Traverse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have alot of conflicting information from GM. I am about to purchase an LT1 and the salesman says no problem to tow the 4000 lbs I need. Now I find out that without the tow package the Traverse can only tow 2000 lbs. He did not offer me the towing package.

Is the package really necessary, and if so what comes in it to order from the parts counter.

Thanks
JT

·
Registered
73 Posts
The towing package comes on the vehicle from the factory. When I got my Outlook almost 2 years ago, I wanted to add the TP but was told that the dealer was not allowed to install it. You would need a new fuse box (which has been done under warranty for others), the tranny cooler, hitch, wiring, switch on the dash to go into towing mode (changes the transmission shifting for towing). You can have an after market done by someone, but you wont get warranty coverage from GM if something goes wrong or breaks.

The towing capicity (4500 with towing package, 2000 with out) is for what your towing and the driver. Anything else you add into the vehicle must be subtracted from the 4500/2000 - including passengers and cargo.

Salesman should have been more upfront about this. If you are within 30 day purchase period, take it back and get one that has the towing package is my only suggestion. I put the hitch on mine but I only use it for a bike rack.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes the package is needed to tow more than 2000 lbs. During a video conference I specifically asked if it could be added and was told no by the reps on the video. They basically said it was to complex I guess that means to many systems involved. Some food for thought as far as the warranty goes GM could void it if you exceed the specs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Shoestring,

Get the towing package. I did not but, since i have a 2007 Tundra Double Cab that can tow 10500 im not concerned at least for me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Specs for towing are 5200 lbs with the tow package. The most of any crossover that I'm aware of. Need more and you'd have to consider a full frame SUV, like a Tahoe, which can tow over 8000 lbs, or a truck which most tow around 10,000 lbs.

I got the tow package, because I do tow sometimes. Rare, but I do. But, I like the idea of extra cooling, since where I live reaches above 100 degrees every year during the summer. Every vehicle I've ever owned that did not have towing and/or cooling increases has had trouble keeping in operating range during those days.

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
in another thread- we had discussed how the factory tow package (I think its was about $400 or $600).... is a BARGAIN for the amount of stuff you get.
hitch, pre wired, bigger radiator, and other stuff...
do this on your own--- and it will cost way more..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts