is admittedly on the lean side of business dollars today. That is a gang of hours.

What kind of "tune" work would be done for 15 to 20 hours, what would be done .... and what would be your source of information on this ?

Bob

·
Registered
248 Posts
:) If it can be done here is someone you could ask tuning questions to http://www.blackbearperformance.com/
I am sure there it much more to it that simply installing a hitch & Trans cooler the suspension and a breaking were tuned for the added weight.

8) Steve

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
bobg1951chevy said:
"The tuning alone would cost big money I have not looked it up but you would easily be in the $1500, to 2000 for a tune and all the parts if not more and you would not be able to switch it on and off the tune would be a one way deal".

BIGBLUE ... $1500 to $2000 would translate to 15 to 20 F.R.H's, based on $100 per F.R.H., which is admittedly on the lean side of business dollars today. That is a gang of hours.

What kind of "tune" work would be done for 15 to 20 hours, what would be done .... and what would be your source of information on this ?

Bob
Oh no my intention is the whole project would cost between 1500 to 2000 all the parts oil cooler hitch plus any beefing up the charging system. IE in the past I have switched out GM alternators with the Police versions alternators they are higher output. You just have to figure out how to mount them sometimes.

Tuning also usually cost more if they do not have a base tune for your type of vehicle.

My point is though it would cost way more than getting the Factory install one so pony up the money when you buy :)

·
Registered
201 Posts
I believe i have stated this before but here goes again. The tow rating is 2000 lbs no matter what you add to a non tow package equipped vehicle. Adding equipment can violate your warranty. I have a double jetski trailer with 2 skis the trailer is aluminum the 1 ski weighs around 500 lbs the other 850 lbs withe the trailer total about 1800 lbs add gear over 2000 lbs .

If you are going to or thinking of towing make sure you get the tow package. GM advised use at the launch that you can not add the tow package to increase the towing capacity.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Lots of good information regarding towing. I just purchased a 2008 Outlook XR and interestingly it has the factory tow button that when pressed changes the way the transmission shifts, however it did not have a hitch. I had an aftermarket hitch and wiring installed for $500. I do very light towing so did not need the factory tow package. I'm just curious, with my vehicle having the tow button, is there a chance I have the other factory tow package options you refer to IE: hd cooler etc? How can I find out?

Thanks.

Randy

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I suspect the dealer forgot to put the hitch on or someone took it off.

If you have the button you have the tow package.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
did you buy it used?
That is odd-- that youre missing the tow hitch...
Check to see if your glovebox has the code for the tow package.
I suspect that the hitch may have been removed and sold....
if you bought it new--- thats really odd.

·
Registered
201 Posts
If you purchased the vehicle new than I would go back on the dealer. You are supposed to get ALL equipment on the build sheet with the exception of wheel exchanges.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
danthechevyman said:
I believe i have stated this before but here goes again. The tow rating is 2000 lbs no matter what you add to a non tow package equipped vehicle. Adding equipment can violate your warranty. I have a double jetski trailer with 2 skis the trailer is aluminum the 1 ski weighs around 500 lbs the other 850 lbs withe the trailer total about 1800 lbs add gear over 2000 lbs .

If you are going to or thinking of towing make sure you get the tow package. GM advised use at the launch that you can not add the tow package to increase the towing capacity.
This idea of the "OPTIONAL" trailering package is a BIG BLUNDER on the part of Chevrolet / GM. This package should have been "standard equipment" as it was on the TrailBlazer.

It appears some sales folks have "misinformed" the customer, giving the customer the hope / idea this option could be installed, after the fact. " Buy out of stock .... service can install the hitch later" is the phrase I heard.

A customer is then "burned and screwed" because the intent of the vehicle ( 5000# of towing ) cannot be accomplished.

Who, then, accepts responsibility after the fact?

Bob

1 - 20 of 30 Posts