Traverse Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought an LT with the towing package. Love the car but the wire towing bundle in the glove box is confusing to me. It has open wires on one end and the rectangular connector on the other. I went under the rear end of the car and looked at the connector by the hitch and it has a round receptor that does not fit rectangular connector on the wire bundle. What am I missing or not understanding about this set up? Was there something the dealer was supposed to have done to get this ready? Is this the wrong wiring bundle? Any help would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hi. That harness is used to connect an electric trailer brake control to the vehicle. If you want to do this, the plug end is fitted to a socket under the dash on the driver's side (remove closeout panel first) and the cut ends are attached to the brake controller. You will find more info elsewhere in this forum - just be careful you get the wires connected right. The colour codes are in the manual.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, but I still have another question. How, exactly, do I connect the wire bundle from my boat trailer to my vehicle with the towing package? I used to just have a vehicle with an aftermarket hitch and a standard 4 post wire coupling. So what do I need to do for my Traverse? Do I need to change the recepticle on my trailer wire to fit the round recepticle on the Traverse? Thanks again for any help.

Jackstar

·
Registered
78 Posts
I use an adapter (Walmart about $18) which is plugged into the 7-pin socket and gives you both 4-pin and 6-pin outlets.

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
11,235 Posts
I bought a 7 pin female connector - and wired my cargo rack to it.
SImple to flip up cover and connect.

Id stay with 7 pin connector.

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
COCOATANXRFWD said:
jackstar,

Here's a post on this that I started and finished. Pics should help you on the brake controller (should you install).

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=739.0

Regards,

Jim
All the reviews of brake controllers that I have read say that they need to be mounted perfectly horizontal. Vertically they can vary quite a bit. Do you have any issues with the way you have your mounted?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I have my brake controller mounted on the underside of the dash to the right of the steering column just above my chin (or knee if you're shorter than I am). My Tekonsha Prodigy can be mounted at an angle if needed because it has an internal pendulum that self calibrates to achieve 'level'. However some other models of brake controller may lack this feature. Read your instruction/owners manual that came with your brake controller to determine what if any mounting position can be used.

Simple time-delay algorithm brake controllers don't have this issue because they merely apply a certain amount of voltage to the trailer brakes after a certain amount of time that the brake pedal has been activated. Again, check your owners manual to see what kind of controller you have.

FWIW, my brake controller is *not* mounted as was pictured in the photos in that linked thread. I suspect his was the time/delay algorithm brake controller. I wouldn't mount my Tekonsha Prodigy in this manner.

Checkout my Webshots Album on wiring my Tekonsha Prodigy to my '09 Saturn Outlook XR here:
http://community.webshots.com/album/577989512TZQzLT

The wiring scheme for my Tekonsha Prodigy and the '09 Saturn Outlook (factory V92 equipped) is here:
http://popupexplorer.com/forum/index.php?topic=72189.msg91762#msg91762

·
Super Moderator
2,043 Posts
thanks for the post bigtallvandy!

Hey, did you tow your trailer with your Montana SV6 before? How does your Outlook compare to towing the same trailer?

Thanks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Quantum said:
thanks for the post bigtallvandy!

Hey, did you tow your trailer with your Montana SV6 before? How does your Outlook compare to towing the same trailer?

Thanks.
Yes, we towed with our '05 Montana SV6 and other earlier model year Montana's before that. Bro, there just simply is no comparison. The Outlook tows WAY WAY WAY better than the Montana. Now, not to say the Montana was bad... the Outlook is just far better at it. I couldn't sit in the Montana for longer than 3 to 4 hours straight before I couldn't take it anymore. The Outlook... not so - we can go 8 hours straight in the Outlook!

Tows smooth, good power, you hardly even notice the trailer back there at all. No issue with hills or accelerating to overtake, etc. Not that I do a lot of overtaking when towing... I'm actually quite reserved when towing, but it's great having the power there when you need it to overtake (safely).

It just tows great. Plain and simple. Straight up!

·
Registered
150 Posts
We do a couple of trips each summer that are 600KM round-trip (each). We also do a longer trip each year that is on the order of 500~600KM each way. It just depends. We tend to do the long weekends and not bother with regular weekends.

Yes, it's a pop-up. We haul a full cargo area in the Outlook, 2 adults, 2 kids and 4 bikes (2 on roof rack, 2 on bike carrier that is yoke mounted to the ball-mount). With the stuff in the trailer too, it's pretty hefty for a 10' pop-up.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts