Traverse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning to do my first DIY oil change this week on my 09 Traverse. My previous two oil changes I had done at the dealer quick lube. In the past I have used Havoline in oil changes on other vehicles, mainly because that's what my dad used. He recently started moving to synthetics for his vehicles. Reading posts throughout this board, it appears no one has ever done a UOA or even mentioned using Havoline. I think rbarros mentioned it once in regards to his Impala. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Havoline or reasons why not to use it in this engine? It looked like several of you are running Valvoline and figured I might give it a shot if I had good reason not to use Havoline.

Maybe these are the same and I am just clueless. I've never really put a lot of research into oil. Most of my oil changes I've done on cars over 90K miles. My 04 Silverado I just took to the dealer quicklube for the 6 years I had it before I sold it to buy my Trav.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
hi.
I dont recall using Havoline in my Impala.
Ive succesfully used Valvoline.
But tell us what your winter weather will be like- and maybe copperbeach can give his opinion- He lives in Canada where it gets nice and cold.

My coldest temps in Los Angeles are 35-40 and ----my UOA have shown Valvoline Dino does well- but these are the coldest temps I may have seen.

here is a UOA that was posted in the Acadia forum-- and then I helped post on bobistheoilguy.
Its Havoline Dino.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2013184&page=1

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I was just recalling this post where you mentioned havoline in context of your Impala.

rbarrios said:
Our 07 Impala is down to 4% oil life. I think were close to hitting 5500 miles since the last change.
But- I just noticed that Wal Mart had a 5 quart jug of Havoline 5w-30 oil on clearance. Something like $9 or something...
But- the Manual calls for oil meeting GM spec- GM6094M.
I just looked up havoline oil- and the oil meets the spec. So ill buy it and use it.
I live in central Iowa. So my winter temperatures vary a great deal. Say -10°F to 60°F. Last year it stayed below freezing most of the winter.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I should also ask, am I stupid for still changing my oil every 3k miles and ignoring the OLM? I am right at 3K and I think I'm at around 70% OLM. On this oil run we had a 1800 mile trip to the Colorado mountains very loaded down, in August.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
Theres quite a few of us- who BASED ON UOA results- change oil accordingly. We have found some discrepancies with the OLM on the lambdas.
Not sure if its wrong-- or some of the oils just arent up to the DI engines operating conditions.

I say this- because I follow the OLM on my Trailblazer (up to 11,000 miles on dino) and on my Impala (up to 5500 miles on dino)- UOA on those cars show the OLM to be very accurate. So I follow the OLM.
On my traverse--- based on my UOA- I am changing the oil at 50% OLM- which is roughly about 5000-5500 miles.
About 100 miles per 1% of the OLM. This is using Valvoline dino- and with Los Angeles are weather and rush hr traffic.
With me changing the oil at 50% I feel comfortable knowing the oil is doing good- and is not severely beat up by the DI engine.
3000 miles-- in my case--- would be silly- since I know my oil still has life in it.
You may want to pay attention to the UOA of those who live in cold weather climates. those vehicles see ALOT of fuel dilution. so its in your best interest to use the best oil that they have found to be good- and pay attention to the time they had their oil in use. You can then follow the same- and then maybe you can get a UOA- and then be able to make an informed decision for WINTER use.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dstanley said:
I am planning to do my first DIY oil change this week on my 09 Traverse. My previous two oil changes I had done at the dealer quick lube. In the past I have used Havoline in oil changes on other vehicles, mainly because that's what my dad used. He recently started moving to synthetics for his vehicles. Reading posts throughout this board, it appears no one has ever done a UOA or even mentioned using Havoline. I think rbarros mentioned it once in regards to his Impala. Does anyone have anything bad to say about Havoline or reasons why not to use it in this engine? It looked like several of you are running Valvoline and figured I might give it a shot if I had good reason not to use Havoline.

Maybe these are the same and I am just clueless. I've never really put a lot of research into oil. Most of my oil changes I've done on cars over 90K miles. My 04 Silverado I just took to the dealer quicklube for the 6 years I had it before I sold it to buy my Trav.
i'm in central iowa as well....i've been using castrol dino, because it's been cheap at wally world. i do change my oil very often however (2k intervals)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little off topic, but I'm surprised that there aren't more central Iowa drivers on this board simply because of how popular lambdas are here. Specifically for the Traverse, pull into a parking lot and you walk by three just walking into the store. Driving into work and have two in the lanes in front of you. The big dealerships here have rows and rows of them. As a comparison, I was in Denver in August for a week and I don't think I even saw one.

·
Registered
11,417 Posts
bowtie said:
i'm in central iowa as well....i've been using castrol dino, because it's been cheap at wally world. i do change my oil very often however (2k intervals)
I read somewhere that you also dont want to change oil TOO often.
I think it had something to do with the additives that perform best after some miles....
I too was surprissed by this... maybe someone know what im talking about.

·
Registered
80 Posts
dstanley said:
A little off topic, but I'm surprised that there aren't more central Iowa drivers on this board simply because of how popular lambdas are here. Specifically for the Traverse, pull into a parking lot and you walk by three just walking into the store. Driving into work and have two in the lanes in front of you. The big dealerships here have rows and rows of them. As a comparison, I was in Denver in August for a week and I don't think I even saw one.
totally agree i live in mtown and even this area i see them all over the place. of course having Karl chevorlet (largest chevy dealer in the midwest) doesn't hurt.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts