Traverse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After washing the Traverse tonight I wanted to check the oil. I pulled the release handle and the hood clicked, but didn't pop up. This is not unusual for my Traverse, it seems that if you don't open the hood for a few days, it won't pop open when you pull the release. If you pull the release handle just after you have closed the hood, it will pop up an inch or so.

Anyways, tonight it performed as usual, so I walked to the front and reached my hand in to push on the lever to release the hood. That worked fine, but my hood only opened another inch and then got stuck. It appeared as though the drivers side hinge was stuck. It made knocking noise like painted metal against painted metal. I tried a bit harder to open the hood, and still nothing. I jiggled as much as I could to see if it would come loose. Nothing.

At this point I thought I would bring it to the dealer. Then I figured they will probably (without me looking) just lift harder on the hood. So with that in mind, I tried lifting again. I gave it a good lift and it popped open. No scraping, creaking or snapping sound. Just needed a solid lift. Now it seems to work fine again.

Has anyone else had this? Does anyone else have the same issue with the hood not popping up when you pull on the release?

Also noticed the alignment on the drivers side of the hood (by the hinge) is not as tight as the passenger side. It still looks good though.

Eager to hear some input.

·
Registered
11,573 Posts
no, have not had this issue.
it always pops up nicely.
I would double check the moving parts-- and maybe lube them....

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have something kind of similar happen with my hood, but is probably unrelated. When I go to open my hood, if it hasn't been open in a while, the windshield washer tube on the hood that runs over the engine tends to stick to it. The tube's insulation seems to mold and stick to the plastic engine cover. I just figured since mine was salvaged title it was missing a clip or something. As it peals off (its not melted or anything) it make a slight sound that could be mistake for something rubbing.

I believe this actually caused one of the washer sprayers to break one side of its tabs that keep it in place. I replaced it and it hasn't broken since. But I tube does still stick.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I suspect your hood release cable is bad. It may have been crushed or kinked and that is why it never worked right.

Take it in and have them fix it under warranty

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
Quantum-
I have read your post about having a difficult time opening the hood on your Traverse. Have you had to open the hood of your vehicle since you posted your situation on the forum?

I, too, recommend that if you have a hard time opening your hood again, having it looked at by the service department at your Chevrolet dealership. I would be happy to assist you with setting up an appointment with them if you would like. Please, keep me updated with any new information on your situation.

Michelle P-Chevrolet Customer Service

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its funny, because the hood pops up a bit, like MAYBE 1/4", then I have to lift it some more to get my hand in to release the safety latch. Today I tried it again, felt like it was still catching on something when I tried lifting the hood. I'm wondering if its catching on some of the plastic moulding around the drivers side headlamp. If it become a big problem, I still have lots of warranty time left. Obviously this is an isolated incident, not an across the board, everyone's affected type of thing.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
I have had hoods do this on other cars. I found it was usually due to the hood and it's paint on the underside, sticking to the bump stops. Try cleaning off your bumpstops. Maybe there is something sticky on them, or they put the hood on, and shut it completely before the clear had cured. Now obviously this will only help the initial hood pop up to be realeased by the hand, not the further sticking while trying to open the hood completely.

·
Registered
417 Posts
This is interesting, because I was impressed with the clean design of the hood on the Traverse. I'll be interested in hearing what did cause the sticking if you ever find out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts