Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a realtivley new Treverse owner. Got my spring edition 2LT AWD at the end of June. Ever since then mg gas Milagros hasn't been to impressive. I do a lot of city driving the best ive seen is 14 and that was once . Right now i have 12. I know about fast starts, i try to coast. I was expecting better than I've been getting. And since this is my only real complaint [i otherwise love my Treverse] , this really bothers me.
Any and all suggestions welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
324 Posts
Since you know about the driving techniques, about all you can do is wait for the engine and drivetrain to loosen up. I still find it hard to believe, but my 2010 AWD has continued to improve in gas mileage, at well over 20,000 miles. Synthetic oil in the engine and transmission may help.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Whereas I will take a different approach. Our 08 Enclave made minimal, if any, mileage improvement over time. Actually, I have never had a vehicle change much after it is "broken in". I think your issue is simply a byproduct of starting and stopping a 5000lb vehicle a lot.

·
Registered
80 Posts
solo377 said:
I'm a realtivley new Treverse owner. Got my spring edition 2LT AWD at the end of June. Ever since then mg gas Milagros hasn't been to impressive. I do a lot of city driving the best ive seen is 14 and that was once . Right now i have 12. I know about fast starts, i try to coast. I was expecting better than I've been getting. And since this is my only real complaint [i otherwise love my Treverse] , this really bothers me.

Thanks
ask rbarrios.... ;D

·
Registered
37 Posts
I do mostly suburbia driving (so a lot of stopping and starting, but not quite as bad as in a big city), and my mpg averages 16. It is kind of depressing, my husband's big quad-cab 4X4 pickup truck gets 14 mpg on average, you'd think the traverse would be able to far exceed that, but alas...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
The Traverse relies heavily on it's aerodynamics and 6 speed transmission to save gas.

In traffic and not moving or moving slow it's just another big SUV and uses gas as such.

The highway millage will even fall if it's windy as it looses some of it's aerodynamic advantages.

You can cheat the gas millage in the city but you have to be real good with the shift button and have the transmission in L.

Always shift the transmission up when the RPM's go to high. This is a real pain to do but I was curious.

all the same tricks apply for saving gas.

1. The millage should go up some as it ages so keep track of it.

2. Try a different gas station / brand. Gas is not just gas some stations sell a better product. Some gas station just have old tanks and the fuel sucks from being in there. Crappy gas burns faster the engine simply needs more to get the same power.

3. Add fuel treatment regularly. Ie injector cleaners couple times a month and water treatment two ot three times of year. The water comes from the bad gas stations. Water tends to stay in the tank and over time builds up. The water treatment bonds to the water and will cause it to burn out through the engine. I learned this on the hard way. I had one car we drove for 15 years that would stop running at a half tank over and over. Half the tank was water when took it off and dumped it. It built up over time.

4. Check your tire pressure every few weeks don't rely on Onstar as it's reports are off form my real pressures anyways. A half pound low tire pressure can make a difference over enough time unchecked.

5. Remove the junk in the trunk. Less weight the better. With allot of space inside we tend to carry stuff in the back just because we don't want to be bothered to remove it. IE hockey equipment/ Golf Clubs that box of books you keep meaning to take to moms..

6. Control the foot. How you drive the Traverse makes a big difference. It seems to like controlled predictable throttle changes.
Not to hard but not to slow aim for the middle and it delivers. I had a 5 cyc Colorado crew cab before and it weighed less and showed slightly lower millage numbers then the Traverse. I save on average of $15 a week with the Traverse as it is way better then the Colorado was. I was surprised actually.

But I did have to figure out how to drive the Traverse for the millage and if I get careless it starts burning gas faster. I can tell this just form the gas gauge too.

·
Registered
860 Posts
odypilots said:
Since you know about the driving techniques, about all you can do is wait for the engine and drivetrain to loosen up. I still find it hard to believe, but my 2010 AWD has continued to improve in gas mileage, at well over 20,000 miles. Synthetic oil in the engine and transmission may help.
Per the owner's manual, the fluid in the transmission is synthetic.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
bowtie said:
ask rbarrios.... ;D
Do I count? I dont have an AWD. Mines FWD.

But one thing missing from the original post is---Have you reset the DIC's MPG meter and have you done the hand calculation for MPG?
I didnt see him mention where he lives (hilly?)

Hes going to have to give us more info on how gently he accelerates. His definition of gentle may not be my definition of gentle.
But I live here in Los Angeles- so I hit traffic all the time. How youre getting 12 MPG is surprissing.

PLease tell us what your tach shows for the 1-2 shift and the 2-3 shift.

·
Registered
126 Posts
solo377 said:

Thanks
I get low gas mileage also with mine around town. Had a long range trip and have gotten 24 MPG was gone for a whole week on highway and mountians and avg. 21 that week was happy with this. now that I home back to the 13 to 14 mpg.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
Go on the highway, set your cruise control at 65MPH, or 100km/h depending where you live, and reset the DIC. You should easily see 23MPG on your DIC. If you get this, then you know that your Traverse is running the way it should be.

If you get "good" highway mileage, using the above senario, then you just have to try and tweak your city driving habits.

Everyones version of "easy on the pedal" is different. I generally let the Traverse around 2000RPM +-200RPM.

My wifes version of an easy acceleration is 2600-2800RPM. I get much better mileage than my wife does. She "just drives" and I consider myself a bit of a hyper-miler.

Tonight for instance, I reset my DIC when I left the house, and drove 80%/20% hwy/city and got 26.3MPG. We had one heck of a storm blowing today, so I think it could have been better, but I'm happy with that. Keep in mind, I set the cruise at 100km/h.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Quantum, is yours an AWD? It seems the AWD Traverses get much worse gas mileage than the FWD ones. The best highway mileage I've gotten is 19, and that was with cruise set.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Ours is an AWD and my wife has been averaging 17-18 commuting to work (about 11 miles each way), and on a 460 mile trip I got close to 23 one one run.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
First off I'd like to thank everyone who responded.

Next I'd like to say that i don't use the shifter on the Treverse. I tried a few times was not good at it at all,didn't want to damage the transmision so i stopped my feeble attempts.

I don't live in a hilly area. I've been known to have a lead foot on acceleration but I've been trying to change that. I also have been trying to coast more. I do reset my dic after I fill up. I recently did this and I'm getting 11.9 mpg. Not to happy with that.

I'm going to try and implement some of your suggestions, wish me luck. :binky:

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
PLease keep us updated on this.
11.9.... I cant imagine getting that.
Try very hard to accelerate similar to what I posted... and let is know if you see any difference.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Is it possible your AWD is for some reason ON all the time? glitch?

·
Registered
186 Posts
rbarrios - or someone - hopefully i'm not sounding stupid, but isn't our AWD, if we in fact have AWD, enabled passively all the time? I didn't know that we could, or should, disable it... :confused: :help:

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
I dont know... thats why I myself was asking..
Its possible its the type of system that senses slippage and then sends torque to the rear etc....
I dont know if its FULL time all wheel drive....
I think its subaru that has that.......
I know theres different types of AWD.

·
Registered
115 Posts
staciesbaby said:
rbarrios - or someone - hopefully i'm not sounding stupid, but isn't our AWD, if we in fact have AWD, enabled passively all the time? I didn't know that we could, or should, disable it... :confused: :help:
The only thing I could tie to this is if a wheel speed sensor is messed up, thinks one of the wheels is slipping and is doing something like applying the brakes to one wheel to slow it down. I think you would feel that in odd handling however if it were continually happening.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts