Traverse Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help. I currently own a 2019 Chevy Traverse RS with the towing package. We recently purchased a 19' camper and have towed the camper 3 times. Each time while towing, the Traverse would not allow the car headlamps to work. The headlights would still not work even after disconnecting the camper. The headlights however did return to working eventually. Sometimes within hours and sometimes as long as a few days. Does anyone know what is going on and can recommend a course of action or solution. The manual hints that I may be drawing to much power and the Traverse computer may cutting the lights. Do I need a high output alternator?
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
Hard to imagine the trailer is pulling too much power. The trailers lighting circuits have their own fuses and relays, but can't be pulling more than a few amps, especially if your trailer is a newer one with LED lighting. The aux power pin should be supplying power to the trailers battery, but unless you've got a dead battery and/or you've got something in the trailer pulling lots of DC power (like an inverter feeding a residential fridge - not likely on a 19 footer), it's hard to believe this would be an issue. Further, the wire to the aux power pin isn't very big and hence doesn't pass a lot of current anyway.

Are you using a brake controller? It could be supplying lots of power to the trailer, BUT if that were an issue, your trailer brakes would be (should be) locked up.

On pg 168 of the 2019 owners manual is a discussion of the IntelliBeam system. Are you using a weight distribution hitch with your trailer? If not, I'm wondering if the rear is so low/front so high that it's messing up the IntelliBeam system and causing your issue???

Turning the headlights ON will increase the output of the alternator (see pg 174, Battery Load Management), but I don't see anything alluding to drawing too much power causing the headlights to turn off (other than the timing circuits that turn things off after the car is shut off).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greeentraverse,
Thank you for your comments. I am using a wireless Curt Echo brake controller and a weight distribution hitch. I do not have the IntelliBeam option on my traverse. I have started to check the system voltage on the DIC and have seen it vary from 12.1 all the way to 14.5. So the battery load management is working. I am going to test the effects of the wireless brake controller by seeing if just plugging in the trailer without even moving causes any issues. I will report back.

·
Registered
2020 High Country
176 Posts
12.1 is way too low. Something is pulling it down or system is not charging. At that low of a voltage weird stuff can happen as it may be actually dropping lower affecting the CAN system, modules, etc. .
Are you charging a battery in the trailer ? Like greentraverse said something in the trailer battery charging circuit is bad. Lights would be popping fuses, not pulling voltage down to 12.1 . I suspect the issue is in the aux. charging circuit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Of note with the DIC showing a 12.1 voltage read, that can happen when the Start/Stop is in effect and the engine is off, it can and does get to below 12v and still hold at the reading.

But, with Tow mode selected, the S/S is suppose to not engage or become active, so that also needs to be seen if the voltage is showing that reading with the engine still running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts