Traverse Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I changed my transmission fluid today. I drove around for 20 mins and my transmission temp got up to 135F with no towing. I let it sit in my driveway for 20 minutes more and it got up to 154F. I really don't got any temperature to compare to. I think it is usually around 160/170F before the adding the cooler. The true test is this Thursday when I go camping with my travel trailer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Did you reroute the hoses to go radiator first, then aftermarket cooler 2nd, then back to the transmission?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Did you reroute the hoses to go radiator first, then aftermarket cooler 2nd, then back to the transmission?
No, I already put everything back together at that point.

So I towed my travel trailer this weekend. It is 2740 lbs dry weight, so loaded it is probably between 3000-3500 lbs. My transmission temp was 225F and coolant temp was 215F while going 75 mph on the highway. Outside temperature was 85-90F and humid.I dropped my speed to 70 mph, and trans temp was 210F and coolant was 200F. Before the trans cooler, my trans temp was 200-205F and coolant was 185F while going 70 mph on the highway pulling a pop up camper that is 1650 lbs dry weight. It is probably around 2000lbs loaded.

I probably tow at 70 mph max moving forward, unless I decide to upgrade to the HD radiator.

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
Your mileage will really suck doing 70mph. But more than that, check your trailer tires and make sure they have a speed rating on them. No speed rating = 65mph max.

·
Registered
298 Posts
If you leave it this way, the cooled fluid leaving the aux cooler is being warmed back up by entering the radiator mounted cooler on the way back to the transmission. This is counterproductive to all your hard work.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Your mileage will really suck doing 70mph. But more than that, check your trailer tires and make sure they have a speed rating on them. No speed rating = 65mph max.
I always balance my trailer tires, since doing that no more roadside blowouts. Even my 10'' rim tires get at least bubble balanced as those small tires and pop up tires are really turning at highway speeds.
Here's what I found on ST (special trailer) tires.
Special trailer tires have a maximum speed rating, just like passenger car and truck tires. Older tires have no special marking to designate a limit. Their maximum speed is 65 mph. Newer tires, those manufactured in 2015 and later, should have one of the following codes on the sidewall to show their rating:

M - 81 mph
L - 75 mph
J - 62 mph

·
Registered
59 Posts
I always balance my trailer tires, since doing that no more roadside blowouts. Even my 10'' rim tires get at least bubble balanced as those small tires and pop up tires are really turning at highway speeds.
Here's what I found on ST (special trailer) tires.
Special trailer tires have a maximum speed rating, just like passenger car and truck tires. Older tires have no special marking to designate a limit. Their maximum speed is 65 mph. Newer tires, those manufactured in 2015 and later, should have one of the following codes on the sidewall to show their rating:

M - 81 mph
L - 75 mph
J - 62 mph
Repairman54. I have a boat trailer, the existing tire size is F78-14ST Nylon tubeless with load range 1710 lbs @ 60 PSI. I am looking for new tires, should I use radial tires instead of nylon tubeless. I found the compatible size for radial is ST205/75R-Load C. Is that correct?

·
Registered
176 Posts

So I towed my travel trailer this weekend. It is 2740 lbs dry weight, so loaded it is probably between 3000-3500 lbs. My transmission temp was 225F and coolant temp was 215F while going 75 mph on the highway. Outside temperature was 85-90F and humid.I dropped my speed to 70 mph, and trans temp was 210F and coolant was 200F. Before the trans cooler, my trans temp was 200-205F and coolant was 185F while going 70 mph on the highway pulling a pop up camper that is 1650 lbs dry weight. It is probably around 2000lbs loaded.

I probably tow at 70 mph max moving forward, unless I decide to upgrade to the HD radiator.
Am I reading this correctly? You added a trans cooler and your trans temp was higher after the installation. Seems to me even a 5 mph increase and 750 lbs increased weight shouldn't cause a 10 degree increase with cooler installed. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Repairman54. I have a boat trailer, the existing tire size is F78-14ST Nylon tubeless with load range 1710 lbs @ 60 PSI. I am looking for new tires, should I use radial tires instead of nylon tubeless. I found the compatible size for radial is ST205/75R-Load C. Is that correct?
That looks like the right conversion size. As far as weight rating a D tire is stronger than a C and I like to go up a load rating or two myself when replacing for a tougher tire. Trailer flats are a pain and higher load rating tires have more ply's and are stronger.
I would switch to radial, more robust tire and they wear longer. My cargo trailer came with non radial tires, they wore out quickly, radials seem to be wearing like iron on it. My boat trailer came with radials, both single axle trailers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
2x with AlisoBob
Aux cooler needs to be between radiator cooler and trans. . Radiator cooler will bring trans. fluid to radiator temps, we want to further lower the fluid temps before going back to trans. .

·
Registered
2,760 Posts
That looks like the right conversion size. As far as weight rating a D tire is stronger than a C and I like to go up a load rating or two myself when replacing for a tougher tire. Trailer flats are a pain and higher load rating tires have more ply's and are stronger.
I would switch to radial, more robust tire and they wear longer. My cargo trailer came with non radial tires, they wore out quickly, radials seem to be wearing like iron on it. My boat trailer came with radials, both single axle trailers.
ST (special trailer) tires have stronger side walls in order to deal with the forces induced by tight turns (like backing up) on multi-axle trailers. If you have a single axle trailer, it's not as important.

·
Registered
59 Posts
ST (special trailer) tires have stronger side walls in order to deal with the forces induced by tight turns (like backing up) on multi-axle trailers. If you have a single axle trailer, it's not as important.
Thanks. It is a single axle boat trailer with a boat about 2,500 lb. I will get a pair of radial tires instead of the original nylon.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Am I reading this correctly? You added a trans cooler and your trans temp was higher after the installation. Seems to me even a 5 mph increase and 750 lbs increased weight shouldn't cause a 10 degree increase with cooler installed. Please correct me if I have misunderstood.
I'm seeing at least 1,000 lbs more, possibly up to 1,500. I'm also seeing pop up to travel trailer, I think the increased drag (especially at 75 mph) is really increasing the load on the Traverse.

Personally, 75 mph in a Traverse towing is too high for my liking. Even more so with a brick in the wind, you are really asking for a lot more heat buildup than if you just slow down. Towing isn't about being the first to get there, it's about being able to get there safely every time you go, not damaging things over time. I also have little trust in trailer brakes to begin with, I wouldn't tempt fate by adding that much more speed to the equation.

Just my opinions of course, and my wife tells me I'm an a55hole all the time, so do with it what you will.

I do agree with some of the others, the new cooler should have been installed after the built-in cooler. This way the built in cooler takes the fluid from 250 or higher, knocks it down to say 225 then your second cooler can bring it down even more.

·
Registered
176 Posts
cinto--Thanks for helping me put it in proper perspective and frame of reference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
If you leave it this way, the cooled fluid leaving the aux cooler is being warmed back up by entering the radiator mounted cooler on the way back to the transmission. This is counterproductive to all your hard work.
I plan on addressing it as soon as I have a free weekend. Hopefully before the end of July.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Yea, the rating for my radial tire is 75 mph. My old trailer was bias which had a rating of 65 mph. I made sure my latest trailer was radial and can handle more.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts