Traverse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the market for a new Traverse and have test driven two separate Traverses, both with the 3.6L engine and 9-speed transmission. Both times when I pressed full throttle on the accelerator, there was a solid one second delay in the engine providing any power. Is this something that is normal post-break-in period? I know that the times of having hard acceleration in a three row SUV are rare, but it makes me concerned about passing and being able to quickly move if the situation called for it. Outside of this (and the somewhat small mirrors), we really like the Traverse, but this could be a dealbreaker.

Thank you all in advance!

(I'm from Orlando, Florida. People not knowing how to drive or who just drive recklessly are quite common around here, hence the question)

·
Registered
11,689 Posts
GM is known for using software to limit output in certain situations.
I have not driven a 3.6 with the 9 speed... but it could well be GMs way of limiting potential damage to the trans from hard starts.

on the 3.6 with the 6 speed-
(and im sure its similar on the 9 speeds- someone chime in)...
If youre on the road--- or say highway going along at say 60 in DRIVE.
youre in 6th gear and RPMs are low.
To pass, you either step on the gas pedal at least halfway down- and wait for that response---- but the better thing to do is to grab your shifter and pull it down to L.
This automatically drops you 2 gears down. So- from 6 to 4th.
what happens is almost instant response- as the RPMS also climb up.

You step on the gas- and you get an instant response from the revvy engine. Once youre done with your pass, you either hit the shifter buttons up 1 or 2 to get back up to 5 or 6.
or you pop the trans back into D.

another example, on my 2003 Trailblazer with the INLINE 6, Ive described getting on the freeway, and flooring it to merge, the vehicle goes--- but it does feel like the vehicle is dragging a boat anchor.
At some point, the software 'lets go', and its like the anchor and chain broke- because suddenly the vehicle just begins to pull...you literally feel that change..

when this 1st happened to me- I Looked down and I was nearing 90-100 MPH... something like that- and the engine was having no trouble pulling hard. thats what susprissed me-

I remember I went to the forums- and learned of GMs famous Torque Management software.
Lots of owners go to tuners- to TURN OFF this feature- so they can get full output right off the line....

So--- hopefully others will chime in on their 2nd gen experience- but im certain thats what you experienced.

Reactions: ryanlatterell

·
Registered
199 Posts
The following is extracted from my user manual (2015)

D (Drive): This position is for
normal driving. It provides the best
fuel economy. If you need more
power for passing, and you are:
. Going less than 56 km/h
(35 mph), push the accelerator
pedal about halfway down.
. Going about 56 km/h (35 mph) or
more, push the accelerator all
the way down.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Having had 3 of these SUV's (a 2018, a 2020 & a 2021 -- FWD LT's)....never once have I had or experienced that issue

The Traverse is one of the quickest SUV's in it's (price) class actually....I wouldn't worry about it

·
Registered
2020 High Country
746 Posts
My '20 is a tire roaster when in 2wd. No more delay than any throttle by wire vehicle, in fact less delay than my old '07 Mustang GT. I'd stop reading those car rags....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am in the market for a new Traverse and have test driven two separate Traverses, both with the 3.6L engine and 9-speed transmission. Both times when I pressed full throttle on the accelerator, there was a solid one second delay in the engine providing any power. Is this something that is normal post-break-in period? I know that the times of having hard acceleration in a three row SUV are rare, but it makes me concerned about passing and being able to quickly move if the situation called for it. Outside of this (and the somewhat small mirrors), we really like the Traverse, but this could be a dealbreaker.

Thank you all in advance!

(I'm from Orlando, Florida. People not knowing how to drive or who just drive recklessly are quite common around here, hence the question)
I have an 18 with 9 speed and all I'm saying is stay away from this vehicle ever since I bought this suv I've had issues and all the issues have been electrical. and a transmission issue but that also might be a software problem that they don't want to fix with full extended warranty.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have an 18 with 9 speed and all I'm saying is stay away from this vehicle ever since I bought this suv I've had issues and all the issues have been electrical. and a transmission issue but that also might be a software problem that they don't want to fix with full extended warranty.
Sounds like you should use a new dealer. I had one shutter issue with this car, and the shift to park issue. Both done under warrantee. No other issues and 80k miles as of today. Sorry you have had an issue but it’s not systemic to this car. However it could be to your dealer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you should use a new dealer. I had one shutter issue with this car, and the shift to park issue. Both done under warrantee. No other issues and 80k miles as of today. Sorry you have had an issue but it’s not systemic to this car. However it could be to your dealer.
Yeah the shutter issue was done once before but problem came back and now it's worst. I put it in gear and takes about 5 sec. to go in gear I can rev it to 5000 and it won't go. Had the shift to park as well it came back. My tailgate goes up sometime won't come down. There's much more lol I just gave up on the suv.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
GM is known for using software to limit output in certain situations.
I have not driven a 3.6 with the 9 speed... but it could well be GMs way of limiting potential damage to the trans from hard starts.

on the 3.6 with the 6 speed-
(and im sure its similar on the 9 speeds- someone chime in)...
If youre on the road--- or say highway going along at say 60 in DRIVE.
youre in 6th gear and RPMs are low.
To pass, you either step on the gas pedal at least halfway down- and wait for that response---- but the better thing to do is to grab your shifter and pull it down to L.
This automatically drops you 2 gears down. So- from 6 to 4th.
what happens is almost instant response- as the RPMS also climb up.

You step on the gas- and you get an instant response from the revvy engine. Once youre done with your pass, you either hit the shifter buttons up 1 or 2 to get back up to 5 or 6.
or you pop the trans back into D.

another example, on my 2003 Trailblazer with the INLINE 6, Ive described getting on the freeway, and flooring it to merge, the vehicle goes--- but it does feel like the vehicle is dragging a boat anchor.
At some point, the software 'lets go', and its like the anchor and chain broke- because suddenly the vehicle just begins to pull...you literally feel that change..

when this 1st happened to me- I Looked down and I was nearing 90-100 MPH... something like that- and the engine was having no trouble pulling hard. thats what susprissed me-

I remember I went to the forums- and learned of GMs famous Torque Management software.
Lots of owners go to tuners- to TURN OFF this feature- so they can get full output right off the line....

So--- hopefully others will chime in on their 2nd gen experience- but im certain thats what you experienced.
This makes perfect sense! Thank you so much for your response and the detail you included. I imagine it is probably software and it might just be that we aren't used to the way GM does things (we've been a Honda, Hyundai, Chrysler/Dodge family for the most part). I will have to remember the L gear for sure. being in Florida, there is rarely a use for it, but that doesn't mean there isn't one!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for your insight here. I am really sorry to hear that you've had these issues. We had a 2017 Pacifica with the 9 speed that had similar transmission issues. Of course, each automaker does their own thing, but we thought that because the 2021 model year was right before the refresh, and has been on the market for 4 years now, they would be less likely to have issues such as yours. However, we will be keeping an eye on it and ensure that we stay on top of service intervals to reduce the chances of anything happening. We have a trusted dealer and third party mechanic, so hopefully there will be no issues. I do wish you the best with your car and I hope that they can figure something out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The following is extracted from my user manual (2015)

D (Drive): This position is for
normal driving. It provides the best
fuel economy. If you need more
power for passing, and you are:
. Going less than 56 km/h
(35 mph), push the accelerator
pedal about halfway down.
. Going about 56 km/h (35 mph) or
more, push the accelerator all
the way down.

This is would make a lot of sense, especially seeing as I immediately had it all the way down. None of the cars I've driven before have had this noticeable delay in power like this Traverse, but now I am curious and will try it out with others. I also will try it on a Traverse and see what the accuracy is with this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Having had 3 of these SUV's (a 2018, a 2020 & a 2021 -- FWD LT's)....never once have I had or experienced that issue

The Traverse is one of the quickest SUV's in it's (price) class actually....I wouldn't worry about it
Oh, this is wonderful to hear! I know that once it got going, there was certainly a lot of oomph behind it, it was just the initial lag in it. When doing the research, I was told it has the same engine as the V6 Camaro, which doesn't surprise me much at all.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
746 Posts
Very interesting perspective, thank you! I would like to know what you mean by "car rags". I've never heard of that term before.
Magazine and online ''reviews''. All are biased to their advertisers.

·
Registered
404 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts