Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2010 Traverse with a towing package and want to buy a hitch cargo carrier. Most of them say "Class ____" (anywhere from I - V) . What does that mean, and what class is the Traverse?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
P.S. Here's an example of the wording on a carrier at Harbor Freight's website: "Fits all standard Class III and IV 2" receivers". I can't find anywhere anything about the class of the Traverse.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
The Traverse has a class III hitch. But for your purposes, it is equal to a class IV hitch. Its a 2" receiver, vs. the small 1 1/4" or the bigger 2.5" receiver. The class rating is for weight restrictions. But since you are looking at a cargo rack, I wouldn't worry too much. You can load it down to 500lbs.

·
Registered
150 Posts
For a cargo carrier, you will merely be concerned with the 2" receiver size.

The label rating on your hitch will tell you how much weight it can handle. Read this in conjunction with the owners manual of the vehicle and the weight ratings both vehicles, including axle ratings. Don't exceed any of them (you likely won't with just a cargo carrier).

As Quantum has mentioned, the hitch on your Traverse is Class III.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone! I just ordered a carrier and appreciate your replies!! Now for one more question. I'm getting ready to order a locking hitch pin and see they are either 1/2" or 5/8". Can't find anywhere which size I need. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
78 Posts
KCNCPORTER said:
Thank you everyone! I just ordered a carrier and appreciate your replies!! Now for one more question. I'm getting ready to order a locking hitch pin and see they are either 1/2" or 5/8". Can't find anywhere which size I need. Does anyone know?
5/8" is the size used in 2"x2" receiver bars (what the factory hitch takes).

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
KCNCPORTER said:
I bought a lock at Wal Mart.
It appears to be able to be used on 2 size hitches. As it comes with a removable metal sleeve that fits perfectly for the hitch on the traverse.
If I need it on a small hitch-- I remove the sleeve and it now fits in a smaller hole.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts