Traverse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, newly registered, but I've been visiting since my purchase back in the summer.
Had a question regarding the installation of HID's. Since the DRL are the low beam lamps would this have an effect on the HID performance or lifespan?? From what I understand the DRL are just a lower voltage signal to the headlight-would this have effects on the ballast or bulbs in the kit?
Any thoughts or comments would be welcome!! Thanks
Maybe if the weather ever breaks I will get to take some pictures--my Traverse is Black Granite with Ebony leather, 2LT with everything available, roof, nav, rear ent. all the bells and whisles!! I've got it debadged with black bowties so far!!

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
I think he meant adding aftermarket HIDs...

Im going to say that yes it does affect them....

I know that on the Trailblazers- the low beam is also the DRL.
People on the Trailblazer/Envoy forum who have installed HIDs- soon come back with complaints like--- My HIDs flicker. Or Ballast burned out...
I think it was because the DRL is a low voltage piecewise signal (you know it chops the 12 volts signal in certain places- so the voltage never reaches 12 but stays at lets say 5 volts)...
Anyways--- this low voltage causes the ballast to flicker--- come on and off or do funny stuff....

The fix is to disable the DRL....
On the trailblazer forum--- there was a guy who created- and sold what was called a DRL killer...
something you bought from him- installed- and away went your DRL's- and now you had happy HID's....

I dont know if his DRL killer was specifically built for the Trailblazer/Envoy DRL's circuit- or if it can be applied to other cars...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts