Traverse Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HNY all,

Since I have had my 2011 Traverse, I have noticed that it requires you to really press down on the gas paddel to accelerate to highway speed. When I had my Dodge Truck or even my wife's Nissan, they got up to speed much faster than the Chevy Traverse. I was telling this to a friend about this and he stated that he has to do the same thing to get up to speed.
He just purchased a 2010 Silverado.
I just think it is strange that is takes so long to get to up highway speed, unless you want to have your foot in the gas tank. Does anyone else feel the same way. Or is it just how Chevy is?
:banghead:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Re: Hiway speed

I think it's whatever one is used to. I was thinking just the opposite, as the Traverse seems to accelerate "easier" than my 03 CTS did.
The Caddy was 'drive by wire', and I'm assuming the Traverse is also, so there's probably some bias setting someplace that has a lot to do with how much gas you get per centimeter of gas pedal movement. For as big and heavy as the Traverse is (relative to what I was driving previously) I'm pretty happy with it's response. The stopping distance is another matter however... I definitely will need to get used to that.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Your not the first person that mentioned the weight issue. I think my Dodge RAM is heavier thank the Traverse. I never had an issue getting it up to highway speed.
The Traverse just seems to take longer to get there. That is my issue. I was wondering if this was normal or not for Chevy. Based on my purchase and a friends purchase of a Silverado, it seems to us that Chevy both vehicles takes longer to get to highway speed. I notice the big difference when on the off ramp getting on the highway.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

It has to do more with the six speed transmission and getting use to it going through all the gears. Most older vehicles are 3 and 4 speeds autos.

So it takes the Traverse longer to get up to speed. Also they have the Traverse setup to maximize the fuel management.

All of this along with the ABS and StabiliTrak have all seemed to add a lag to the acceleration as well.

Also note the engine becomes more lively as it breaks in.

However once you get use to it there is no issue.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

BigBlueTraverse said:
It has to do more with the six speed transmission and getting use to it going through all the gears. Most older vehicles are 3 and 4 speeds autos.

So it takes the Traverse longer to get up to speed. Also they have the Traverse setup to maximize the fuel management.

All of this along with the ABS and StabiliTrak have all seemed to add a lag to the acceleration as well.

Also note the engine becomes more lively as it breaks in.

However once you get use to it there is no issue.
BigBlue,

Your right, the Traverse seems to lag during acceleration, but I am hoping that after the break-in period, that it will accelerate quicker. I only have 850 miles on it.
This is the only major thing that I have to get use to since this is my first new Chevy product. I will give it some time and revisit this issue later.
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
well i agree i drove to vegas this weekend and it does take a bit but not that bad. i do like that i got 22.1 mpg with an avearge speed of 64.2 mph

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
since you drove to vegas. once its broken in- I think youll get much better mileage.
When I drive to Santa Barbara or Buellton- Ill stay at about 65- and MPG will be in the 25-28 range. with a high of 30 MPH hand calculated.
Though on the way to Vegas- most people are doing 80-90... im surprissed you were in the 60's.
(I usually have 4 adults)..

But back to the slow acceleration- I also agree that it has to do with the trans.
But luckliy- when I merge on to the freeway- I usually only have to hit 3000-3500 RPM.

If you guys really have to accelerate.. I would do the following...
As youre nearing the onramp- place the shifter on L - then select 4 as the top gear.
When you merge- accelerate- once youre getting up to higher speeds--- the trans WILL NOT shift into 5th or 6th.
This can help keep you in that power band.
once youre up to speed- you can manually select 5 or 6... or shift back to D- at which point- your RPM's will drops and youll automatically go to 5/6

give that a try- see how that works

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
I can't say that I've really noticed this.

I guess I'm a fuel conscious driver, so I never have my foot into, other than yesterday, when I was coming home, I just wanted to get by some slow people on the highway. I was in the left lane, behind someone doing only 100km/h. I went to the right lane and was up to 145km/h before I knew it. I thought wow, this thing really moves. I didn't floor it, just put the pedal down 2/3 of the way. I think it down shifted to 4th and took off like a rocket. I'm very impressed with the 3.6L

I know my parents equinox has ECO mode on it, which reprograms the gas pedal to slower responsiveness. I wonder if the Traverse is programmed like this too, for fuel economy sake?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
highroller1700 said:
HNY all,
I just think it is strange that is takes so long to get to up highway speed, unless you want to have your foot in the gas tank. Does anyone else feel the same way. Or is it just how Chevy is?
:banghead:
Ok, I'll say it.
If you guys are worried about acceleration, yet don't want to have to fill up a "little" bit more often, then you just aren't being realistic. What else do you really want? The Traverse gets excellent fuel mileage for me, considering what it is, and you know what, I floor the thing about every third time I drive it. Now this isn't my daily driver, it's my wife's, but she doesn't drive like a slouch either. We get about 16mpg. in town, and we drive about 90% in town. **** I couldn't get 16mpg very easilly out of my V8 Grand Prix on the Highway. Now I know I'm probably one of the yougest ones on here, but I'm not affraid to give my vehicle a little speed every once in a while, and that's just the way I drive, and probably always will. Fuel mileage doesn't really mean jack to me. After all, I have what could be considered one of the most obvious ways to waste gas in the world anyways... a boat.

I don't mean to hurt anyone's feelings with this post, but I think if you really want fuel mileage, and that is your #1 concern, then you really don't have the room to complain about acceleration, if you aren't giving your vehicle all it has to accelerate with. You know it's good to give the vehicle full throttle every once in a while too. Maybe your's just needs to be cleaned out so to speak.
Also, I think my Traverse drives about like every other Chevy I've ever had (6). They have all had excellent acceleration in my eyes, for what they are.

sorry for my rant, and I hope I didn't rub anyone the wrong way.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
GPXWEASLE,

I am not offended about your rant. I found it quite entertaining at best. I am not one that take things for face value.
This is my primary vehicle that I drive daily. Coming from a HEMI V8 5.7 to a V6 3.6, there is quite a difference. When I wanted to get up to speed on my
HEMI, it was easily accomplished without me having to stick my foot all the way down on the gas padel. It was done more efficiently is my point.
In the Traverse, it seems to me that you really have to press down on the gas padel to get it going. That is what seems strange to me that when your coming off the off ramp, to merge into traffic, you really have to get down on the gas padel to blend into traffice at highway speed.
I know I am not the only one that feels this way about this Brand. I have a friend that has a Silverado and he mentioned the same thing to me. He also came from a HEMI.
After reading on here, I might need to wait until it is broken in and see if it changes. I also ready about shifting to the "L" and then manual shifting. I like both ideas and plan to start doing both.

Once again, I am not offended. But appreciate your input. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
rbarrios said:
since you drove to vegas. once its broken in- I think youll get much better mileage.
When I drive to Santa Barbara or Buellton- Ill stay at about 65- and MPG will be in the 25-28 range. with a high of 30 MPH hand calculated.
Though on the way to Vegas- most people are doing 80-90... im surprissed you were in the 60's.
(I usually have 4 adults)..

But back to the slow acceleration- I also agree that it has to do with the trans.
But luckliy- when I merge on to the freeway- I usually only have to hit 3000-3500 RPM.

If you guys really have to accelerate.. I would do the following...
As youre nearing the onramp- place the shifter on L - then select 4 as the top gear.
When you merge- accelerate- once youre getting up to higher speeds--- the trans WILL NOT shift into 5th or 6th.
This can help keep you in that power band.
once youre up to speed- you can manually select 5 or 6... or shift back to D- at which point- your RPM's will drops and youll automatically go to 5/6

give that a try- see how that works
My cruise was set at 72 for the most part the average speed was on the dic anyhow i am very pleased with how the traverse runs and the better mpg than my silverado.

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
Im not offended either.
My personnal thing is-- get the most MPG out of a gallon.
I do pretty good for city driving.. I like getting 19-21 MPG in city/hwy.
But- I have learned that around here- driving faster- is not going to get me there any quicker. (everyday commute)
Ive sat in traffic long enough to note that the car that was racing past me on the street to get on the freeway- 50 minutes and 15 miles later--- is 2 lanes over- still switching lanes like crazy. I just stay in 1 lane and stay there.
This morning drove by the nearest gas station to my house- Mobil $4.31 for REGULAR... dont know whats up with that. several blocks up gas was $3.31 at 76.

·
Registered
860 Posts
Remember something here people. The Traverse weighs 5000 pounds--as much as most full size trucks. The 3.6 is not a very torquey engine either, especially in the lower RPM range. Acceleration from a few MPH to freeway speeds is more a function of torque, not horsepower. And gearing in the Traverse does not favor quick acceleration either.

Okay, this next argument could go in many different directions, but I think it's worth mentioning.

Comparing this engine to a Dodge 5.7 Hemi or a 5.3 Chevy V-8--the 3.6 is giving up 2 cylinders and over 100 cubic inches. There's no replacement for displacement, right? Put some sort of forced induction on this engine and these acceleration and comparison issues go away. Fuel mileage won't suffer if a driver takes it easy in most situations. Late 90s/early 2000s GTP/Regal GS/Bonneville SSEi are prime examples of this with their supercharged 3.8s.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
highroller1700 said:
GPXWEASLE,

I am not offended about your rant. I found it quite entertaining at best. I am not one that take things for face value.
This is my primary vehicle that I drive daily. Coming from a HEMI V8 5.7 to a V6 3.6, there is quite a difference. When I wanted to get up to speed on my
HEMI, it was easily accomplished without me having to stick my foot all the way down on the gas padel. It was done more efficiently is my point.
In the Traverse, it seems to me that you really have to press down on the gas padel to get it going. That is what seems strange to me that when your coming off the off ramp, to merge into traffic, you really have to get down on the gas padel to blend into traffice at highway speed.
I know I am not the only one that feels this way about this Brand. I have a friend that has a Silverado and he mentioned the same thing to me. He also came from a HEMI.
Once again, I am not offended. But appreciate your input. :cheers:
I'm glad you weren't offended, because I don't want to come off that way. ;D
I have a question for you friend that has a Silverado. Is it a newer (07+) one, that has the 6 speed transmission also? Reason I ask is I have an '01 silverado with the 5.3L and the thing will accelerate really well. I don think that my dual exhaust, and CAI do that much for it, I think it is maybe the gearing, and back in '01, they didn't care as much about MPG in a full size truck. Especially one with the 5.3L and tow pkg. These things have definitely changed over the past 10 years. Arguably, more in the last 10 than in the previous 80. Maybe I'm just used to the Chevy thing too. The last time I drove anything other than a GM for a reasonable period of time, was back in college, and it was my boss' HD F-150. I can say though, my friends Hemi did scoot, and comparing that to any other 1/2 truck is going to be like comparing apples to oranges. :happy:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greg,

My friends Silverado is a 2010. He purchased it about 2 weeks after I got my 2011 Traverse.
As this is my first true Chey product and having owned other vechiles, this one has seems to have the
biggest noticable difference. Going between vehicles it was easily noticable. After all said and done, I do
LOVE my Traverse. :banana: :hyper: I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed what I noticed and what my friend noticed as well.
I did not think we were the only one that thought this way.
Gas here is $2.93 for regular as of this morning. :beatdown:

·
Registered
202 Posts
highroller1700 said:
Coming from a HEMI V8 5.7 to a V6 3.6, there is quite a difference.
You nailed it my friend. :D You figured out why a heavier automobile with less "cubic inches" of engine power "seems" slower to get up to highway speed. :happy:

Honeslty, compared to our previous truck, a 2007 Trailblazer with the 295hp 4.2L I6, the traverse is much more peppier and wants to jump off the line, as compared to the old Trailblazer.

And yes, I have another comparison too. My 425hp Pontiac G8 can throw me back in the seat anytime I want it to -- I can get up to 100 in no time flat in that car... and even so, the Traverse feels energetic and peppy, for what it is.

But back to highroller1700 ... perhaps your target automobile to replace your 5.7 Hemi would have been a GMC Yukon Denali with the 6.2L LS3 engine and 6-speed tranny, far superior to the Hemi powertrain, and really makes THAT heavy truck get up to speed fast! That would have been an upgrade in the power that you are used to.

When you cut the powerplant nearly in half, even with Direct Injection on the 3.6L, you should not expect similar performance! :eek:hno:

·
Registered
11,421 Posts
The Trailblazers were interesting...
In that they had torque management software.
You could get on the freeway--- floor it- and it would accelerate- but it always felt like you were dragging something heavy.
Once it reached a certain speed/RPM- its like whatever it was dragging let go--- and you then got this real strong PULL- you could feel the car effortlessly continue to pull and accelerate-- next thing you knew you were doing 90+
Many on the Trailblazer forums- had this torque management feature turned off via tunes.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I agree, factory torque management (especially with the 4wd gear) was to protect our new-then-factory-100k-powertrain warrantee.

Since the TB was my wife's ride, we kept it stock, at least as far as the ECM was concerned.

Good to know though, I had forgotten about all the nannies in the trailblazer, that could have explained the "drag". One would think that the Traverse would have similar or even more obsessive nannies, but I've found them to be quite "behind the scenes" and only activate when you've got white knuckles and skidding or sliding towards something that you'd rather not hit. :angel:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts