Traverse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2018 Chevy Traverse with 54,000 miles on it. In the last month, I have had to take it in 3 different times because my AC stopped blowing cool air. It started with intermittent hissing and then would blow warm air for a few seconds and come back. Then it totally stopped blowing cool air. I had the Freon recharged, and the AC heads changed ($450), then a week later the same issue. I then had the back evaporator changed ($1100), and now it is out again. My mechanic is even frustrated with my car as it has the new expensive Freon and has said multiple times that my car should not be having this many issues with the good condition it is in. I am very frustrated and I am tired of driving a hot car with two small children under the age of 6 in it when we are still in the hot season in Texas. Anyone else have these issues? If so any other fixes?

·
Registered
2015 Traverse LT AWD
306 Posts
Did the mechanic put dye in the system to look for leak? I don't know about the newer models, but older version of Traverse has a habit of developing pin hole on the AC line at the back. An expensive item to replace because it is a long continuous rigid line from front to back.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Scuze my Egnertz but, what are "A/C heads??. Also, why was the rear evaporator changed?

I also live here in the Promise Land and it do get a mite warm....on occasions. And also, the "new" freon is expensive.

All the above garbage being said find someone else to evaluate the system, from what U posted you're being "taken"....big time.

If push comes to shove bring the vehicle over to the house I'LL take a look.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
There have been very few AC issues reported on 2nd Gen's here on the forum.

Rear evaporator issues in the 1st gen's were due to copper from the fan motors brushes getting on the evaporator and causing pinhole leaks. Just had this issue on my 2017 (1st gen). Took them 3 tries to find it, as the leak was very small and difficult to see on the evaporator. But I don't recall anyone ever reporting a 2nd gen having this issue - they went to a brushless motor on the 2nd gens (2018+).

As superdave said - you need to have dye put in so they can actually see the leak. Otherwise, they are just throwing parts at it. Doesn't sound like you've got a reputable mechanic. If you've been going to a Chevy dealer, maybe try the Buick dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My 2011 did the same thing but my mechanic charged it and it's been fine ever since.... It was an inexpensive fix. Does it smell? Maybe your cabin filter needs changing.... Also if he overcharged it, that would also mess it up..I would definitely take it to a different mechanic.... Did he check the compressor?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts