Traverse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the books about doing the trade-in as a separate deal after you've gotten the dealer's best price on the new vehicle you're going to buy.

I'd like to hear what did. What worked for you to get what you felt was a fair value for your trade-in?
Or, looking back on it, what do you wish you should have done -- or not done?

I'm most interested in dealer trade-in, not say, Car Cash -- but I'll listen to any suggestions.

I'm on the verge of buying (either a Traverse or Mazda CX-9, to be honest -- whoever gives me the best deal), and so the time is near when I'll have to show my trade-in hand. And it ain't exactly a full-house.

I got a 1999 manual trans white Hyundai Sonata, with 105,000 miles.
It runs well, is fairly clean, with no major blemishes inside or out. But yes, it's a 10-year-old car, and has its share of nicks and slightly worn fabric.

I'm not expecting to get $5,000 in trade. I'd be very happy with $2,000, and will settle for less. KBB value is around $1,700. Newspaper ads have people asking $2,000 to $2,300 for them.

Thanks!

[/color]

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here is how we handle trades on new cars with the incentives and offers out there you get the price of your vehicle and then we will appraise yours. We appraise vehicles as though we were just cutting you a check for them so our pricing is reflective of the current market( auctions wholesale prices). In t=my short time in the business I have found this to be a far representation of trades. We look at the cost of what it will take to get the vehicle ready for RETAIL, inspections, certification, and repairs. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Dan - I appreciate you being among the first to be helpful on this subject.
What you said does sounds straightforward and fair, and if I feel that's what my dealer's doing, I can live with the results, be what they may.

Still, I've heard very wide results in my travels through carland.

Some people have felt the dealer beat down the price of their trade-in, to squeeze a little extra profit for the dealership.
On the other hand, I've heard in some lucky -- maybe rare -- cases that dealers have inflated (or seemed to, anyway) the trade-in price way up over Kelly Blue Book as a way to get the buyer to close the deal.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have seen it go both ways used is a little different then new as there is sometimes more wiggle room.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Do date, my experience is that the Kelly Blue Book and NADA trade-in values are much higher than what dealers want to offer. I haven't decided if I'm going to the wrong dealers or the "blue book" guys are ill informed of the market.

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you do a trade in calculation from the GM web sites, like chevy.com you'll get the "Black Book" trade in value. Most places use the Black Book amount instead of KBB or Edmunds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Okay here is the deal I got when I traded in my 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4 cylinder, (it was paid off) I clean it so they would be able to sell it as soon as I dropped it off... I did the KBB thing and the trade in for the good condition was 7600 in good condition, but I had a check engine light on, so I went in with 7000 as acceptable to me... I was buying a 2009 Pontiac G8, the MSRP was 29K but with my banks Car buying service go it at 24.5K, then we talked about my trade, the guy comes back with 7K... so I tell them to throw in their fees and we have a deal... I ended up getting 7,800 for the trade. this was in Nov....

Last week we took my wife's Toyota Highlander in kbb 17,500, we were willing to walk away with 15,500 because of the drama with Toyota right now (12,800 was payoff... Traverse Invoice 29.9... so after wheeling and dealing all was said and done, walked out the door with a 22,500, after 16, for the trade...

The best advice I can give you is do your research, and if you are willing travel you can usually get a good deal... I drove 5 hours to buy my Tacoma, 2.5 hours for my G8, and almost drove 4.5 hours to buy the Traverse, but took the deal I was getting from the dealer 4.5 hours away to the local guy and he gave me the same deal... And when you feel like you can't wheel and deal anymore, tell them that if they give you what you want, you will give them a completely satisfied on the survey... I did and they drop another grand off the deal...

Good Luck

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: Pretty much the same thing I traded in a 2002 Chevy Avalanche clear title one owner very clean with 30,000 miles on it one of the guys at the dealership had it sold for before the Traverse came in so we got a 2010 Traverse demo for two days. I did that because I got the 11,000 I wanted for the trade.

8) Steve

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think it depends a bit on your trade in value... I've never traded in a car worth more than a few thousand and brought it up from the start. But maybe if you had a $15k vehicle you might approach it differently?

We are on the verge of getting our 2011 Traverse (probably tomorrow), and are trading in a 2003 Elantra GT... It has just over 100k miles, outdated inspection sticker and a rattle in the transmission lol... KBB for fair is $2125, and up front they offered $2300k for it as a trade in. As part of the negotiating, we are now at $2900 (excellent KBB is $3050). Basically we are at $600k under invoice price and instead of showing a sub-invoice price on the car, the manager just added it to the trade in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
For my lease with my traverse that I got today. I had a 2006 HHR that I owed 6800 on, Blue book was about 6800, but the back seat had some pretty big stains for when the kids were smaller (needless to say thay will not happen in the Traverse :). Anyways, sales person came back with 6,000 politely said I need it paid off "went to see the manager" and paid off the amount. I was happy with that. Car had 65,000 and like I said interior had seen better days

1 - 10 of 10 Posts