Traverse Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning with one thing to do, install my new HID lights. I started about 10, after some issues around 3 I had ONE side done! I LOVE the way they look and I am very happy with it. Tomorrow I will finish and post more pics. I went with H11 bulbs 6000k. Tomorrow will not take long to do the other side, now that I know what I am doing. If I had to do it all again, I'm sure I could do it in about two hours.

Here is the kit before I started.

First thing I did was disconnect the neg battery terminal located behind the passenger seat. Easy enough, you need a hex screw to remove the floor piece. Had to really pry at the the neg connect as it was really on there.

From there you have to remove the inner fender... VERY time consuming. I did not remove the wheels as I did not have jack stands. That would have made this install about 10 times easier, however you can turn the wheel all the way one direction and get in far enough. There are 4 screws (two of which are under the air dam), and 9 push clips that need to be removed. To remove the push clips you first remove the inner cap with a flat screw driver and they pull out the back with plyers. 4 of these clips are under the air dam so you have to get under the car.

Here it is removed and on my garage floor (sorry the car is dirty and the garage is dirty!

Once off you can get to the light rather easy. You will see the cap that you simply twist off.

From there remove the stock bulb, again twist and it will come out, then unplug.

You have to drill into the stock cap inorder to allow the light and wires to pass through. Not a big deal, I think my drill bit was 25mm. The rubber seal they provided fit nicely, however I am going to go get some kind of rubber sealant to make sure it is water tight. I will post pics of the cap with the hole I drilled tomorrow.

I mounted the ballast vertical under the hood close to the air box on the driver side, I have not yet mounted the passenger side. I will take pics of that when I am done and add them here. I did take off the plastic piece that runs alone the front of the engine bay, not sure what it is called. This allowed me better access to run the wires from the ballast down to the bulb. There were 10 push pins! same as in the wheel well. Also the rubber seal is connected on both sides.

You have to run the rely from the positive terminal under the hood to the ballast to fire up the bulbs. From what I am told you can also use the stock wire harness to pull power, I went the safe route.

Here are pics. As you can tell the driver side is HID the passenger side is stock. I will add a ton more pictures tomorrow after I finish the install. I am 100% saitisfied.

In the garage, not sure why the stock looks so orange in color, camera must have pulled alot of color from the front parking lights. You can see the cutoff line remains the same and inline with stock.

outside, it is snowing a tad. I will post better pics.

I will post more pics later tomorrow. Showing where the screws are located, where I mounted my ballast and how I ran the rely from the battery terminal. I could not find any step by step instructions on the web for installing a traverse HID. I did see one on the Acadia, however it was a tad off, but still very helpful. We have more screws and pins in different locations. I would not suggest installing HID if you dont have an 09 LTZ as these have the projector lights. If you do have the 09 LTZ or you install those lights I HIGHLY suggest this upgrade, in my opinion anyway.

I went for a quick drive, the difference is simply amazing. I also had the wife drive it towards my car, it was not blinding at all and you could 100% tell they were true HID not just bulbs. I also love how when you start the car they fire up, looks cool. I will try to remember to turn off the running lights as I dont need the HID's running during the day.

Any comments welcome, or if you want any pics or have any questions.

Reactions: 26458

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Simply awesome! Great write up and thanks for including pics. If I had projector lamps I would do the upgrade. Where did you get the HID's? Ebay?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I would guess that the color difference of the pictures comparing new/stock lights were caused when the camera set the exposure based on the new light's brightness and whiteness, making the stocker look orangish. I'd imagine a picture of two stock lights with the same camera would appear white.

·
Registered
248 Posts
:thumb: Very nice are you going to post pictures step by step of the install including were you installed the ballast & what the hole you drilled in the caps look like sealed up. I for one would like to check that out.

8) Steve

·
Registered
11,572 Posts
hmmmm...

so youre going to have to turn off thr DRL's every time you drive in the daytime?

I know there was a guy on the trailblazer forum- that made a DRL 'killer' that he actively sells to all the Trailblazer/Envoy/ GMT 360 members who install HIDs....

Leaving the DRL's--- seems to cause the HIDs to flicker-- as the ballast has trouble with the DRL's voltage.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
rbarrios said:
hmmmm...

so youre going to have to turn off thr DRL's every time you drive in the daytime?

I know there was a guy on the trailblazer forum- that made a DRL 'killer' that he actively sells to all the Trailblazer/Envoy/ GMT 360 members who install HIDs....

Leaving the DRL's--- seems to cause the HIDs to flicker-- as the ballast has trouble with the DRL's voltage.
No I dont HAVE to turn off the HID's during the day, I am just going to make an effort to do so because why have them on all day. I have driven around during the day for a couple of days, also had the wife drive behind me.... I have seen no flicker at all.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Tiestosteele said:
No I dont HAVE to turn off the HID's during the day, I am just going to make an effort to do so because why have them on all day. I have driven around during the day for a couple of days, also had the wife drive behind me.... I have seen no flicker at all.
Because its safer to drive with lights on! :) Especially if you have a silver or gray vehicle. In Canada DRL's are the law, and its amazing how great it is. Living close to the border, I am in the USA quite a often. You really get used the all cars having DRL's in Canada.

Also, children playing out in the street will notice headlamps a lot sooner than a car rolling up the street without.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quantum said:
Because its safer to drive with lights on! :) Especially if you have a silver or gray vehicle. In Canada DRL's are the law, and its amazing how great it is. Living close to the border, I am in the USA quite a often. You really get used the all cars having DRL's in Canada.

Also, children playing out in the street will notice headlamps a lot sooner than a car rolling up the street without.
Thanks for your opinion. Even when the lights are off the orange parking lights are always on.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I'd like to see better lights, but without the harsh white color. White is not a good color for human eyes (the Sun is yellow after all) White casts shadows on the road and cause more eye strain. For both the driver and other folks on the road.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chevy 2011 with Projector Beam Lens

Dear Tiestosteele,

I have recently bought Traverse, and just installed Head lamps with Projector Beams ( 2009 Model), now when I installed the HID Kit, I noticed that the light has been aligned on a stright line, but there is little light comes above this line, so is this case normal?

I noticed that this case is the same as your car, so I just need you advise in this issue...

thanks dude...

regards
ALLAZ

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, just curious about heat issues in the projector housing. I'm not new to this mod and have done it to just about every vehicle i've owned. Have the projector headlights held up to the extra heat from the HIDs?

Great write up, also!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have an 09 LTZ and have had the HIDs for a year now, and no problems with the heat in the projector housing, I did have an issue with heat when I had the ballast in the headlamp housing, there is enough room to have everything inside the housing and still have the twist on cover unmodified, but the heat build up fried 2 ballasts so I redid them the way it is on this thread. Brian

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks for the reply CM. I pulled the trigger earlier this week and plan to do the install soon. I always use the relay, but that's interesting you can fit it all in the housing. What did you do about the DRLs, just pull the fuse?

·
Registered
62 Posts
So, this being an old thread I figured this would be a good question to pose.

After 4 years of having HID headlights installed, how is it working out? Any issues? Would you do anything different?

Just curious because I'm about to order a kit very soon.

Thanks,
Kevin

1 - 18 of 18 Posts