Traverse Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder if I'm just not paying attention sometimes. I looked at Traverses for about a month before buying one and never noticed there are different kinds of headlamps. The manual doesn't mention the difference and the sales brochure I got when I bought my truck is no help.

This morning I was out driving my LTZ and pulled up beside a nice looking Traverse LS in the silver color. We drove along side by side for a while and before getting separated by traffic. Down the road, I got stopped by the next red light and the silver LS pulled up directly behind me. That's when I noticed that their low beam headlights are a lot different than mine. I've got the round little clear bubbles whereas their low beams look pretty much just like their high beams.

I'm sure this is a really dumb question, but what's the difference? :-X :thumb:

·
Registered
20 Posts
In the brochure I have, an upgrade to the LTZ includes projector low beam with blue tint and halogen projector high beam headlights (this is how it is worded in the brochure). I would assume the look of these lamps would be different from LS and LT headlamps.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
My 2010 Canadian brochure makes no mention of different headlamps for the LS, LT, LTZ models. I just says daytime running lights with automatic light control. That comes standard on each model.

I thought someone mentioned on this site that the 2009's had projector headlamps, but that was changed for 2010? Or maybe even mid-model year change in 2009? The 2010 brochure shows a Travy on the cover with projector headlamps. But the model is missing the "Traverse" badge on the driver door.

Regards,

·
Registered
865 Posts
My 2010 does not have projector headlamps and was not an option. It seems this was a 2009-only thing. One could get a set of 2009 assemblies and install them into a 2010. But I do not know if the wiring or controls would be different from a 2009. Assemblies are available from GM Parts Direct for about $460 for the pair and you would still have to buy the bulbs.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The list seems to be getting longer and longer of things that were included or were optional on the 2009 and are excluded from the 2010 completely.

Does this worry anybody? It seems to me they're eliminating some pretty desirable stuff.

·
Registered
11,570 Posts
Yes. 2009 LTz's had PROJECTOR headlamps... meaning they had those lamps with the lens-
the bulb behind the lens- is a regular halogen bulb I think...

For 2010- the projectors have been discontinued.

THe enclaves (and upper trim Acadias) get actual HID.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2009 2LT. I wonder if the 2009 LTZ headlight assembly will fit in perfectly. I really like the look of the projectors.

·
Registered
551 Posts
kittarg said:
I have a 2009 2LT. I wonder if the 2009 LTZ headlight assembly will fit in perfectly. I really like the look of the projectors.
Sure would, but best to buy them off ebay as I am sure they are expensive from the dealer. Or try gmpartsdirect.com. I know I saw one on ebay, but just one side!

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
kittarg said:
I don't know your answer, but would wonder if the wiring would be the same for the power "plug in" for the lamps.

Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
I wonder if a a switch to projector beam assemblies for my 2010 1 LT would help in one area I'd like to change my Traverse.

I've been spoiled by the headlights on my wife's G6. Great lowbeams, good coverage. But hit the high beams, and suddenly, the low beams aren't so great. They are the best high beams I've ever used, by a big margin. And the coup de gras is, they don't bother oncoming traffic on Michigan's divided highways. No need to stay poised on the high beam control so not to annoy other drivers!

So back to the subject, I love the head lights on the Trav but for two reasons; 1. They do get "flashing of brights" from oncoming traffic. Did I mention I'd been spoiled? 2. The high beams send a bunch of light, up. When I go to high beams when approaching overhead signage, the reflection is huge, sometimes distracting.

Do projectors have any better pattern control than the stockers?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The projectors have a very flat top cutoff with good side coverage. This is the first vehicle I've had in the last 40 years that I haven't felt the need to add auxiliary driving lights.

Bob

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks. That's good to hear! I'm going to inquire with the service department whether the projector housing will drop in and if the wiring is capable.

It seems the reasons to eliminate the projector option for 2010 would be few. Either GM was subsidizing the true cost of them and felt we wouldn't pay that much, or that they were problematic, seem to be the most likely.

·
Registered
248 Posts
If I were you I would drive a traverse with projection lights first. I don’t know how they are in a traverse but I installed them on a Silverado I had and the stock headlights were much better I hated them they looked nicer but gave a lot less light. I actually gave them away I could not sell them. Now HID lights are very nice but people go overboard getting to 8000K & 10000K and up kits are just too bright but the 6000K & 8000K nice. You can see and you’re not blinding the people in front of you. I am thinking of installing 6000K kit I am checking the local laws now. As far as GM doing away with options people want from 2009 to 2010 I wouldn’t agree with that my wife and I looked at the Traverse in 2009 and couldn’t get Blue Tooth, Voice activated calling with the exception of ONSTAR, IPOD connection and they may have just not had one around but never seen one on the lot with A/C seats there are many more things on the 2010 that were not available on the 2009.

8) Steve

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yep, I wold drive one w/ projectors before buying them. No point in driving one if they don't fit or the wiring is not up to it, though. :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts