Traverse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how many gallons this Traverse holds? I just put 22gallons in it and had to be near empty.

Attachments

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yikes! The capacity as shown in the manual is 22 gallons. You must have been running on fumes! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice! I knew I was close. All the thing said for 40miles was "Range Low" on how many miles I had left.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Did anybody with less than a 1/4 tank try to start on a steep incline withe the nose higher than the rear? On the Acadia's, the gas tank is long and slender. With the design, when you are low on gas while on the incline nose high, the fuel pick-up is unable to suction any fuel and it can't be started. Might be a good idea to take a look at the design so you guys don't have any problems.

Since the tank is 22 gallons, it is larger (Acadia's have only 18 or so). I wasn't able to find a picture online.

·
Registered
79 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Since the tank is 22 gallons, it is larger (Acadia's have only 18 or so). I wasn't able to find a picture online.
My Acadia owner's manual says the tank is 22 and I know I've put at least 20 in it. The info below is pasted from the 2007 Acadia owner's manual.

Capacities and Specifications
The following approximate capacities are given in English and metric conversions. See Recommended
Fluids and Lubricants on page 511 for more information.
Application
Capacities
English Metric
Air Conditioning Refrigerant R134a
For the air conditioning system refrigerant charge
amount, see the refrigerant caution label located
under the hood. See your dealer/retailer for more
information.
Cooling System 12.0 qt 11.4 L
Engine Oil with Filter 5.5 qt 5.2 L
Fuel Tank 22.0 gal 83.3 L
Transmission Fluid 9.5 qt 9.0 L
Wheel Nut Torque 140 lb ft 190Y

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I posted the pic up at my first posting. I took the pic at the time becasue I couldnt believe it. My luckyass shouldve been walking on the side of the road. :happy:

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
$2.34 for gas???
were at $2.90 out here in LA.....
1st thing I do when I get a new car... is calculate #'s for the tank and fuel gauge.
that way I know how long I can go before I run out of gas etc---/

looks like you were running on fumes... and even those were low.

·
Registered
73 Posts
medicrxdoc said:
Did anybody with less than a 1/4 tank try to start on a steep incline withe the nose higher than the rear? On the Acadia's, the gas tank is long and slender. With the design, when you are low on gas while on the incline nose high, the fuel pick-up is unable to suction any fuel and it can't be started. Might be a good idea to take a look at the design so you guys don't have any problems.

Acadias are 22, all of the lambdas are 22, and they are all designed the same.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that gas was from Kroger w/ my perks of $.50 off per gallon. $2.85 was the original price per gallon.

·
Registered
381 Posts
stumpk said:
that gas was from Kroger w/ my perks of $.50 off per gallon. $2.85 was the original price per gallon.
At least you got the max discount them.

khansen30 said:
Acadias are 22, all of the lambdas are 22, and they are all designed the same.
Good. Then I have a few gallons to spare then.....ok, maybe I won't push that envelope.

·
Registered
37 Posts
My first fillup was 23.252 gallons, on a stretch of the PA Turnpike in which a service plaza was unexpectedly closed. I was sweating bullets.

·
Registered
46 Posts
ramjet said:
My first fillup was 23.252 gallons, on a stretch of the PA Turnpike in which a service plaza was unexpectedly closed. I was sweating bullets.
How is possible to put 23.2 gallons on a 22-gallon tank? On a different car?

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
its possible--- the tank is rated at 22 gallons to the top...
but continue filling-- to fill up the neck--- until it practically hits the gas cap--- and Id guess you can squeeze in another gallon or so...??

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think it's pretty common for the rated capacity to be a little less than the actual, and I definitely topped it off. I don't recommend anyone counting on getting that much out of a tank. :)

·
Registered
417 Posts
What I found really interesting was the tank shape. Peer under your Traverse sometime. The tank stretches from the front of the vehicle to the back and seems quite thin and shallow. Talk about using every inch of a vehicle! I guess this also helps with weight distribution. Not sure all the reasons, but it seemed interesting to me.

As far as getting over 23 gallons in a 22 gallon tank, did anyone consider the filler tube? Depending on it's length I'd guess the tube alone would hold a gallon or more of fuel too.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Interesting about the tank shape -- I've never looked at it.

Not to start a "My fillup is bigger than your fillup" contest here, but I do sense some skepticism about my experience with the Traverse tank. Today I was running on E and put 22.482 in the tank. I took a picture for you skeptics but don't know how to insert it so trust me for now.

This was definitely topped off, as full as it could get without spilling out. I would say that I put about 3/4 of a gallon in after the auto pump shutoff. In addition, my last check of the DIC's range calculator indicated I had about 24 miles to empty when I hit the gas station. Not sure what fuel consumption rate it uses to calculate that -- Avg MPG? current MPG? (but what if you're stationary?) -- but figure about a gallon left if it's going to take me that far. So 23.25 is probably in the ball park if you've maxed out the fill tube.

You figure there's gotta be a cushion in the capacity listing just to avoid complaints ("You said it held 22 gallons but I was out of gas an it only took 21.6..."). Personally, finding out it took an extra gallon was no fun, so 22's a great planning figure in my book...

OK, I guess I did figure out how to post a pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Man, RJ -- you do like living on the edge, huh? How many days did you drive around with the low-fuel warning light on? :happy:
I used to try get nearly every last drop out of my tank, in my old car.
Until one day, I hit bottom, and had to push it a quarter-mile to the gas station (fortunately, it was almost all down hill).
Now, I mostly consider the 3/4-empty mark as bingo fuel and time to fill back up.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Days? Are you kidding? With the miles I put on running my kids around, it's a question of how many TIMES A DAY I have to fill up!

Well, I exaggerate, slightly.

I've come to trust the range indicator on the DIC, and where I live you're never far from a gas station, so driving locally I tend to get it to E before I fill up. When the DIC switches to "RANGE LOW" I pull in. But on the highway, your strategy is a good one.

I Flew to Detroit to pick up my Traverse from the dealership where my brother works, and drove it back to Virginia via the PA Turnpike. I had about 50 miles on it when I left Detroit. I planned to hit a particular service plaza but found it closed, so I sweated bullets until I hit the next one at Somerset -- that was my 23.25 gallon fill, the first gas I'd put in the car. A month later, we drove to Detroit for Thanksgiving, and left on the return with a full tank. The DIC showed I could make it to Somerset with about 20 miles to spare, so I didn't gas up at the 1/4 mark. Then: a massive traffic jam that left us in a crawl for miles, as I watched the gas disappear. I finally bailed at an exit just two miles before the Somerset plaza, regretted it as I got in a line about 5 deep at the nearest gas station, then patted myself on the back for my sage wisdom when we got back on the Turnpike and found the exit into the Somerset plaza -- and its gas pumps -- backed up about a half mile onto the interstate. If we had stayed on the road, we'd have made it to the plaza but not through the line at the pumps!

Now -- on the highway -- I employ your strategy, because I don't want to push my vehicle in either direction. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ramjet is right. I went 21 miles after the low fuel message came on and filled up to the lip at 22.8 gallons. I have done 22.6 three times before that. I'm guessing the tank maybe 23.5 gallons but not willing to wait on road side assistance to prove it. :happy:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Did anybody with less than a 1/4 tank try to start ........

Yes,

Started the Traverse (09') LT AWD to warm it up (here in MN), brushed off the snow because it was parked overnight at my house (incline). The vehicle stopped while I was clearing off the snow. The period of time to run was approx. 5 minutes.

Tried to fire it up the normal way (key), wouldn't go. Had a suspision it was fuel-related. I lucked out because I had a 6-gallon emergency supply in my storage shed. Once I thought I had approx. 3 gallons poured, pushed the button on the remote, stumbled and started. I retrieved the information on the computer related to the amount of fuel used and the mileage driven. See below..
16.6 Gallons Used
248 Miles Driven

I went to the gas station afterwards to make sure I wasn't robbed of any gas. Was able to fill 13.1 gallons.

My math shows (Tank) 22 Gallons - 16.6 Gallons Used = 5.4 Gallons Left in the Tank + 3 (approx. gallons) if filled by emergency tank + 13.1 gallons registered on the pump = 21.4 Gallons
I think the fuel pick-up needs adjustment based on my findings. 5.4 Gallons is just under 1/4 tank.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts