Traverse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone here can shed some light onto this for me. I have searched around, but could not find anything good. I have a 2010 1LT with the standard headlights. I found some of the projector style headlights from an LTZ on ebay that I am thinking about getting. I just wanted to know if anyone knew how much work was involved in getting those assemblies traded out. I am also guessing that the bulbs and wiring themselves are the same between the two, it is just a different lens design. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
78 Posts
For what it's worth, my '09 LTZ was delivered with one side projector and the other side standard, presumeably due to inattention in the factory build. My dealer substituted the incorrect lens with no problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a LS and would also like to swap out for the upgraded head light setup. I would think it wouldnt be to much of a problem to upgrade, especially since MatinC said that his came with one of each at first lol, bet that looked wierd.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I can’t say with 100% certainty that you won’t have any issues, but I don’t think you will have any issues at all. I have the LTZ Projector and I swapped out the stock bulbs for HID's. I can tell you both light assemblies use the same bulbs and I would assume the same wiring. Obviously they are the same size and fit, so it should be a plug and play.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses everyone! Has anyone actually taken the assembly out of their car? I am just wondering if it is a farily straight forward process, or if you have to take half the front end apart just to get to one annoying bolt.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I understood The traverse mans question....

he is in fact asking if to remove the lamp-- you have to access 1-2 or several bolts that are in a place that you cant get to-- unless you do something special---- like remove the grille or remove the bumper.

I will add this--- when I 1st upgraded my headlight bulbs to Silverstars---
I tried to look to see if it was easy to remove the headlamp. (like on trailblazers- 2 tabs and grilled removal and it comes right out).

I removed I think 2 screws- and then couldnt get it out-- there was a screw somewhere that I couldnt see. Looked around and couldnt figure out how to access it--- where ever it was...

I ended up going thru the wheel well to change bulbs...

But maybe thru the wheel well you may be able to see the location of the other(s) hidden screws...
I didnt bother looking for more- since it was easier to change bulbs thru the well than to try to remove the whole assembly.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
I too went through the wheel well to get at the lights. It is not too hard, it is just time consuming. I did not remove the wheels, however that would make life easier. It would be awesome to get it on a lift, that way it would be eye level instead of having to lay down and work on your back or knees.

·
Registered
248 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I will be taking the plunge tonight to try and get these swapped out. Having the replacement projector units has been a great help to figure out where they are secured. I too got the 3 bolts on the top undone, and still couldnt get the housing out. I believe there is just one more screw holding things in, which needed to be accessed the same way you get in to change the bulbs. If I can remember, I will try to take some pics of the destruction, I mean, deconstruction and reconstruction process! Wish me luck!

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
the other good news is that Projector lamps are available on the 2010's now. as a special package.
SO- it may be possible to order them if you cant find them on ebay.

·
Registered
202 Posts
ThaTraverseMan said:
Well, I will be taking the plunge tonight to try and get these swapped out. Having the replacement projector units has been a great help to figure out where they are secured. I too got the 3 bolts on the top undone, and still couldnt get the housing out. I believe there is just one more screw holding things in, which needed to be accessed the same way you get in to change the bulbs. If I can remember, I will try to take some pics of the destruction, I mean, deconstruction and reconstruction process! Wish me luck!
Any update on your success or failure on this project, ThaTraverseMan?

Curious minds want to know.

Do you have the part numbers and prices for the replacement projector units available that you can post?

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
traverseman- has not been 'active' since May 19.

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios said:
traverseman- has not been 'active' since May 19.
:(

Oh well, that's the risk one takes when asking for an update on a somewhat stale thread.

That was one of the "appearance" preferences that made us try and get the Acadia, however, in our local area, the selection of affordable 2010 Acadia's with the options we wanted is nearly nil. This would be a 'worthy mod' in my opinion to our Traverse.

Anyone else ever tackle this project?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was hoping for an update on this as well. I see the projector beam headlights on ebay and wondered how hard the swap would be.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
when I tried to remove the headlamps on my 2010 traverse (to install Silverstars) I removed several screws from the top. the lamp was still not moving.
I was halfway thru the removal of the plastic shield up top- when I decided to look around....
I ended up finding that replacing the bulbs was so much easier- by going thru the wheel well.

I put all the other stuff toghether again- and never did find the elusive screw that would release the entire assembly...
so it MAY require the removal of the grill or bumper... Unless theres a screw somewhere that I didnt see.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Thanks for the info, Rbarros.

I know when I installed the tow-hooks on my trailblazer, I had to pull the bumper cover, headlight assemblies, and grill. All and all it wasn't too hard, but that is 2002 GM technology. I would think that removing the grill and bumper cover on the Traverse is a bit more difficult.

Are there Helms service manuals available for the Lambda platform yet? Perhaps someone who has access to one may be able to give us "hints" of what is involved.

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I got curious and went to look..
It appears that the 'elusive' screw holds the part at the bottom (next to item 2)

·
Registered
11,568 Posts
I agree- the grille and headlights on the Trailblazer... I can remove in about 5 minutes.
Never did remove the bumper.

·
Registered
202 Posts
rbarrios said:
I agree- the grille and headlights on the Trailblazer... I can remove in about 5 minutes.
Never did remove the bumper.
The hardened bolts for the Trailblazer "front recovery hooks" required removal of the bumper cover since those bolts come down from the top to secure the hooks. We tried to figure out how to take them off of our 2002 LS before trading it in (to move them to our new TB that came without them) but could not figure it out until I found the how-to on trailvoy.com. Actually the bumper cover wasn't that hard to take off, it helped to have the 'how to' on the laptop screen while removing it.

Holy thread derail, batman. :eek: lol

Looks like that #2 item in your supplied pic may be some type of "alignment nub" or something that is molded into whatever the headlight is resting on?

If there's a posted procedure of how to disassemble the front end, once you get to that stage, I would think that the headlight swap would in fact be plug-and-play. At least for the "projector" option headlights (like the SLE Acadia for example). I think there may be more wiring involved to do HID's with the projection lenses. (Ballasts, DRL reroute or disable or full power, wiring relay harness, etc)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts